[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ban statistics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: statistical_distribution.png.png (162KB, 755x626px) Image search: [Google]
statistical_distribution.png.png
162KB, 755x626px
Predicting outcomes based on correlations in historical data is for faggots.

Please use a deterministic method.
>>
>>8252215
you can't
>>
based on previous data from this thread, there is

100% chance this post ends in > 5
>>
>>8252215
Ban p-values and assuming everything is gaussian. Don't ban statistics.
>>
>>8252278
There's little wrong with p-values and gaussians, the problem lies in univariate analysis of multifactorial phenomena.
When you don't know anything about the distribution, Gaussian is your best bet.
>>
>>8252351
Based on previous data from this thread,

there is 80% chance this post ends in > 5
>>
>>8252353
Based on the size of your dataset, the confidence interval of your prediction is as big as your mother's asshole after I drilled her last night.
>>
>>8252227
nice but according to statistics this post will be dubs

checkem
>>
>>8252354
The average post will end in 5
>>
>>8252355
REKT
>>
File: 1456026371938.jpg (32KB, 597x351px) Image search: [Google]
1456026371938.jpg
32KB, 597x351px
>>8252355
Lad.
>>
>>8252355
wtf I hate math now
>>
>>8252355
booooiiiiii
>>
File: 1448501163725.jpg (268KB, 816x816px) Image search: [Google]
1448501163725.jpg
268KB, 816x816px
>>8252355
>>
>>8252215
I love you.
>>
File: Dubs.jpg (34KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dubs.jpg
34KB, 400x400px
>>8252355
>>
>>8252674
I love you too
>>
Staistics fall victim to the idea that correlation implies causation far too often. It literally is the worst "science."
>>
>>8252355
Lol, kek got rekt by science.
Atheist 1
Christians 0
>>
>>8252215
Feynman has a famous anecdote about Pacific Islanders during WWII. The U.S. set up bases on their islands, and the islanders noticed that whenever the soldiers dressed up a certain way and waved some flares around, a plane would drop a box of supplies on the island. After the Americans left, the islanders would dress up in their uniforms and try to mimic their actions in the hopes of getting a box of supplies to fall from the sky.

What is the difference between this and a headline in the newspaper that says "Study shows eating broccoli causes colon cancer?".

Here (http://pss.sagepub.com/content/22/11/1359.full.pdf+html) is an article where the authors show that listening to songs such as "When I'm 64" causes the participants' age to increase by approximately one year compared to the control group with p<.05.
Of course, this is done to illustrate how easy it is to find ludicrous "statistically significant" results using accepted methodologies and reporting conventions.

Also, p-values are a less meaningful than people seem to realize. In the Frequentist Statistics chapter of Murphy's Machine Learning book, he shows how you can compute two very different p-values for the exact same empirical result (a particular sequence of coin tosses) by making different assumptions about how the data were collected. However, I don't find the alternative-'Just use Bayes' Rule, bro!'- to be completely convincing either, since this requires you to select a prior, i.e., a distribution on the set of hypotheses. Either way, before you collect any data, you have to assume that *something* follows a particular distribution that you choose based on your "background knowledge". If you're a frequentist, it's the data itself, and if you're a Bayesian, it's the set of possible hypotheses, but both require an ultimately subjective extra-empirical input to get off the ground.
>>
File: 00-bacon-cinnamon-roll.jpg (72KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
00-bacon-cinnamon-roll.jpg
72KB, 640x640px
Based on previous data from this thread,

there is 40% chance this post ends in >= 5
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.