[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was telling my sister about how some physics student asked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20160810_132707.jpg (2MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160810_132707.jpg
2MB, 4160x2336px
I was telling my sister about how some physics student asked me the day before our QM exam what eigenvalues and vectors were. She didn't know what they were either, and she just recently graduated as a chemical engineer from a prestigious university with top grades.

I got into an argument with her since I couldn't believe she had no idea about them, but she kept telling me that it would never have a use in her life. I tried giving examples but they were mostly for other engineering disciplines, but she insisted her job was about telling these guys what she wanted done and they do it in accordance to her demands.

So /sci/, what are eigenstuff used in real life? And/or specifically chemical engineering?
>>
>>8282800
Buckling analysis in structural engineeeing is a biggie

Now you know why no one respects females engineers, 90% of them ride the gravy train just because they have a vagina
>>
>>8282814
>90%
Citation?
>>
>>8282800
>chemical engineer
>chemical
Now you know why she doesn't know what eigenvalues/vectors are. A lot of chem majors go through their entire program without ever taking a linear algebra course or even completing the calculus series in general. They hit subjects like quantum chemistry and coast by the derivations for stuff in quantum mechanics, which means they never fully understand the mathematics behind the results or the physics.
>>
PageRank builds on eigenvalues
>>
>>8282800
>So /sci/, what are eigenstuff used in real life?
They can be used to solve coupled differential equations. That should be sufficient to convince someone who supposedly has an engineering degree of their use. Basically everything is a differential equation.
>>
>>8282800
What the fuck is she going to do with Eigenvalues.
Maybe if she was mechanical or civil it would make sense.
>>
>>8282800
>prestigious university
>engineer
What school could she have gone to and not taken a math class that taught it?
>>
>>8282800
IRL you won't use the majority of the math you learn. It's true that the stuff you will do will depend on that mathematics and that you will use rules, tools, and software that required knowledge of those things in order to be built/designed/developed, but you yourself will never use or see them.

Don't think this means that none of your classmates will use this stuff either. It's hopeful that 1% of the students will go on to do some new research with the technology and in doing so may lead to new innovations that could improve the field IRL. I'm only saying that if you're struggling to justify your own sense of self worth then you are unlikely to be that 1% and should either just kill yourself now or fall into a crappy little brainlet career.
>>
>>8283092
this
I'm chemE and eigens came up in at least 3 courses (after the math course they were introduced in, of course)

but she's basically right, eigens dont really come into play unless you go academic, or do research-type work, and that's only a maybe
>>
>>8282800
>So /sci/, what are eigenstuff used in real life? And/or specifically chemical engineering?
It plays a major role in control systems stability analysis. Also everything involving systems of diferential equations.

Btw, she said she doesn't remember it or she didn't learn it at all? I doubt a prestigious university would not teach basic linear algebra to ChemEs.

>>8282839
> A lot of chem majors go through their entire program without ever taking a linear algebra course or even completing the calculus series in general.
Your university must be really shitty.
>>
>>8283288
Maybe they use the proper name instead of the German one.
I mean we don't still use Zahlen do we?
>>
>>8282800
your sister sucked someone's dick
>>
>>8283242
What I told her is that she would never be able to build a model to increase a chemical plant's efficiency since she relied on everyone else's expertise to do anything.
>>8283048
That's the question
>>8283092
>>8283288
She said she did some matrix stuff in her first year but she doesn't remember it (was 4 years ago)
>>8282868
She insists that since she can simply plug it into Matlab to solve it numerically, knowing how to solve pdes is also useless
>>
>>8282800

Chem E here...
I learned they are good for solving systems of linear ODEs. Typical Tank problems where you can determine the concentration at some time given some flow rates.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.