[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any of you use this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (71KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 900x900px
Any of you use this?
>>
>>8293822
Good for Mathematics, OK for anything else. Textbooks are (obviously) better.
>>
>>8293822
Me. It's pretty good up to a certain point.
After that it's preferable to just study from somewhere else.
>>
Yes. It's a great way to refresh math concepts, and even better when doing it with someone else. I don't know about the other sections, but the math modules do what they intend to do.
>>
>>8293822
I'll use it for easy explanation. but need to use textbook to do harder examples.
>>
Nope although I know a guy that kind of works there.

I think he's a little full of himself but as he has a way in being easily likeable by others, he is exactly what these kind of websites need.

We all mathematicians wished deep inside math didn't have such a bad rep so I guess I'm okay with this thing

:(
>>
>Let me tell you about my favorite videos on math.
>Khan.... let me just write that out here...Khan... I'll do this in Purple. Khan...Academy.... You know, let me write Academy in Green. Khan... Academy.
>And you know, let me give you an intuitive sense as to why Khan Academy is useful.
>*COUGH*
>Let me write out my reasons over here in red..
>No, you know, blue is better.
>One reason is that he makes it simple
>Let me tell you why it's simple
>*writes out simple very slowly* Simple... Simple... You know what, let me write this out with every letter having it's own color.
>Let me tell-
>Let me tell you why it's simple.
>**Sal wrote out simple in 6 different colors, he meant to do it in 7** dialogue box pops out
>And if you could donate to Khan Academy.. Let me spell that out for you.
>Khan.... This time I'll do it in pink...... Academy....
>If you could-
>If you could donate to Khan Academy, see I spelt it out here
>*circles the pink Khan Academy*
>If you could donate that'd be great.
>I hope you have an intuitive sense of why his videos are so great.
>>
>>8295372
Hahahahahahahhhha that bad?!
>>
>>8295372
>>8295615
It's more of a meme desu

But memes aside he isn't that bad, I feel like he is geared towards younger children, like 7 or 8 year olds. Adults like on /sci/ would obviously dislike KhanAcademy because they know textbooks are better, and have better problems.
>>
>iposteditagain.jpg
>>
>>8295622
Well, it was funny but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if a. Lot of videos are filled with cringy shit like that
>>
File: 1446865787872.jpg (298KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1446865787872.jpg
298KB, 1920x1080px
You people seem to shit on KA because "textbooks are better".
I'm a faggot never learned math properly in school, so i have to re-learn ALL the basic shit like +-*/^ and () and graphs and shit. The textbooks i've seen for low-level stuff like this are DOGSHIT, they don't explain anything more than "a+b is c therefore y=2 lol get it? here solve these 50 practice numbers:" they seem to assume that you have a tutor to actually explain shit continuously as you progress.

Are there any textbooks for this early math that don't suck?
>>
>>8296510
Well, some tutors suck too, not all textbooks are bad and not all tutors are better than any textbook.

I think basic math textbooks sucks because in practica you don't need them. As soon as you get behind in class (no author expects you to be homeschooled or something like that) you talk to your professor a couple of times to get you doubts solved and do the double exercises just to check you can repeat what you learned...

If you expect deeper shit like "why a negative number times a positive one is a negative number" explained in books you won't find them because even some professors don't know why it happens, they just know it's true.

If you're really curious, do a major in math and realize it's an axiom or quickly derived from other axioms... Disappointing but whatever
>>
File: AlphaCentaurifactions.jpg (86KB, 680x512px) Image search: [Google]
AlphaCentaurifactions.jpg
86KB, 680x512px
>>8293822
I feel like Khan Academy will evolve into a faction in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
>>
>>8296510
Try Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang.
>>
>>8296510
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations#Preschool_.28Arithmetic.29
>>
I love khan academy unironically and it sort of makes k-12 math education obsolete (I know there were textbooks before but khan has guided problems, videos, etc that would appeal more to an average kid)
>>
File: 1447173751395.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1447173751395.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>8296734
>Try Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang.
Thanks, i'll check it out

>>8296749
>http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations#Preschool_.28Arithmetic.29
I was poking around that place earlier, but missed this one, thanks

>>8296713
>If you expect deeper shit like "why a negative number times a positive one is a negative number" explained in books you won't find them because even some professors don't know why it happens, they just know it's true.

>If you're really curious, do a major in math and realize it's an axiom or quickly derived from other axioms... Disappointing but whatever

thanks m89, now i'm a bit less frustrated about this whole situation. I think i need to stop trying to think like this:
>it can't be this simple, there has to be some deeper shit i'm not understanding
and just go with it...

btw this board is really good, i was not expecting quality replies
>>
>>8296763
I would agree with you up to Pre-Calc; otherwise, the practice problems and depth isn't as good as a good Calculus textbook. Then again, KA is generally used as an aide in conjunction with teaching, generally filling in gaps as you go, so this issue isn't so prevalent (unless you're auto-didactic). That's how I feel about it, at least.
>>
>>8293822
>Girl in my college algebra classes doing better than me all semester.
>Girl takes a short leave of absence.
>''No prob anon, I use Khan incessently''
>Girl fails the final
>I pass the final.
For what it's worth. I don't bother with it, i prefer to grind and seek tutoring
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.