[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a Low-Cost High-Quality DIY Spectrometer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: WT04.02.Figure2.jpg (58KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
WT04.02.Figure2.jpg
58KB, 600x448px
Has /sci/ ever built a DIY spectrometer before?

I'm looking to do so using some of the basic build principles from the Open Lab Spectrometer project, but rather than using their webcam-based design, I'm looking to use a linear CCD array with an Arduino as a microcontroller so I can get some actual shit done with it. Arduino aside, I am aiming for a total build cost less than $100.

I am mostly wondering if it's possible to get high-quality optical mirrors without going over-budget. I'm looking for a concave one for light focusing, and another for light collimation. Anyone know of any suppliers (shipping from China is fine) that could supply that kind of thing on the cheap? I don't want to start designing the build until I have all my parts so I can get the build geometry worked out.

CCD arrays and diffraction grating are incredibly inexpensive, so if any optics dudes could point me in the right direction, I should be set.
>>
>>8277043
>>8277043

> tarduino

oh boy
>>
File: 1305LFW01f1.jpg (38KB, 375x299px) Image search: [Google]
1305LFW01f1.jpg
38KB, 375x299px
>>8277049
Should I use something else? I'm all ears on suggestions on the electronics; this will be my first project of this sort.
>>
>>8277043
>>high quality optics
>> cheap
Pick one

What part of the spectrum?

You can buy a handheld spectrometer for $250:
https://www.consumerphysics.com/

I think it is pretty shit though

Here's another one:
http://paxinstruments.com/opensource-spectrometer/
But it almost exclusively works in the visible range
>>
>>8277338
>>8277338
I'm looking to use it in the VIS-NIR range. The plan is for it to be used for field vegetative studies, so the NIR part is pretty important. 400nm to 900nm would be top-shelf.

That last link is definitely interesting. Shame that it tops out at 780nm, seems like that's a running theme for microspectrometers. I suspect that's due to using tiny linear ccd arrays, but that's just a guess.

That scio thing I'll need to read into more, but you aren't wrong about it looking a bit shit.
>>
I found some concave diffraction gratings on AliExpress but I've never used that site before.... so I need to specify how many I want and wait for manufacturers to respond with a quote?
>>
you could build something like the first spectrometer
a dark box with a bunsenburner (blue flame thad doesnt light) and a prisma
and some camera maybe

the bunsrnburner burns your probe wich emits light that is fokused with mirrors to a camera or other screen
>>
>>8278667
I think you misunderstand.

I'm trying to measure upwelling radiance reflected from outdoor targets, not the chemical composition of burned materials or flourescence or absorption or anything like that.
>>
>>8278720
Like for measuring photosynthesis and stuff? Sounds like you'd be measuring visible light and shit. For that a web cam and some cheapo plastic diffraction grating might do.

Shit man you might be able to get a hyperspectral camera for cheaper than a spectrometer. They're getting cheap because farmers like to use em'
>>
>>8278834
That's essentially what I'm going for, yeah. A webcam won't do the job because I need variable exposure time (depending on light conditions), and I'd want a sensor with at least 16-bit radiometric resolution. That part is cheap and easy, just throw a $5 CCD array on an Arduino.

It's really just the optics I'm wondering about, although it seems like I should be able to manufacture a curved surface upon which I can put a diffraction grating which will eliminate the need for mirrors (like the microspectrometer anon linked above does).

I'm curious as to where you've been able to locate cheap hyperspectral cameras, though.
>>
>>8277077

I don't know what exactly you need for a spectrometer buy I severly doubt arduino will be powerful enough

at very least, get an Atmel Xplained Mini because it has an in circuit debugger and no shitty bootloader made by faggot Italians who can't program for shit for kids that are even stupider

I bet you'll want to get a real SBC though because this sounds like a heavy duty application. One that isn't a complete toy. You can find them on digikey http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/embedded-computers/single-board-computers-sbcs/5047549
>>
>>8279111
Nice, thanks for the info. I actually just came across a page where a guy is doing pretty much the identical project I want to do, and he gets it done with an Arduino:

https://hackaday.io/project/12724-handheld-vnir-spectrometer

but if Arduinos aren't robust as you say, then I will look into other SBCs.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.