[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does brain/forehead size matters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: qq.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
qq.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
What does /sci/ thinks about it?Yes I googled it already and while most scientists says that it matter how its rewired(if even true) rather than size does it mean that having above average size means that you have higher chance for your brain to be better wire.
>>
>>8220215
There is at least a 0.3 correlation. Another anon linked another study which indicated over a 0.8 correlation. Look at pictures of members from the Mega and Triple Nine society. They all have way larger heads than normal. Regarding forehead size this may be confused due to hair lines so is not the best determinate for cranial volume.
>>
>>8220228
Continued: Have a high intelligence is present both from having a good mental mapping and a good cranial capacity. Since there is not too much deviance in brain mapping, aside from certain extremes of verbal intelligence (ie.: vocabulary), cranial capacity is a good measure of giving a rough estimate of one's intelligence. This is of course excluding outliers resulting from mental diseases or brain cell death via results from, say, drugs.
>>
>>8220228
>>8220228
>>8220235
Really interesting.Is there something you can do to increase your brainsize if youre still in puberty/25(that was the age where brain is fully developed right)?
>>
>>8220250
For one: don't diet. More specifically, do not eat under your caloric maintenance. Also stay away from any and all drugs which cross the blood-brain barrier (which is most). Do not wear baseball caps as this does the exact opposite of the Incas who tried to shape their skulls to increase volume (they failed bar 2-3 skulls). Wearing all-encompassing hats will constrict your skull and thus stunt brain growth.

Regarding puberty this is the largest brain growth. Past puberty your brain grows still but just not as much.

With growing the brain past avoiding aspects which would detriment oneself; lift weights. Weight lifting has shown to increase brain growth.
>>
>>8220271
>don't diet
What about fasting and intermittent fasting?A lot of people say that its really amazing and it even creates new cells(not sure if even possible)
>Do not wear baseball caps
What if I wear headphones all day?Does that stops growth/shrinks my brainsize?I always thought about this and always make sure the headband is as high as possible.Also is there any chance that they might stop the blood for my brain?
>>
>>8220279
>What if I wear headphones all day?Does that stops growth/shrinks my brainsize?

There are no studies specifically for headphones so this is on a whim. Theoretically either this will stunt overall cranial growth or would just push the brain growth the back and/or front of your skull. Going off of probability you may assume the former.

>Also is there any chance that they might stop the blood for my brain

Have not studied specifically blood flow. Going by the Pascal's Principle more blood would pass through due to more pressure on blood vessels. Overall, though; no idea.
>>
it is a really rough proxy for neurons, the military seems to make use of the measurement for uniforms and they have found a weak association with IQ.
>>
>>8220287
>Theoretically either this will stunt overall cranial growth or would just push the brain growth the back and/or front of your skull
The headband doesn't touch my head and I always make sure that its really far away from it .The only part of the headphones that does touch my head is around the ear(the ear pads but even then they sit extremely gently)so I think I'm fine I guess?
Also you said nothing about fasting and intermittent fasting which I would reall like to hear about from you.
>>
>>8220298
The deal with fasting is the linking claim of an increase in BDNF. This gene expression as a protein both helps preserve current brain cells and to grow new ones. This is based on this article:

>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16011467

However, attempting to increase BDNF may be something you can focus on as an adult. (aged 23+) No idea on whether or not fasting would affect the natural, biological maturation of one's brain. More than likely fasting would be bad for this natural maturation.
>>
>>8220271
>Also stay away from any and all drugs which cross the blood-brain barrier (which is most).
From a pharmacological perspective, there is little difference between a food and a drug.

Stop posting.
>>
>>8220490
>From a pharmacological perspective, there is little difference between a food and a drug.

Clearly cardboard is a food since there is fiber in the folds. Taking semantics this literally you must have severe autism.
>>
>>8220501
I see what you're trying to say, but it doesn't even make sense in relation to what I said.

Anyway. I'm saying it's not a useful distinction. You eat countless drugs on a daily basis. Phenylethylamine in a number of fruit, and chocolate. Salsolinol in bananas. Histamine, and compounds that trigger histamine release from mast cells, in many foods, most commonly nightshades. Etc.

Your "NO DRUGS!" heuristic is ill based, and possibly harmful.
>>
>>8220521
ADHD drugs:
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769923/
Anti-depressants:
>http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-antidepressants-brain-structure-20140918-story.html
Ecstasy:
>https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/mdma-ecstasy-abuse/what-does-mdma-do-to-brain
LSD:
>http://luxury.rehabs.com/psychedelics-abuse/long-term-effects-lsd/
Cocaine:
>http://www.livescience.com/19867-cocaine-ages-brain-shrink.html

No, saying otherwise is harmful. Even Marijuana has shown to affect short term memory within the brain. This is ignoring the re-wiring due to psychedelic effects of the plant.
>>
>>8220532
Further: Using the word 'drugs' implies the above substances. Alcohol and caffeine are technically drugs yet are not implied through this manner of terminology. Give a better term to use and will start to use that instead.
>>
>>8220532
Anon, I know, and I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying there is a greater perspective to be had on what delineates drug from not. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "drugs and alcohol", which is nonsense, given that ethanol is a strongly psychoactive compound just like any other. And yet people guzzle down their coffee or tea in the morning, eat a chocolate bar, eat dried banana slices, whatever, and think little of it.

Either way, I am in the wrong here. Though flawed and the product of a world destructively grooming laymen for laymen perspectives, people readily understand what you meant by "drugs". No one is operating on my perspective. And I have imagined someone inadvertently avoiding flavanols and potent antioxidants just because they're not endogenous and cross the BBB.
>>
File: 1368049207549.jpg (225KB, 500x649px) Image search: [Google]
1368049207549.jpg
225KB, 500x649px
>>8220532
The first study did indicate reduced brain volume from addicts of at least two years but it did not look at ADHD medication but amphetamines like meth which are different.

The second one on SSRIs found that connection of the brain during inactivity decreased overall but certain parts of the brain increased their connections. The most important point being that the functional connectivity of the thalamus increased and this is the part of the brain that is found to atrophy in those with major depressive disorder. SSRIs are found reverse this atrophy potentially using this action as many studies have shown people with major depressive disorder do not have lower serotonin levels compared to the average population.

The ecstacy studies took me a while to go through and as I found in ever single one, the results are highly questionable as the users were also users of other hard drugs including excessive alcohol and coke. One study http://www.maps.org/images/pdf/2001_verkes_1.pdf did a decent job of minimizing the effects but it still relied on subject's honesty and allowed usage to be relatively high such as amphetamine or opiate use once a week. Overall the human trials are inconclusive but based on the animal trials it is highly possible and damage seems to occur more so from frequency of use and not overall use.

The link on LSD was irrelevant in terms of the subject at hand. It only talked about how LSD trips can sometimes trigger psychosis in those who are already at risk of it and the risk of developing HPPD. Not much research has been done on LSD and brain anatomy but the few that have only showed increased communication between parts of the brain that are not normally connected at least in the short term. There seems to be more evidence for LSD increasing brain connectivity than decreasing it.

Cocaine has without a doubt had many studies showing the amount of atrophy from chronic use of the drug.
>>
>>8220796
I'm not the person you were arguing with, but you seem to know what you're talking about. What do you make of this paper:
http://wordpress.tobiasdonner.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/vanDenBrinkJN2016.pdf
Basically they show that an ADHD drug reduces connectivity in the brain. Is that 'bad', for the lack of a better word?
>>
>>8221934
Not him but it makes sense after all they dull all your thoughts and impulsivity.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.