[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Social Scientist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: meme trump.jpg (114KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
meme trump.jpg
114KB, 600x600px
Social Scientist
>>
Sorry to see that hillary beat him to it
>>
>>8241583
Critical theory is the bane of my fucking existence.

Number one way to ruin a whole field of study. At the very least I wish they wouldn't try to pass it off as scientific or an explanation of any social phenomenon
>>
>>8241583
10/10
>>
File: Trump on Orlando.png (52KB, 622x343px) Image search: [Google]
Trump on Orlando.png
52KB, 622x343px
That son of a gun.
>>
>>8241649
What actually IS critical theory? Does it just mean philosophical analysis of culture?
>>
Daily reminder that social sciences do a better job at controlling for externalities and limiting to as few variables as possible than astronomers.
>>
>>8242168
its a euphemistic buzzword for "bitching about things without offering solutions".
>>
>>8242168
>critical theory?

Here is a hint:
It is not taught at any STEM course
It IS taught in most humanities courses

If you can't figure it out then the short answer is cancer.
>>
>>8242200
So what makes it different from sociology or anthropology?
>>
>>8242168
Critical theory is the idea that looking at evidence on the way to curb negative things from social sciences and applying those to society you will see a reduction in those bad things.

It sounds like people in this thread either have a huge hatred for humanities or never actually looked into it. Its pretty innocuous.
>>
>>8242205
That Critical Theory is a field in sociology but if you look around you see that many general humanities courses like english, art, women studies, etc. are forced to take Critical Theory.

I would call it 'angry sociology'. In other words, the sociology you do when you are fucking angry at something. Like when you are pissed at someone and you find ways to rationalize why you would feel happy if that person were to die.
>>
>>8242211
This is a misconception. Critical Theory in literature and art is a completely different theory than Critical Theory in sociology. They have some overlapping though
>>
>>8242218
Shut the fuck up you white racist faggot, fucking die cis scum.

How is that Critical Theory?
>>
>>8242221
Its not critical theory
>>
>>8241583
>be me
>study a social science (psychology)
>have no fucking idea what Critical Theory is
>look it up on Wikipedia
>Critical theory is a school of thought that stresses the reflective assessments and critique of society and culture by applying knowledge from the social sciences and the humanities.

Wtf is that? I don't get.

Also what's wrong with social constructivism? It literally means that we construct our reality based on social interactions, which may no t be the only way we construct it but it's still true.
>>
>>8242200

Um, many things that are studied in humanity courses are not thaught at STEM courses, what's your point?
>>
>>8242284
Critical theory is essentially an effort to tear down and constantly question cultural norms for the sake of it. Part of "Cultural Marxism".
>>
File: image.jpg (182KB, 960x847px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182KB, 960x847px
>>
>>8242316
>Critical theory is essentially an effort to tear down and constantly question cultural norms for the sake of it. Part of "Cultural Marxism".

Like modern social justice? Sounds like crap, pretty sure that isn't a social science and it's just a meme.

It's, at best, a way to apply what we learn from social sciences.
>>
>>8242335
social science IS a meme
>>
>>8242210
>Critical theory is the idea that looking at evidence on the way to curb negative things from social sciences and applying those to society you will see a reduction in those bad things.
I'm pretty sure that did not make sense.
>>
File: Abstract cancer.jpg (461KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
Abstract cancer.jpg
461KB, 900x675px
>>8242338

no u
>>
Bump for more memes
>>
>>8242340
it took a reread but it makes sense.
do policy that evidence says is effective in reducing bad stuff
>>
>>8242168

>Does it just mean philosophical analysis of culture?

Yes.
>>
>>8242221
>E equals M C squared times the derivative of the hypotenuse with respect to time over pi R theta.
>How is that Science?
That's what you sound like.
>>
>>8242316
Cultural norms should always be questioned, there shouldn't have to be a "reason" for it. Otherwise you end up doing ridiculous nonsensical things just because it's a tradition.
>>
>>8243180
That's maths not science retard
>>
>>8243186
The key is questioning all social norms equally, whether they're of the ingroup or the outgroup. That's where most critical theory proponents fall flat.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.