[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cosets of group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: book_cover.gif (134KB, 571x707px) Image search: [Google]
book_cover.gif
134KB, 571x707px
Im having hard time understanding concept of coset. Let definition be:

If N<=G, G is group, then define left coset by
gN = {gn | n from N} and g from G.

Representative of coset gN is any element of that coset? Is that true? I understand that if N is kernel of some homomorphism, then gn = g1N for any g1 in G. This leads me to thinking of cosets as some kind of translation trough group. Does that mean that element g from G is the representative of coset and not gn element?
>>
when its said "the subset of all left coset of some subgroup" is it meant that i spam every g from G to subgroup N? What is it Im getting then and how come they make disjoint sets that togather complete group G?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160619-141837.png (281KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160619-141837.png
281KB, 1080x1920px
>>8263996
I also struggled with the intuition behind them when I first took this course. I'll share what other anons explained to me now, and then provide an explanation of how I think about them when I get home and have the time
>>
File: Screenshot_20160621-161740.png (300KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160621-161740.png
300KB, 1080x1920px
>>8264117
Kek and then there's this one
>>
>>8264117
This definition via equivalence classes also doesn't click to me. I was first introduced to fibers of homomorphisms, that made sense. I also don't have problem with generally understanding quotient group (I guess it's because of topology reference)
>>
You might want to try to reword your questions to make it a bit clearer what exactly it is you're asking.

>Representative of coset gN is any element of that coset? Is that true?
Any element g' in the left coset gN is a representative of that coset and can be used to generate the coset by leftmultiplying it with all elements of the subgroup N.

>I understand that if N is kernel of some homomorphism, then gn = g1N for any g1 in G.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. If g and n are elements, then gn is an element, but g_1N denotes a coset.
>>
>>8264129
The fibers are the cosets, and are elements of G/N
>>
>>8264148
Shouldn't you say that element of left coset, gN, is written in form of gn, n from N. You say element g' from coset and that is what i don't understand. Does it mean then that each left coset is uniqly determinated by element g from G? That has makes sense. And as you say, he generates coset gN.

About the second remark:
>If g and n are elements, then gn is an element, but g_1N denotes a coset.
Can you explain this? Did you mean g_1n is element of coset and g_1N denotes a coset?
>>
>>8264162
Of course, if N is kernel. I suppose that I can move away from kernel in quotient group via these normal groups? (I still didn't reach them, i want to understand this concept first)
>>
>>8264169
All that is required of N is that it is a normal subgroup. But yes that also means N is the kernel (since, if 1 is the identity in G, 1*N =N). I guess it's two sides of the sane coin, really
>>
I think the thing that confuses me most is theorem:
"Set of all left cosets of N in G forms a partition of G". How is it certian that g1N and g2N won't have non trivial intersection? I have seen proof but its one of those "double inclusion proofs"
>>
>>8264192
It's because we have defined an equivalence relation, and if you recall equivalence relations partition the set/group into disjoint subsets (the cosets) which are called equivalence classes.

Note it isn't necessary we have a normal subgroup; any subgroup of G will do. The nice thing about normal subgroups is that gN=Ng for all g in G
>>
>>8264201
I understand how fibers make disjoint set that cover group G. But when I leave realm of homomorphism and keep in mind only arbitary subgroup of G i don't understand how there's no interceptions. In Dummit's Abstract algebra, cosets are not introduced as equ.classes, so I guess that's whats wrong with me
>>
>>8264093
The best way to understand anything is to consider examples
The plane R^2 is a group for component-wise addition, the line L = {(x,0), x in R} is a subgroup. Its cosets are the translates (u,v) + L = {(x,v)|x in R} for v in R
>>
>>8264217
Well just write down what it means: Assume g1N and g2N have nonempty intersection. Then there are n1,n2 in N s.t g1n1 = g2n2. Then g1/g2 = n2/n1, hence g1 = g2 * (n2/n1), hence g1 is in g2N and conversely, g2 is in g1N, hence g1N = g2N.
>>
>>8264192
For simplicity, I'll assume the subgroup is normal, so [math]gN=Ng[/math]

Firstly, note that a representative g can be used to construct the coset gN by left-composing g with all elements of N. [math]gN = \{g\circ n\mid n\in N\}[/math]
It's also important to remember that a coset gN is a set of elements, not a subgroup.

