[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was the greatest chemist of the 20th century?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: chemistry_logo.png (242KB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
chemistry_logo.png
242KB, 600x340px
I always see questions asking who the greatest mathematician or physicist of the 20th century is

what about the greatest chemist of the 20th century, in your opinion?
>>
Despite his whole mess with Vitamin C

I have to go with Linus Pauling
>>
Shulgin and Hoffman did some work, but they did copy, one guy dyacetyled morphine, was my hero. Until that we just boiled opium poppy with vinegar acid. He did so much breaktrought I want my cock to be sucked or fucked or something,.
>>
Woodward is the God of Organic Chemistry

but i have to go with Pauling as well
>>
>>8248369
Woodward was amazing, the dude breathed Organic chemistry, i once heard a story he was so skilled at writing chemical structures that he would do it without even thinking about it, like a natural talent
>>
Lewis
>>
>>8248384
>he would do it without even thinking about it, like a natural talent

Also known as "mastery of a skill", a foreign concept in an increasingly de-skilled world. Notice how "technical" is a bad word? It used to be praised, and before that, expected of people in the position of a master. No longer. Why be skilled when you can simply automate everything?
>>
Pauling was the standard against
whom other chemists were judged.
>>
Both Haber and Bosch without a doubt. The world would have a couple of billion people less if it wasn't for them.
>>
>>8248351
>I always see questions asking who the greatest mathematician or physicist of the 20th century is
>what about the greatest chemist of the 20th century, in your opinion?
That's because the greatest chemists of the 20th century were physicists
>>
>>8248351
pauling

he did like, everything.
>>
le Vitamin C man
>>
didn't Haber create chemical warfare?
>>
>>8248384
Woodward was amazing but writing chemical structures without thinking about it isn't. Any organic chemist can write chemical structures without thinking about it.
>>
>>8248369
the way woodward figured out the structure of B12 using no modern spectroscopic techniques simply blows my mind

he'd basically fragment the molecule, do chemical reactions on the fragments and if they behaved as expected he had a good idea that that part of the molecule was right
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.