[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY science exhibits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1469239926401.jpg (80KB, 550x825px) Image search: [Google]
1469239926401.jpg
80KB, 550x825px
So /sci/, I've been put in charge of making new science displays to get high school kids interested in science for this program my college does.

I'm an undergrad biology & Chemistry major and I know all of the theoretical stuff and lab stuff but I have no idea how to make interesting and practical displays. I'm not making a fucking potato battery.

Do you have any ideas, /sci/? I have access to whatever necessary materials I need, as long as I can purchase them at a regular store. I can order stuff from the Carolina supply company but I'd rather not because of all the paperwork.

I can do anything that doesn't use live animals, chemicals with toxic vapor, most radiation, and diseases. I can use Americum 241 as far as nuclear stuff goes, since it's pretty weak and easily shielded. I've already made some video game app about the cell cycle and a fungus log but I want practical things that have a real purpose.
>>
Make a cloud chamber
>>
>>8249379
http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/40-cool-science-experiments-web
Quick google search for cool school science experiments solved it. Took less typing than it did for you to make this thread honestly.
>>
>>8249388

I'm aware of that resource and others. I just wanted /sci/'s input as well.
>>
>>8249392
This is your project and you should be responsible for your own work. If you really need input you should ask around your school about what they're interested in learning. Preferences change from community to community and a global approach probably isn't as effective
>>
>>8249396

Well, these experiments and stuff are used for multiple schools, not just one. We'll be travelling around the state to several high schools. Yes, this is my project and I'm doing research. Which involves checking various websites, books, etc. And I'd consider /sci/ another resource in my research.
>>
>>8249404
I'd still consider checking with actual people in your state then, what works in say Vermont would be very different than what works in Texas for example.
>>
>>8249410

What
>>
>>8249413
If you did a demonstration about drilling oil in a liberal state they'd be unimpressed, if you did a demonstration about climate change in a conservative state they'd be unimpressed. Learn about your audience and then pander the shit out of them.
>>
>>8249418

Ah, I see. I didn't really consider that. I didn't think high school kids would be that smart.
>>
>>8249379
Cloud chamber
Build your own AM radio with a big ass capacitor made up of 2 plates in a vice. By turning the vice you change the capacitance and the station you pick up. (Or use a big inductor/solenoid with a removable core)
Prism, single slit, double slit, diffraction gradient and a weak lazor for QM fun
Polarizing filters
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.