[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A human being can live without one half of its brain, correct?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

A human being can live without one half of its brain, correct?

Let's say you took your brain, took it out of your head, and cut it in half, into the two hemispheres. Then, we'll say that the hypothetically still-alive hemispheres are put into two vats which supply each hemisphere with everything necessary to survive comfortably.

My question is, after this, would you be conscious in two places simultaneously? Or would "you" only be conscious in one of the two hemispheres, while the second hemisphere has like a carbon copy of your consciousness that diverges the moment it is separated from the other hemisphere
>>
>>8271790
here's your """you"""
>>
>>8271793
But I honestly want to know
>>
pretty cringeworthy thing to type out but if you're looking for a real answer nobody fucking knows. There you go
>>
>>8271790
They are both you experiencing things that the other cannot know.

Pretty sure I've read articles where they have separated the hemispheres inside the brain and they still worked but different hands would answer for different hemispheres.
>>
This is a good thought experiment.

What this really shows is that the way we think of ourselves is not really accurate.

Our sense of "self" is illusory to begin with. We know this, because the various structures of the brain exert their particular influence on our actions (fear, sex etc.) yet we still think of them as our "own".

I believe that both hemispheres would think themselves to be "you". Which would only be possible because they would no longer have direct access to the sense of self of the other.
>>
>>8271790
Assuming you can then no, there will be two clones of you. Consider that the only reason you think you are you is because you remember being you. If another brain has the same memories as you they will think they are you two. Consciousness as a distinct, continuous process is an illusion.
>>
Humans cannot live with half of a brain. They can survive with a damage or severed corpus collosum in which case the reaction times between neural pulses is greatly slowed. There have been no accounts of fully functioning human beings with either one whole half of the left hemisphere or one whole half of the right hemisphere. If you drove a blade through the vertical divider of the left and right hemispheres, the brain would be traumatized immediately and fail to work. Matter from the brain would be lost in the process and harm any experimental work you had wanted to perform.
>>
>>8271848
I know the answer. You would experience both without memory of what the other experiences.
>>
>>8271856
forgot to add that consciousness and 'the essence of you' is shared between both your left and right hemispheres so there would be no consciousness to begin with. There wouldn't be a second copy of yourself just because you split your shit in half.
>>
>>8271856
>Humans cannot live with half of a brain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MKNsI5CWoU
>>
>>8271856
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemispherectomy

While rare, it does happen more than you would think. TIL
>>
>>8271793
nice projection
>>
>>8271790

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8

Relevant.
>>
My guess is that your concept of "you" would be fragmented. Aspects of "you" would exist in each hemisphere, but many would be eliminated entirely as they depend on the interplay of neurons in each hemisphere. As to the notion of what would happen to your consciousness, I believe both hemispheres would be separate and remember some of your memories. Both would be you in a similar manner to if your brain duplicated and suffered a serious brain injury, or something.
>>
>>8271830
>Wondering about the nature of the human brain and our perception of consciousness is cringeworthy
OP didn't even post /x/ garbage. Maybe you should get your autism treated.
>>
>>8271869
>TIL
>/reddit/
>>
>>8271856
So if the answer is - OP thought experiment is not compatible with life, what's the point to philosophize on what would happen?
>>
>>8271864
Impressive but not the whole half
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.