[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science of self-control

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Does science know yet how exactly self-control works and how to improve it?

Like how exactly differs the brain activity of a person with high self-control vs low self-control in a tempting situation or where you need to focus despite discomfort. Is there a proven way already to improve self-control?
>>
>>8280611
List everything science "knows", put it in a time capsule for 100 years, open it and watch everybody laugh their asses off.
>>
>>8280611
Posts like these make me wonder whether the poster is underage or literally retarded. I guess we'll never know.
>>
>>8280770
What is the purpose of your post?
>>
>>8280611
>Is there a proven way already to improve self-control?

Seriously? Martial arts, meditation, stop being a faggot... neuroscience tells us some of the mechanisms, eg cortical function, the medial prefrontal cortex and testosterone levels playing a role in suppression/management of emotional responses, but that doesn't exactly help with the practicality of self control. Guess you just have to train your mind the centuries-old proven ways. Thank you for coming to /x/. I mean, /sci/.
>>
>>8280774
You're right. I was out of line. I'm sorry I lashed out, everyone. I found out I'm gay this morning, been an emotional roller coaster.
>>
>>8280788
>Martial arts

Any studies?
>>
>>8280796
'Kinell. Bro hug.
>>
>>8280801
You're asking for scientific research? I've no idea. Thirty years and I never thought to look. Go and train and find out for yourself. It is the only way you will know.
>>
>>8280770
Hey man why are you so aggressive? I made this post because I want to better myself, last week I almost beat up my mom's boyfriend because he said something borderline racist (I don't like being called a "whiteboi").
Why don't you try to be helpful? Okay, I'm just 18 but that doesn't mean I'm retarded or something.
>>
>>8280851
He already apologised and said why.
>>
File: oh.jpg (38KB, 867x415px) Image search: [Google]
oh.jpg
38KB, 867x415px
>>8280866
>>
>>8280611
>Is there a proven way already to improve self-control?

Actually yeah, I have something for you:

I read a study once (which I'll try to find after I post this) that showed that self-control is a translatable skill. As in if you practice self-control at one task, you will have more self-control in other not-obviously-directly-related tasks. EG holding in your pee-pee when you have to go wee-wee, you will be better able to restrain yourself from eating a delicious delicious cookie that is placed in front of you.

Based off of this, if you want to improve self-control, I say do it in the little things. Chew more slowly. Take the stairs. Breathe with intention. Shit like that.

I'll post again if I can find that study. I seem to recall them having a super interesting experimental procedure, y'all would probably get a kick out of it anyways.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.