[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the evolutionary purpose of balding? Is it to prevent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: eljustomaymay.png (751KB, 814x812px) Image search: [Google]
eljustomaymay.png
751KB, 814x812px
What is the evolutionary purpose of balding? Is it to prevent the hunter-gatherer from overheating when they went to find prey? If that's the case, why does balding occur later in life, when the hunter-gatherer would probably have died from rape by a giraffe or something horrible like that? Is balding just an unlucky mutation?
>>
Sexual dimorphism doesn't need to have a practical use.
>>
Side effect of testosterone. Those who bald early in life eliminates themselves from the gene pool because they can't find mates, but those who bald latter still were able to pass down their inferior get-old-then-bald gene cuz they've already mated before they went bald.
>>
I'm not yet convinced balding is genetically deterministic or hinges strictly on DHT synthesis in follicle cells. Think it might be potentiated by environmental factors.

People have always balded, but they're doing so at a much earlier age than was historically common. I don't think a higher population and the post baby-boomer era fully covers this.
>>
Ain't no evolutionary purpose to something that happens at an age that most Proto-humans never lived to.
>>
Men used to look much more manlier and balding complemented that, but now they don't get enough testosterone so they look soft and ridiculous when bald
>>
>>8266041
Because they're unwittingly eating large amounts of soybean everyday.
>>
it's just a side effect of high testosterone, which does indeed have an evolutionary purpose.
>>
>>8266013
Not every trait has am advantage. Some bad things are a side effect of a beneficial trait.
>>
>>8266013
Anything that happens after 40-50 or so has no evolutionary purpose, because mating has already been accomplished and half the gene pool would be dead before then anyway. You might as well ask "what evolutionary purpose does cancer and scoliosis have?" Its just a side effect of other, useful genes. Thats why you get old and die.
>>
>>8266346
That's obviously false. if it didn't matter, why do women experience menopause while men stay fertile for quite a bit longer? Because old men can pump and dump young nubile sluts while an old mothers are a bad idea, that's why.
>>
>>8266013
>evolutionary purpose
Lrn2evolution fgt pls
>>
its to help reduce the heat on your head in the smummer

people in hot areas (eg hawaii) evolved to bald to keep cool and then mated with the rest of us, passing on their bald gene

now we all have it, i think the chinese are primarily responsible as well due to artificial selection

in the genghis khan era baldness was seen as attractive and many men with hair failed to procreate, thus passing on more of the bald gene
>>
Why the fuck do evolutionists treat the evolution theory with the same "it just works like magic" idealism that creationists treat god theories?

Balding is the result of shit rubbing in your head
>>
>>8267610
I think you mean those who look for adaptation in trade offs.
>>
>>8266013
Nothing has an evolutionary purpose.
>>
>>8266038
>Ain't no evolutionary purpose to something that happens at an age that most Proto-humans never lived to.
Humans are social animals.
Even long after child-bearing, your traits still affect your offspring.
That's why we have cancer built into our genes.
Evolution doesn't "want" your great-grandchildren to have to share their food with 4-5 generations of invalids sitting around waiting to die of organ failure.
Or in the case of balding, it also helps ensure the younger women don't mate with someone who has far less years left than them.
That explains both balding and our social convention of finding bald men less attractive.
Same reason dogs go white in the face with old age.

>>8266038
>at an age that most Proto-humans never lived to.
[citation needed]
>>
>>8266013
it's an evolutionary side-effect of over-selection of high testosterone traits.

it's literally evolution trying to stop us from becoming too brutish for our own good
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.