[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

THC Brethalyzer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: thc chemical structure.png (51KB, 2000x1087px) Image search: [Google]
thc chemical structure.png
51KB, 2000x1087px
Alright /sci/ is it possible to create a THC breathalyzer? If so, how?

>inb4 DUDE WEED
>>
>>8229831

Does anybody know?
>>
Almost certainly not. For one, unlike alcohol, THC isn't volatile.
>>
I was actually wondering about this myself.
In order to test for recent exposure, such as what we would care about for dwi and the like it would have to be near real time which rules out other bodily functions such as urine tests
But thc can be injested as well as smoked, and you can't necessarily rely on the presence of other compounds if the thc has been purified
Breath alcohol also relies on a simple test, whereas detecting low levels of thc or related compounds may require more expensive equipment and police training, say a mass spec or similar

All in all I think it may be most efficient to swab the hands of suspects and send it to a lab for testing
>>
>>8230021

I suppose but I think if it is possible to make a thc breathalyzer then there will be some big bucks to be made.
>>
>>8229831

Why would you want to when a saliva swab does the job?

That's what the police use here in Australia.
>>
>>8230121

Because if you're able to create a machine thats allows the user know the exact amount of thc ingested and how recently, then there would be a lot of money to be made from it.
>>
>>8230200

I don't understand how?

What applications outside of policing would you use it for?
>>
>>8230300
Thats exactly what you'd use it for
>>
>>8230385

So why not use the swabs? They give an indication of use within a couple of hours for thc, plus they work with other drugs as well.
>>
>>8229831
Blood sample or swabs are much better. You smoke THC generally so that implies it is easily absorbed by the lungs into the blood stream. This would make it highly unlikely that they would breath out THC which has a boiling point of 157 C. Might as well make a breathalyzer for freaking acid.
>>
>>8230406
>what is vapor pressure

I think it's possible OP. It would have to be a very sensitive instrument. And it may even be better if it were to check for metabolites of cannibinoids.
>>
>>8229831
I am not sure if it detects THC, however there are swab tests for Cannabis that take 10mins to process on average. The law in my state is a positive reading for over 25 nano grams.

Makes me worried, I don't smoke however I'm sure I pass people smoking it at parties. I would like to self test if the kit is cheap
>>
>>8230406
Aren't there laws against giving bodily fluids or other samples? Pretty sure if a cop pulls you over and suspects your high and asks you to piss in a cup or swab your mouth you can tell him to fuck off.
>>
>>8230643
>I think it's possible OP.
It is.
>It would have to be a very sensitive instrument.
Far too sensitive to be viable. A lab based method maybe. Definitely not a roadside thing that cops can use.
>And it may even be better if it were to check for metabolites of cannibinoids.
The major metabolite is the acyl variant (THC-COOH) which is less volatile than THC, and less likely to be exhaled.

>>8234234
>Aren't there laws against giving bodily fluids or other samples?
Yes.
>Pretty sure if a cop pulls you over and suspects your high and asks you to piss in a cup or swab your mouth you can tell him to fuck off.
Sort of. A cop can't take a sample on the side of the road, but if you're being evasive or indignant about the whole deal they would probably detain you and then you'd be forced to turn over a sample.

It might be possible to do, but it would require a very high precision device and would be prohibitively expensive compared to the alternative method of swabbing someones gums.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.