[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NASA is a step further to sending humans to Mars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: ssc-20160729-s00586.jpg (94KB, 1041x697px) Image search: [Google]
ssc-20160729-s00586.jpg
94KB, 1041x697px
I just read in the news NASA finished building his rocket and already tested the engines to send humans to Mars.
What do you think about this mission in general?
I thought humanity wouldn´t step another planet until 2050+, but I am very surprised it could happen during the 2020's
>>
It'll be later than that by a little bit. Right now the plan is a lunar flyby between 2021-2023 and then the asteroid redirect mission in 2026.

Nothing planned after that yet
>>
>>8280493
spacex supposedly wants to get the first humans on mars by 2025. nasa astronauts will probably be the ones going. sls is a shit show.
>>
>>8281464
>sls is a shit show

correction: SLS is a way to keep paying pet contractors with the promise of a possible maybe sometime in the somewhat near future trip to Mars.
>>
>>8280493
>nasa_blaze_it_420.jpg
>>
>>8280493

SLS will be flying by 2023 at the latest, same for Orion. Once that is done all NASA needs is to develop a lander (Altair) so we can go back to the moon. This is likely to happen in the mid or late 2020s.

Mars missions are a bit more complicated due to the necessity of interplanetary stages. NASA will have to develop this, and probably an orbital fuel depot as well. And a Mars lander. So a Mars mission probably won't happen until the 2030s or 2040s.

>>8281464

SpaceX will probably get plenty of probes onto Mars by 2025, but manned missions outside of LEO are unlikely due to the immense R&D costs. NASA, despite being the shitshow it is, has a lot more resources than a private company (and can afford to fuck up).
>>
>>8280493
I think they should send monkeys first.
>>
>>8280493
How are they going to protect the humans from radiation?
>>
>>8283141
Orbital beach umbrella
>>
>>8280493
Cool, call me when they finally send balloon probes to Venus.
>>
We could build a Bernal Sphere for the same cost, which would cut 90% off Mars mission costs.
>>
>>8283487
We would have to set up a process of mining asteroids, pulverizing rock into soil, and rotating the thing without breaking it apart.
>>
>>8283513
Bernal spheres traditionally would be built out of mined metals, not carved out of asteroids. Either from near-Earth asteroids or lunar materials sent up via mass driver.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.