[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it reasonable to have engineering students take an easier

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: english.jpg (112KB, 687x500px) Image search: [Google]
english.jpg
112KB, 687x500px
Is it reasonable to have engineering students take an easier English course than other students?
>>
College level general ed english is pretty easy. The only points I ever lost in that class were due to the prof wanting us to write papers relating to our major and they couldn't handle all the technical language in the respective fields after telling us to write the paper directed to people in our field.

Also, when you see majors classes like that, they rigor is the same, but they tend to guide the course in a direction more suiting for the major. A lot of schools require hard science majors to take an english class framed around writing for journals, where the engineering english may focus on writing technical documents or maintenance plans or procedure, rather than using flowery language they focus on being clear and concise.
>>
I took an easy english class for engineering and we wrote resumes and pitched and designed a product
No essays whatsoever lel
>>
>>8263963
Idk if that is the same thing, but at my school everyone had to take Engl101 + one higher level writing class. They had a higher level class for stem majors about writing scientific papers.
>>
>>8263963
No, i dont think it is at all. The level of english you need for proper work in engineering will be beyond what you see in an intro, singular, or regular english class.

With that said, technical writing is very different from creative writing. So teaching more specifically to how you will apply it is reasonable.
>>
>>8264041
It's actually much less rigorous from what I've heard, which is why I wanted to take a more serious English course.

>>8264066
Everyone has to take two semesters of English and/or writing studies, except engineers who only need the one English class.
>>
>>8263963
I dont think there should be, its the same with things like "business calc" its literally a class for people who cant handle the real material

and I think it should either just be removed from the pre reqs or just take the normal course

otherwise its a disservice and waste of time
>>
>>8264066
I had to do the same thing.
I actually enjoyed the technical writing class and wish there was an additional one instead of the rhetoric course.
>>
>>8263963
English 101 classes are all about writing meaningless impressive-sounding sweet-nothings since most students are in the humanities or social sciences and need to write many pages of fashionable nonsense for all their future work.

Engineers and Scientists actually have something to say and need to learn how to convey technical knowledge in an understandable, full, but concise manor to various audiences (teammates/fellow experts, folks in other related disciplines/technical users, students/novices, and nontechnical users/mangers/media) and in various formats (manuals, documentation, specifications, papers, presentations, articles, proposals, resumes, thesis). The postmodernism writing style in Eng101 is the exact opposite of what they need to do.

This is why druggie students who repeat verbatim what the teacher said in their papers get A's in Eng101 while STEM majors who actually want to say meaningful stuff struggle to get C's.
>>
I don't see what's unreasonable about wanting to protect the other students from bad smells.
>>
No. Everyone, regardless of profession, needs the critical thinking skills and writing proficiency taught in English classes.
>>
My English teachers were fucking cunts who only gave As to the people who fucked them
>>
>>8263963

Are we talking about university students? I wasn't aware that Engineering students were required to take any English classes in a typical university.

If you've already finished high school and you've already chosen to focus on engineering in university, I don't think you should be required to take any English classes. However, by the time you graduate from high school in an English-speaking country, you should be able to write in English with perfect grammar. Unfortunately, people get to college without that basic skill.

English classes in grade school should focus more on technical writing skills, and less on analyzing fiction and poetry. I'm sure there's some small value in studying the symbolism in "The Catcher in the Rye" or whatever, but most kids just read end up reading SparkNotes, so it's not like they're really learning anything.
>>
>>8263963
It's kind of understandable. Engineers are notorious for their lack of communication skills. Some universities have watered down stats courses for psych majors for similar reasons.
>>
>>8263963
not easier but english class should be technical writing not that bullshit creative writing with the faggy ass poems n shit.

inb4 triggered grammar nazi who can't control their autism on a laotian cartoon discussion forum
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.