If g ∈ N, then since N is a subgroup it must be closed under composition, and since all elements in gN are of the form g⋅n, they must must also be in N. Since e ∈ N (identity), g⋅e = g is in gN. Furthermore, two distinct elements n' and n'' of N composed with g cannot be equal, since g⋅n' = g⋅n'' would imply n'=n''. Thus the set gN covers the entire subgroup N.

If g is outside of N, then gN will be completely distinct from the elements in N. Assume to the contrary that there is an element n such that g⋅n ∈ N. Then [math]g⋅n⋅n^{-1}=g[/math] ∈ N -> contradiction.
Since g is composed with |N| distinct elements in N, gN must contain exactly |N| elements for the same reason as in the previous example. Thus now we have shown that any coset generated by an element outside the subgroup is disjoint from N and has the same size as N.

Let h ∈ G be another element not in N and not in gN. Then the coset hN must be disjoint not only from N, but also gN. Assume to the contrary that there is some n ∈ N such that h⋅n = g⋅n', where g⋅n' is an element in gN. But then [math]h = g⋅n'⋅n^{-1}[/math], which would imply that h had to be an element of gN to begin with by definition of gN (N closed under composition and inverses). Thus if h is not in gN, then the coset hN must be disjoint from gN.

This shows why the cosets are disjoint and of the same size as N, and thus partition G into subsets of size |N|.
>>
>>8264229
Thank you, I understood it perfectly now :). Proof is really nice but my intuition was wrong
>>
just for revision:

It is quite clear that if I look at g1 from gN, since N is a subgroup, g1n1 will belong in gN (for any n1 in N. Because g1 = gn, and if i multiplay it with some n2 i get g1n2 = g(nn2) which belongs to gN).

So we have all these g1,g2,g3... from gN set and they all have in common some (not same) element of N that gives us i.e. g1 = gn. I think that equivalence relation mainly comes from N being closed under its operation. It's easy to check that gN "sticks" some other g-s inside it.

Now, in order that all these gN (which we can now look as quotient G/~ where ~ is former eq. relation) become group, we must declare operation on them. We do it by: for u,v in G, uN*vN = (uv)N. Problem is that this operation is well defined if certian property stands, and that is: gng-1 belongs to N for all g and n. Is this property directly connected to some property of subgroup N or generally to group G?
>>
>>8266077
>Problem is that this operation is well defined if certian property stands, and that is: gng-1 belongs to N for all g and n. Is this property directly connected to some property of subgroup N or generally to group G?
What you're talking about is a normal subgroup, which is defined as a subgroup that is invariant under conjugation, i.e.
[math]gng^{-1}\in N[/math]
and as a consequence [math]gN=Ng[/math]
The subgroup N being normal is indeed a requirement for it being able to form the kernel of a homomorphism.
>>
>>8266092
I found it a bit exhausting to keep track of stabilizers, normalizers, centralizers. But if I remember correctly, normalizer will have something to do with this normal subgroup, right?
>>
File: dresden.jpg (361KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
dresden.jpg
361KB, 800x800px
>>8266092
>The subgroup N being normal is indeed a requirement for it being able to form the kernel of a homomorphism.
and importantly, kernels are always normal
>>
File: big don driveby 2.jpg (131KB, 630x559px) Image search: [Google]
big don driveby 2.jpg
131KB, 630x559px
>>8264117
very surprised to see you saved my short explanation from over a month ago, did you find this useful?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.