[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the greatest mathematical achievement of the 20th century?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: aaaaaa.png (58KB, 2137x2108px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaa.png
58KB, 2137x2108px
in your opinion
>>
-1/12
>>
>>8294068
The fact that the rationals are countable like the naturals but can be infinitely divided like the reals blows my mind.

What even are the rational numbers? How can they have both of these properties at the same time? Like holy fuck, just this makes them more interesting numbers than the reals. I wonder why most people don't focus on the rationals when there are obviously many hidden theorems lying in this weird relationship the rationals have with the naturals and the reals where it is like an intermediate state of both.
>>
>>8294068
The invention of the atom
>>
the incompleteness theorems
>>
>>8294068
probably the one that contributed the most to the creation of computers, i guess that's gotta be something from Turing or Neumann
>>
File: ramanujan.jpg (87KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
ramanujan.jpg
87KB, 750x500px
>>8294092
the middle ground like that is always most interesting, even geometric objects over the rational numbers... when genus 0 they have infinitely many points, in any genus greater than 1 they have finitely many points, but in genus 1 they have this beautiful structure of having both points of finite order and sometimes infinite order, and there's still no algorithm of determining this number of points, even hundreds of years later
>>
>>8294131
Yes, obviously Gödel's Incompleteness.
>>
Data Science.

Now, Math grads can pretend they are learning something useful.
>>
>>8294068
The long-overdue fully rigorous proof of integration by parts, without a doubt.
>>
>>8294068
The classification of finite simple groups
>>
>>8294068
EGA+SGA+FGA
>>
>>8294081
Meme
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.