[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get comfy with math and physics. I have a question.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: comfy.png (138KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
138KB, 300x250px
I want to get comfy with math and physics.

I have a question. Am I right when I assume that there are 3 major highly advanced uses for math? ( I know I'm speaking in relevant terms )

-3D rendering & perspective based rendering (VR). (What field of math is associated with this)
-Math associated with Physics. We observe phenomenon and make mathematical models on top of previous models.
-Actuary. Perhaps similar the how we create new models for physics but the data is a lot more variable/chaotic since the data comes from people and economic factors.

I'm trying to get a check list going.
I'm gonna get my life right. I'm gonna pursue mathematics and make it practical by keeping up with my CS

>I know how I categorized the 3 different advanced uses for math is probably very ignorant, but I have to start somewhere. Thanks anon
>>
>>8289563
>What field of math is associated with this

Stereometry and algebra.

Your list is shit though. Those are not advanced uses of math. They are established uses of math that date hundreds of years back and are now obsolete in terms of mathematical importance given that they are so trivial.

But you are a CS major so it is not like you would care about anything beyond those things so whatever.
>>
>>8289623
what more is there.
please explain.

what can that math be applied to?
>>
>>8289640
>what more is there.

You are completely forgetting about pure math and that is where the 'highly advanced uses for math' lie because pure math becomes applied math after the field has already been solved.

>what can that math be applied to?

Literally anything. What do you care about?

Something big right now in applied math is general solutions to calculate global minimum of functions (think calculus). When I attended a speech on this hosted by a PhD researching it she gave an example where you have a function that describes the profit and a function that describes the risk so you want to maximize profit while minimizing risk but how do you even do that? Literally unsolved which is why stochastic models are used for computer trade but if mathematicians find a way to always find the best way, regardless of the complexity of the problem, then everyone will make a lot of money.

That probably falls around the spectrum of actuary but it is not something that is done in industry right now because these things are only discussed in academia.
>>
>>8289687
linguistics is one area.
I'm sure a lot more context is needed to figure out what needs to be done with the numbers and functions.
but yes, linguistics, genetics, and artificial-genetic evolving simulations .
>>
>>8289687
>then everyone will make a lot of money.
except mathematicians

literally cucks
>>
>>8289720
calculated
under
compensated
kek
suckers
>>
>>8289720
>except mathematicians

>He doesn't know that the one guy right now using stochastic models for computer trading, making literal billions, is a mathematician and that everyone working under him is also a mathematician.

It is a job only mathematicians can do. Are you literally retarded?

When actual general methods come out who do you think will make the first company? Another mathematician.
>>
>>8289687
>because pure math becomes applied math after the field has already been solved.

A lot of math was invented out of the need to solve real problems. I would dare to say most of it.
>>
>>8289884
>A lot of math was invented out of the need to solve real problems.

Yeah and at that time that was pure math. Then it got solved and then passed on to applied math while mathematicians generalized and continued doing their pure research.

Example: Calculus and Analysis.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (6KB, 240x210px)
download (1).jpg
6KB, 240x210px
how relevant is MathWorks/MatLab in the STEM industries?
>>
>>8291502

extremely relevant
>>
I did that, too. Learning all I could to satisfy my curiosities. Since I was young, I knew I never wanted to be left wondering what was already known; if there were truths out there, I would seise the advantage of the age in which I was born. I would not have to be stuck trying to understand the world around me, like those poor souls that lived only a few hundred years before me. But there was a great difference between what I was learning, and what my own sensibilities told me. Sadly, most of my life was lived in this sort of cognitive dissonance. I'm going to tell you something - something you will be inclined to instantly reject. But it is a truth that's been hidden from us, and one those that that seek to keep it hidden have gone as far as to create a society with the express purpose of leading you away from the truth; a society of controlled opposition. When I impart this to you, you will instantly have a dozen thoughts that you believe will refute it, but if you - like all those that took on researching this issue - see it through, you will come to know that it is the truth. And this truth will dump everything you thought you knew on its head. This video will address all your immediate concerns about this issue. It will disabuse what you thought to be correct, and bring you realization and understanding. This video is six hours long, but it will take you though the entire geocentric model. And that is the only hint I will give you now as to the nature of this video. Here's the link. Just cut-and-paste it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhRiLP32qfs
>>
>>8289884
Most math is invented for solving problems in math, which I'm sure you don't consider to be real problems.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.