[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Get in here! At 2:55 EST Philip Lubin will be presenting the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: breakthrough_starshot2.jpg (196KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
breakthrough_starshot2.jpg
196KB, 1920x1280px
Get in here! At 2:55 EST Philip Lubin will be presenting the most recent results of the "Directed Energy for Interstellar Study." The send shit to a star using lasers study.

Livestream.com/viewnow/NIAC2016

With today's proxima centauri exoplanet announcement, it should be pretty interesting
>>
neat, I don't know anything about what you just said but I'll watch it
>>
>>8294342
It's over already, though you could rewind it
>>
>>8294232
>>8294342
>>8294345
Kek
>>
>>8294232
tl;dw

Is it a solar sail that we throw photons at rather than waiting for the shitty sun and its shitty inverse square law to push shit along slower than a motherfucker?
>>
>>8294926
only at first

also, bring lasers
>>
Will it be a colored laser? I'd love to see a blue or green ray crossing the skies.
>>
>>8295091
infrared
>>
>>8295091
Possibly. But laser itself will probably be in space. Meaning you won't see the beam. You might be able to see the dot though if you were in just the right place with a telescope.
>>
>>8295141
Will they launch the laser first and then the probe? Or everything at once and then separate into two different modules before aiming and firing the laser??
>>
>>8295169
it's a big fucking laser. You'd build it in space. You'd use it to launch a lot of probes and not just for launching probes
>>
>>8295091
it'd be cool, but whatever you see is just wasted energy

but it'd eb really neat to see a constant line coming off the planet's surface, slowly pushing the planet and the ship apart, like a "get your ass out of here" beam in the sky
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.