[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do with a M.Sc in Computational Biology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: DnaOFtheGrinch.jpg (18KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
DnaOFtheGrinch.jpg
18KB, 300x200px
Hi Sunflowers,

I will be graduating in the next yearin my compoutational biology major. So there is a lot I have learned about satatistics, machine learning (bioinformatics) and mathematical modeling (what they cal systems bio). But for a reason, I am thinking about studying medicine or pharmacy for another 6 to 7 years. I would be in my mid 30 when I am done, if I choose to study these.

The reason is, that I kind of feel useless with all the knowledge I have. Of course, if it were not for science (biology, chemistry, ...) we would not have all these advances in medicine and pharmacy, but the borader public is not realizing this. If you are not a doctor (medicine) the "normal" people dont even know what you are doing as a biologist (probably something with animal kingdom bla bla). So they dont even aknowledge, that this is some serious shit and we are on the frontline of human tackling the problems of the world (inlcuding bioeconomy, ecology etc.)

So I feel kind of useless...also, I think that, people are getting more and more stupid and laugh about educated people for their education. Look at turkey. They are all against research and academia...even being an educated person is dangerous right now.

Should have done medicine from the start...then people would say something like "ooohhhh he is a doctor". But most of these "doctors" would not know shit about how to treat people if t were not for biologists....

developed countries are also totally disrespecting scientists with their fucking time-limited contracts and shitty salary.

gonna kill myself with some anthrax...
>>
>fluent in english
>msc in comp bio
Flee to a better country, return if things get improve.
>>
>>8291776
>developed countries are also totally disrespecting scientists with their fucking time-limited contracts and shitty salary.

Could you plz recommend one?
>>
>>8291771
I feel the same OP.

How do people deal with that false feeling of inferiority to doctors?
>>
>>8291794
it is hard. From a perspective of a common soul, who does not know what the hell a biologist is doing, I would always go with my doctor. So even if the biologist is giving some valid arguments (lets say in a debate about a health issue), the doctor could just use some childish ad hominem attacks, and I would laugh about the biologists suggested stupidity.
Cause, he is a doctor - come on, he is saving lifes.

The problem is, that all of the knowledge gained from a scientist, are made public and available to everyone. And its a qustion of licence. So after a new cancer-target has been identified (after decades of hard work), the doctor can prescribe it to the patient (he is harnessing the knowledge and using his licence), without even understanding the details of how it works, so in the end...he is the hero....

I mean, it is so funny, but I have been in some debates with some people from the middle-east. In their society, a doctor is a king. But when you say, taht you are using modified microbes to produce the drugs (insulin or whatever) that their doctor is prescribing them, they are acusing you of "playing God" for "modifying microbes". Thats a devils act. But at the first sight of disease, they run to the doctor again...and praise him...the Lord and savior..
>>
>>8291815
And the fact that all scientificly gained knowledge is made public is for the sake of humanity. For the society. The scientists of a society are there to make the society better, improve it, solve problems...some serious PR work has to be done there....
>>
>yearning for praise from the general public

You are on a false path.

The true reward is the grudging respect of the five other people on the globe working in the same sub-area of your sub-field which no one outside of several dozen people on the globe has even heard of.

t. academic

(that or monetising your cutting-edge contributions)
>>
>>8291841
actually, not only from the general public, but also from politics - like look at the market? the salary....I know its all demand, but the demand needs to be changed, or biologists need to get more licenses

And general public is also influencing politics....in germany for example, the green party is all against GMO. Actually they are against everything what has the term "gen" in the name. They dont even know what this is....but they are against it...and the people are voting for it....result: crop science, mordern genetics etc are banned...
>>
>>8291771
What place do you live in? Canada has tons of job postings in fields like Bionformatics, Mathematical Biology and so fourth all of which list off skills like machine learning and statistics etc. As a math major, I'm tempted to go into the field in grad school but my heart is just not there. Come here if you can't get work wherever you are.
>>
>>8291972
Huh? Where in Canada is this? We are way behind the states in terms of any kind of interesting job market. I am probably gonna move down there cause our job market is so lame :S

I know Toronto (where I live/did grad school) has like 30 hospitals downtown so it's the medical imaging center of the country if I am not mistaken. Is this where you are referring to?
>>
>>8291972
I am in germany, but germany is dying out. Immigration is changing the job market and the demographics. So in like 15 years, science in germany will be like in the middle-east => none
>>
>>8292056
I'm german too and I'm considering going to eastern europe (Hungary, Czechia, Croatia, etc.) to study medicine (I already have a degree).
I don't think I would come back to germany if I finish med school there...
>>
>>8291771
Don`t know where you are from, but chicks of age 18-23 get pretty wet when i tell them that i`m doing science
>>
>>8292056
>Germany is dying! Its a white genocide!
>Still well over 90% white

>going to shitty countries to study medicine
kek stop lying and go back to pol
>>
>>8292173
what? The german population is dying out. Its a fact. Its not propaganda I make. I just realize and accept the facts and ask what I could do.

And 90%? yes maybe for now...but it will just change...and I mean...it is like that, so I am searching for alternatives. Thanks for your comment though
>>
>>8291771
>>8291771
>What do with a M.Sc in Computational Biology
apply to burger king.
oh wait it'll be automated by then.
>>
>>8292080
>I'm german too and I'm considering going to eastern europe

the only reason people do this (here in sweden it's the same deal) is because they're not smart enough to qualify to a med program in uni
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.