[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the fourth dimension physically exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: four_d.png (22KB, 724x335px) Image search: [Google]
four_d.png
22KB, 724x335px
Does the fourth dimension physically exist?
>>
>>8265003
So far current mathematical models postulates the theory. We do not know for sure if they do exist in the capacity we theorize, but until evidence is gathered to prove the contrary we can only base our knowledge on what little data we have now.

In other words we don't really know for sure, but data proves it more than it disproves it.

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/146478/have-we-proven-that-higher-dimensions-exist
>>
>>8265003
>>8265013

Wait do you mean four dimensional space instead of four dimensional spacetime?

Then the answer is basically no, we have no evidence of any such geometry existing that is observable to us. It has been studied mathematically and it exists purely in mathematical models.

I doubt we'll ever observe such a geometry if it existed considering our geometrical constraints.
>>
Yes, there are a lot more than 3 dimensions.
>>
>>8265003
>Does the fourth dimension physically exist?

DEFINE THE MOTHEFUCKER!

what the fuck are you even talking about with this fourth dimension shit?

Seriously?

Are these just sciency buzzwords that you think you understand?

Time is a Scalar, you nitwits, not a dimension.
>>
>>8265157
finally someone says it
>>
>>8265003
There is absolutely no evidence of a fourth spatial dimension.
>>
Spacetime is a 4 dimensional manifold with some extra structure on it.
>>
>>8265003
define physically
>>
File: thug.jpg (35KB, 720x505px) Image search: [Google]
thug.jpg
35KB, 720x505px
string theory says there might be 11

or maybe even 26

who knows
>>
>>8265157
Are you retarded? He's talking about a fourth spatial dimension. You can infer as much simply by looking at the OP image.
>>
>>8266748
Imagine you live on a piece of paper. You cannot percieve light hitting the top of the paper, you can only receive light in the 2D surface. Is it possible to know if the paper has depth?
>>
>>8265166
There's no evidence for the third dimension either.
>>
>>8265402
define define
>>
>>8267544
physically define
>>
the last time i took dmt i was visited by small creatures that told me about all the dimensions. i think people might call them machine elves. there are at least 7 dimensions, however they are not what you might imagine them to be, it is much more complex than that. they told me that you can only begin to comprehend the complexity of reality when on dmt or other mind opening drugs. they suggested to mix the dmt with the holy drug peyote next time if i wanted to learn more, which is exactly what i'm planning to do.
mainstream scientists will never understand.
>>
>>8267545
define physically
>>
>>8267597
Define without being physical
>>
>>8267606
let's get physical
>>
>>8267615
physically physical
>>
yes. everything ever thought of exists. next question.
>>
>>8265003
Time
>>
>>8265003
Yeah ask us rather than particle physicists.
Dipshit.
>>
>>8265013
you mean data suggests not proves.
>>
>>8267541
there is no evidence for imaginary things period. i generally hate math and science. they have to believe in fantasy and come up with formulas to have them make "rational" sense.
>>
>>8267621
theoretically physical.
>>
>>8267562
are you going to enlighten the world, anon?
>>
>>8265003
In a 4D space you can't distinguish between the 4 orthogonal directions. It's the same reason that right now you're in 3D space and can't distinguish between "the first" and "the second" dimensions. You can freely rotate between them.

No, no 4th dimension. Take a class on linear algebra.
>>
>>8265003
is time real?
>>
>>8267938
physically theoretical
>>
>>8267968
Time is literally just entropy increasing throughout the universe. So yeah, time is real.
>>
>>8265003
All dimensions exist.

Given that [math] \mathbb{R} ^ 3 [/math] has as many elements as [math] \mathbb{R} ^ 4 [/math] we could very easily construct a bijection from 3 dimensions to 4 dimensions and then track positions using 4 spacial coordinates.

It would actually be pretty easy after you construct the bijection.

This implies that maybe the universe could be perfectly 4 dimensional but there is a bijection from [math] \mathbb{R} ^ 4 [/math] to [math] \mathbb{R} ^ 3 [/math] applied to it so that we can only perceive it as 3 dimensionals.

The universe could also be 1 dimensional.
>>
>>8265003
Define:
>dimension
>physically exist
in the proper context
>>
>>8268047
>hurr define define
>define proper
>define context
>>
>>8268047
define proper context
>>
>>8268026
No, it is not just that. Entropy determines the direction of time that we can observe.
>>
>>8268026
There is more to time. I get where you are coming from, but that seems like a groos oversimplification
>>
>>8265003
I mean, in theory, it exists yes. Mathematics doesn't fall apart in the fourth dimension- vector things allow for us to go well above three dimensions and operate on dimensions that can't be visualized.
>>
i get it you guys watched interstellar
>>
>>8267934
LMFAOOOOOOO
do you also believe the earth is flat?
>>
>>8268125
The Earth is flat you autist, fuck off back to /x/ with your round earth theories.
>>
FLATLAND
>>
>>8265003
We can freely move only in 3 orthogonal dimensions. But nothing stops you to use 4D space to describe some physical model of something. Math has tools for it.

>>8266842
Yes it is. You can for example, observe object that pass thought that paper. Or you can measure gravitation caused by objects outside the paper (something we are trying to do at this moment)

>>8267615
(GONE PHYSICAL)
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.