[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iapetus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Iapetus-Color-High-Res.jpg (81KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Iapetus-Color-High-Res.jpg
81KB, 1500x1500px
Is Saturn's 3rd largest moon artifical or not? If so, who built it and why?
>>
>>>/x/
>>
>>8267923

It fell out of your mom's ass
>>
>>8267923
Darth Vader build it everyone knows that
>>
>>8267923
>dat equatorial ridge

But seriously, why should it be artificial? whats up with that?
>>
>>8267971
No known geological processes to create dat dere ridge, hexagonal craters, extremely peculiar orbit pattern and shape, ect.
>>
>>8267978
Oh I see. So that ridge must be from the little gaps between the two halves of the injection mold.
>>
>>8267978
That ridge is from "centrifugal" forces and hexagonal craters were explained by some fancy standing wave patterns. There was probably a very violent collision/impact that fucked its orbit and left it in a pretty liquid condition for a long time.
>>
File: WTF Bridges.jpg (80KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
WTF Bridges.jpg
80KB, 300x300px
>>8267923
>Is Saturn's 3rd largest moon artifical
Of course not

>>8267926/this
>>
That's no space station... it's a moon.
>>
>>8267980
those ridges are from ultrasonic welding
>>
What hexagonal craters?
>>
>>8267989
Really? What are the odds of that actually happening? There's an entire segment of the ridge which has 3 parallel ridges running alongside it as well, what could account for that? I'm genuinely interested
>>
>>8268022
I dont know the odds of that and it is just a hypothesis. But it doesnt really matter how likely something is. Look at all the other gasgiant moons. They all have at least one unique feature, Triton for example just orbits retrograde. Or our moon who has pretty much the exact angular size as the sun. Weird coincidences are everywhere.

I am not quite sure what you mean with the parallel ridges.

Btw., Iapetus is not the only Saturn moon with such a ridge. There are at least two other ones who share this feature. Another hypothesis is, that they accreted ring material or even had their own little rings a long time ago.
>>
>>8268022
>What are the odds of that actually happening?

Pretty fucking good it seems.
>>
>>8268034
True there are odd occurrences anywhere else, however there just seem to be many more than usual surrounding Iapetus. Yes others have the equatorial ridge but the one at Iapetus is 20km high in some places, twice Everest and possibly the highest mountain range in the solar system. On top of that the orbit that makes no sense for a moon of its size, an orbit which just so happens to place Saturn and its rings in perfect view, on Iapetus Saturn would appear 4 times the size as the moon from earth. Could it have been some kind of alien resort towed into that orbit deliberately for the view?
>>
>>8268050
Well, with low gravity, you can have huge mountains like this. That is not surprising. Why does the orbit not make sense of a moon this size?
While the view would be amazing and I would probably position my space station in a similar orbit for other reasons too, I dont think there is anything weird enough about it, to assume ayys. But very interesting sci-fi concept
>>
>>8268066
I'm no science master so I can't explain why the orbit is strange, but I've seen quite a few different sources mention the orbit is extremely wide compared to the other 2 moons of similar sizes around Saturn. About those mountains, its not that common if they're the tallest in the solar system is it?
>>
>>8268050
If it doesn't make sense to you, then you are the problem, not the moon.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.