[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Study Habits?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: real_analysis.png (74KB, 983x488px) Image search: [Google]
real_analysis.png
74KB, 983x488px
How much time do you spend on studies? How does one stay on task for long periods of time?

I notice that it is often hard for me to spend long periods of time focusing on Math, and I often need to take frequent short breaks or walks when I am doing hardcore studying.

Sometimes, I am not able to get an "real" work done, and instead focus on small semi-pointless-productive tasks that do not require me to think hard.

For example, I should be reading real analysis and numerical analysis textbooks and be working on problem sets right now, but I spent a lot of the day doing other things instead (planning for the week, catching up with old friends, working on a weekly budget, other pointless crap).

To some people, I would be considered "an ideal student" in that I have very good marks, have research experience, and will be graduating 2 years early. In reality, I know that I waste a lot of time and can do a whole lot better, and I wanted to know if anyone else here feels the same way or has any advice (especially those attending graduate school in math).
>>
Yes, pretty much.
>>
>>8294442
This
>>
>>8294442
ditto
>>
>>8294156
Having to take a break is normal.
Study one hour, then do something else for 20 minutes. Exercising is really good.
Then continue studying.
>>
I have the problem where I can only study/learn when I absolutely feel like it. If I don't feel like studying, I won't study, even if there is a test coming up. How do I do things I don't wanna do? 2nd year physics student by the way.
>>
>>8294156
I study in short, concentrated bursts. My short bursts can be months at a time in which I study 5+ hours a days. Once I run out of steam though, I totally crash and do something else for a month or two before continuing my studies. I always take what I'm doing to the extreme and barely know the meaning of the word "moderation," for better or for worse.
>>
>>8294156

I'm able to study 6 hours a day on average by doing 12 pomodoros

google the pomodoro technique, for me it helps because it reminds me to take a break every once in a while, which is what I need to prevent burnout

every 25 minutes you take a 5 min break, just stop thinking about whatever you're doing e.g. I could be trying to prove a difficult equation and those 5 minutes allow me to think about boobs or whatever, something non-intellectual, which helps keep my brain "cooled" in a sense
>>
>How much time do you spend on studies?
Not much
> How does one stay on task for long periods of time?
I usually do 90% of work just before the deadline.
>>
I study all day and take intermittant 4chan/social media breaks along with a couple longer breaks to make food and wtach tv shows and stuff
>>
I read a shitload of material at once and digest it for some time. An outside observer would say I hardly study.
>>
>>8294156
I never studied until the end. Then I would study 16 hours a day for a day or two. Finished top of my class, 3 years early (MPhys).

It's just laziness OP. As you gradually enter the world of employment you stop being lazy. It helps if you become interested in what you're doing.

Right now I'm being lazy posting here, when I need to write about 40 more pages for an annual report due tomorrow end of working day. I drive myself by cornering myself until the pressure is overwhelming and I have to do something.
>>
>>8294156

Before one should ever study, one should study what to study first so you don't waste your precious time studying something unnecessary.

Ask the questions like, what am I studying for, for what reason, why am I studying this?

I did that, people around me, like you study a lot, but here I am working, making a living and living an amazing life because I spent less time studying, and actually doing something useful.

Dear lord save you all.

ps. becoming a doctor is not that hard really, it requires a billion hours of crappy studying, like you are doing, or a few smart hours daily.
>>
>>8296482
In addition to this fellow's advice - understand how you best learn. I always found it odd how some students tried to learn by rote when it was obvious that they found it unnatural. Nobody will find your learning style for you, work it out, and study effectively.
>>
>>8296483

Yes to this man's advice!

And seriously, people, you tiny little people students, listen and mark the words wiser ones say and actually do all you can to learn from them, so you don't have to invent the wheel again.
>>
>>8296483

One more thing, that is not just advice!
It is a solution, a solution how to become a better learner!
And only stupid ones will ignore that on and continue studying the lame way they always have, which people will, because they are stupid.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.