[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how could one create a permanently floating building or town?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: 342332.jpg (97KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
342332.jpg
97KB, 736x552px
how could one create a permanently floating building or town?

buckminster fuller proposed a huge lightweight geodesic sphere, lift by hot air. But it would have to be enormous

budget within 10 billion (aka, 2/3 the cost of 3 gorges dam)
>>
Permanency doesn't meaningfully exist, especially on a macro scale.
>>
>>8216216
Why? So it could float around and drop shit all over everything underneath?
>>
>>8216225
This. There might come a point when you want the thing to just fuck off.
>>
>>8216225

why not

>>8216223
ok, make it float 20 years at least.
stability is one of the 3 principles of architecture. legacy is one of the ideals sought by nazi architecture.

might as well call it permanency. it is a truthful pursuit for a building
>>
File: 3TiqgaX.png (805KB, 542x700px)
3TiqgaX.png
805KB, 542x700px
>>8216233

floating cities in venus wont have that choice
>>
>>8216236
>might as well call it permanency. it is a truthful pursuit for a building
Okay, I agree. I grew up in the era of decaying strip malls and parking lot fields, and was thoroughly disgusted.

Modern architecture in the US is garbage. If it is practically built to fall apart, it ought not be built at all.
>>
maybe if it used helium, but itd be difficult to keep contained. if only helium could be produced on demand, it could be continually replenished

maybe another lifting gas

>>8216277
btw I was mistaken, the principle is durability
>>
>>8216310
If hydrogen fusion were to become viable, you could power it that way and keep a supply of helium. I mean we're already on wako floating city territory, might as well bring fusion into play. Also don't make threads like this.
>>
>>8216216
Something something magnetism.
>>
Why would you even want a civil structure to float in mid-air?

It's not practical, it's not fun, it's not safe.
>>
>>8216216
IIRC the lift of ionocraft scales faster than their weight, so hypothetically you could make really huge ones, but so far it's very hard to keep them stable without tethers.

>>8216225
Refugee housing I think. Might come in handy one of these days.
>>
>>8216216
I think floating is a bad idea. You could crash into shit. Flying, though... mm.

How about propellers on four corners of a rectangular building (much like a drone), and inside this building we have a nuclear reactor (IIRC it requires less space as opposed to other energy sources) to power the propellers?
>>
>>8216941
Quadrotors or quadcopters are designed for maneuverability and have problems as they scale up
>>
>>8216872
>it's not fun
it is, but sure, its not any of the other two
>>
>>8216950
Is that so? By scale up, do you mean they have problems lifting off/flying straight up?

How about just one then? On the top, like a helicopter. That should make it fly vertically better, since maneuverability isn't as much of a concern.
>>
>>8216955
> By scale up, do you mean they have problems lifting off/flying straight up?
Yes and yes.
Quadcopters are inherently unstable. A lot of cool control theory keeps them upright.
>>
First step is going to be cheap energy. How can you justify pouring that much energy into keeping hundreds of tons floating (relatively free of turbulence) when it's far cheaper, safer and more efficient to just build it on the ground and build skyward?

The logistics of running costs are going to be the first hurdle to overcome. Say, though, that fusion or whatever is mastered and cost of energy is no longer an issue beyond implementation, you're going to need to be able to justify area and usage.

What would it be used for? You can't reasonably use it for government or social services, because poor people need those institutions to be accessible and convenient. You could probably use it as a stupidly prestigious hotel/restaurant/tourist/holiday/entertainment establishment.

I can see a lot of rich cunts paying a lot of money to be able to race podracers from a big motherfucker like this, or for skydiving, bungee jumping, that sort of thing. Incredible views and such, and it would be insanely expensive to try and live on one, but you would very rarely need to worry about terrorist attacks or anything because the security would be phenomenal.
>>
>>8216216
>2/3 the cost of 3 gorges dam
So the cost of one 2 gorges dam?
>>
why not use hydrogen as a lifting device?
>but mah hindenburg
Hingenburg was never designed to use hydrogen. The retards filled it with hydrogen for the first time the same day it crashed. User error if you ask me. Dirigibles are also most dangerous on the ground, if it's always in the air then danger is minimized.

With today's technology we could probably make a reasonably safe hydrogen dirigible designed to remain airborn indefinitely. Hydrogen is easy to source mid flight. Fly into a cloud, collect drips of water from the hull and perform electrolysis. But hydrogen has a bigger stigma than nuclear energy. It'll never happen.
>>
We should go deeper into the ground instead tbqh. Build huge cities underground for the eventual nuclear war that is going to happen one day.
>>
>>8219778
Such a shame, as flying into clouds to refuel sounds like a really cool future.
>>
>>8216216
>lift by hot air
na
helium or hydrogen? why bother?
Why not just make a lightweight, geodesic dome and create a vacuum inside? It would be able to lift more than helium, hydrogen or hot air of any kind.
>>
>>8219778
see
>>8220825
>>
>>8216216
Yes. Make your town in space.
>>
>>8220825
>geodesic dome and create a vacuum inside

No way. If you want maximum lift you need to fill it with negative mass. The same stuff that powers the alcubierre drive would make cities float super easy.
>>
>>8222184
>negative mass
Not such thing
>>
Buckminster Fuller was a fucking idiot
>>
>>8216216
magnets
>>
>>8216216
I think some scientists named the Luteces are working on that
>>
>>8216216
Write a book. All fictional universes exist but they are inaccessible.

Earlier today, I had a Mary Sue solve all of the Millenium Problems and ascend into mathematical Godhood.
>>
File: moriarty.jpg (113KB, 707x538px) Image search: [Google]
moriarty.jpg
113KB, 707x538px
>>8222458
>All fictional universes exist but they are inaccessible.
Could the same be said about dreams? Makes you wonder what happens to that universe when you wake up.

Also, what happens if your characters become self aware and attain enlightenment and transcend reality? Do they become a tulpa?
>>
If you want something to float you need to push it sideways strong enough so it reaches orbital speed at a given height. Sadly the atmosphere will prevent it from staying at this height by constantly reducing its velocity due to drag.
>>
>>8216216
Guys, could a huge magnet do it? Like you put a huge magnet on the ground, and the other at the bottom of the town, with the same polarity.
>>
>>8216965
I'm not even sure the solar system has asteroids worth mining.
>>
>>8224493
I'm not even sure there even is a solar system
>>
>>8224334
STOP

I GO TO /X/ TO LAUGH NOT TO HAVE IT SPREAD
>>
>>8216216
>> But it would have to be enormous
there is no other way around this. If you want to lift a city you are going to need something very big.

>>8216888
nice trips.
>>ionocraft
Will be more massive than balloons or propellers.

>>8222212
You are a fucking idiot, check out Cloud nines:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Nine_(tensegrity_sphere)
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.