[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Howcome everyone is talking about CERN and their LHC, but no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 5V0p5AqeaMYvt_aaZe4m.jpg (45KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
5V0p5AqeaMYvt_aaZe4m.jpg
45KB, 500x281px
Howcome everyone is talking about CERN and their LHC, but no one here on /sci/ seems to even know the existance of MAX IV?

I mean, MAX IV is quite more advanced than LHC and they will be able to conduct diffrent testings, which isnt doable in LHC.
>>
>>8286332
>one of a kind multiple-TeV particle accelerator used to search for completely unknown physics
vs
>one of nearly 100 few-GeV accelerators used to make X-rays to study things like condensed matter
>>
I'd imagine because of the massive scale and cooperation that went into the LHC along with the fundamental, widely desired results it was built to find.
>>
>>8286367
>X-rays to study things like condensed matter
That's ONE of the multiple things MAX IV will be doing, yeah..?
They have a particle accelerator where they'll conduct tests much like LHC.

And their particle accelerator is smaller, yes, but that just means the tests will be done in a smaller scale? Does not mean they will preform high end tests on unkown subjects?

Regardless of that, it's still the worlds strongest and most advanced synchrotron radiation facility?
You genuinly believe it does not deserve to be known by the anons of /sci/ simply because it's not locked on ONE small portion of accelerator-related science like LHC?

>>8286394
Well, I'm not questioning why LHC is famous.
I'm simply questioning why a faility like MAX IV is entierly unkown to /sci/
>>
>>8286367
Also, LHC is 7 TeV, MAX IV's two particle accelerators are 1,5 GeV and 3 GeV.
>>
>>8286525
>And their particle accelerator is smaller, yes, but that just means the tests will be done in a smaller scale?

Novice here:
Can you elaborate on 'smaller' and 'smaller scale'?
>>
>>8286525
>They have a particle accelerator where they'll conduct tests much like LHC.
No, it's a light source, not a collider.
>>
>>8286332
what is more advanced about it anon?
>>
>>8286538
....... They have a actual collider too..
It's a facility with multiple purpose, fi you havent understood that already.
As I said before, shooting x-ray is only one form of testing they'll be doing.

>>8286535
I'm a novice myself, derp.
To me though, it only seems obviouly however that certain tests would require a stronger accelerator.

Like ESS (European Spallation Source) that is actually being built right next to MAX IV, that's being built because the old facility is out dated and not good enough.
Higher end testing requires better facilites, no?
>>
>>8286542
That instead of being a facility with one purpose, it's a multi-puprose one.
Wouldnt you say that makes it more advaned?

And compared to other synchrotron radiation facilities, it's the strongest and largest one in the world..?
Also, there is some new technology that I frankly don't quite understand so I wont talk about it since I don't want to make myself look like a retard.
>>
>>8286547
>They have a actual collider too.
[citation needed]
>>
>>8286551
It's not the largest NSLS-II, APS, ESRF... all larger.

Please stop talking out of your ass.
>>
>>8286573
"Sweden has set out to build the brightest X-ray source in the world."

"With the MAX IV facility, Sweden will have the highest quality of X-rays available to scientists and industry in the whole world."

"Sweden can and should be proud of this unique facility. Many other countries, much bigger and wealthier than Sweden, have tried to accomplish this but have not been successful."

Okay fine, maybe not largest by building size, but it's the most advanced and "largest" when it comes to capability.
So I'm sorry anon but I believe it's _you_ who needs to stop talking out of your ass.
Source: https://www.maxiv.lu.se/about-us/

>>8286568
Trying to find a direct quote seems to be harder than I thought.
I did however find on their website that they are using electron guns, apparently the same type that is being used in LEP, also run by CERN.
That's also a collider..?
So why would they have the exact same equipment as a particle accelerator collider, if they don't have a collider..?

Or is there another use for them that I'm actually unaware of?
>>
>>8286573
>>8286638
Shitty wiki as source, just even more proof it's the largest and most advanced..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAX_IV

"MAX IV is the next-generation synchrotron radiation facility in Lund, Sweden. It is the strongest of its kind in the world"
>>
>>8286638
>>8286643
>shilling this hard for a particle accelerator, of all things

why tho
>>
>>8286638
>that is being used in LEP
LEP was disassembled to put the LHC in the tunnel.
>Or is there another use for them that I'm actually unaware of?
Make X-rays.
>>
>>8286638
>That's also a collider..?
LEP doesn't exist anymore. And no, LEP had a proton ring, this does not. It also doesn't have counter rotating beams, so it cannot be a collider like LEP.

>So why would they have the exact same equipment as a particle accelerator collider, if they don't have a collider..?
Because they're both particle accelerators, both synchrotrons at that. This is not a collider however.

>Or is there another use for them that I'm actually unaware of?
An electron gun is just a particle source. Particle accelerators need particles. It doesn't make it a collider any more than a medical accelerator.
>>
>>8286658
>>8286673
Mhm. Okay, so them using the same type of electron & proton gun (LEP/LHC and MAX IV) is due to them both being particle accelerators, synchrotrons?
But then I get a new question, if it's the same type of equipment, howcome MAX IV didn't (if they now actually does not have one) build a collider?
I mean, one of their primary research will be in trying to find/create new materials? Wouldnt a collider be quiiiiiiiite good to have at hand then?

And truth be told, regardless if they have a collider or not, why isnt this facility more known? It's used by almost 40 countries already and it's only been in active use for what.. 2-3 months?

If I flip the coin, why isnt ESS known? Simply because it's still being built?
I just find it odd how everytime Sweden does something great, no one seems to ever find out about it.

>>8286649
I'm at work. Bored.
Gotta do something, right..?
>>
>>8286698
>Okay, so them using the same type of electron & proton gun (LEP/LHC and MAX IV) is due to them both being particle accelerators, synchrotrons?
No. MAX IV doesn't use a proton gun, it doesn't have a proton ring and you don't generate protons like you do electrons.

>if it's the same type of equipment, howcome MAX IV didn't (if they now actually does not have one) build a collider?
Because it's a light source, not a collider. For the same reason your car isn't a boat, because it is something different. A collider is for different science, and the low energies of a light source mean it isn't particularly interesting as a collider. It would also be much more expensive.

>I mean, one of their primary research will be in trying to find/create new materials? Wouldnt a collider be quiiiiiiiite good to have at hand then?
No. Colliders look at nuclear and particle physics, they can't tell you anything about solid state physics or materials science.

>And truth be told, regardless if they have a collider or not, why isnt this facility more known? It's used by almost 40 countries already and it's only been in active use for what.. 2-3 months?
Because it's one of several 3rd generation light sources, NSLS-II will almost certainly have higher brilliance in the end. I don't think most people could name one of any type, you don't even seem to know what it is despite coming on here to claim it's the second coming of Jesus. Did you hear about Diamond when it opened a few years ago? No.
>>
File: 1355408047268.jpg (104KB, 515x515px) Image search: [Google]
1355408047268.jpg
104KB, 515x515px
>>8286332
>conducting experiments that cannot be reproduced anywhere else
And physicists wonder while people think they are spergs
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.