[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to protect algorithms/profit from them?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: city100-swapped_cities-9.png (24KB, 539x525px) Image search: [Google]
city100-swapped_cities-9.png
24KB, 539x525px
I'm a programmer and while I was working on another project, I stumbled onto an algorithm that solves the Travelling Salesman Problem (TSP) exactly in all instances.

You can read more about the problem here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_salesman_problem

My algorithm is also more efficient than any current solution.

Seeing as such an algorithm would have many applications in various fields, I was wondering what I could do to protect the algorithm and make a profit from it.

I've already looked at world wide patents and licensing, but there seems to be some areas of grey when it comes to things like computer/mathematical algorithms.

Has anyone ever patented an algorithm or knows the ins and outs of trying to patent one and licencing it out to companies?
>>
>>8250275
you "stumbled" into an algorithm more efficient than ANY current solution?
hard to believe, what's your background?
>>
How does one check that an algorithm solves the TSP?
>>
>>8250289
you prove it
>>
>>8250294
How?
>>
>>8250275
I think you're trolling, and in case you're not, i think you've probably either only checked a couple cases only that happened to work out nicely, or you don't know how to check if your algorithm actually provides the best solution.

Like one time i thought i was on my way to proving the Collatz conjecture by using certain field extensions. Turns out i was instinctively only picking examples that worked out for me, and when i let someone else pick a starting number my theory failed miserably.
>>
Cant you print a chip solving this algorithm accepting primenumbers above 2^64 as whole?

For example having multiple buses that themselves later does counting itselves, in describing number by one bus, counting it to have i.e. PCI-E card with this chip solving in large numerals?
>>
>>8250297
like you prove any other algorithm works. have you read any of those? it's exactly the same
>>
>>8250303
Or another form of interactor, for example if tegraracks are aviable as part of rack.
>>
File: 1411829774722.jpg (75KB, 840x375px) Image search: [Google]
1411829774722.jpg
75KB, 840x375px
>>8250280

Uh, it's complicated.

Started out in the Energy sector as a programmer with a background in business and communications. Then became a High School Teacher. Then I was an author for a few years (speculative fiction). Then I joined the Navy as an Officer. After that I did some Cybersecurity/Cyberterrorism work. Finally I started my own business specializing in neurobiology and psychometrics.

I was researching working memory and neural pathways, when I came upon TSP and linked the problem to the human brain the solution just clicked into place.

Currently building a large scale simulation to make sure large TSP problems are solved by my algorithm, though I'm running out of processing power.

Just making some initial inquiries before I approach a IP lawyer and shell out the cash for patenting.
>>
File: 1411821482972.jpg (54KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1411821482972.jpg
54KB, 500x375px
>>8250289

I run my algorithm in parallel with a brute force solution. Brute force will check every solution and come upon the best solution eventually. Then I compare them.

This is why >>8250298 makes a good point. And hence why I'm building larger simulations to make sure it works in all instances.

Though I don't have the processors to check huge TSP problems, smaller problems all seem to turn out correctly using my algorithm.

With my limited knowledge of mathematics it also seems to be logically sound, though I can't prove it.
>>
>>8250312
>>8250325
oh so you don't actually know if it's good. it probably works but it's much, much slower than you think. there are VERY optimized TSP implementations out there, it's very bold to say yours is "the best out of any"
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.