[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: ss (2016-07-19 at 08.01.27).png (20KB, 582x213px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-07-19 at 08.01.27).png
20KB, 582x213px
Where the fuck does the 1/2 come from in equation 11?

I used ax(bxc)=b(axc)-cx(axb) for the thingy with velocity and curl of velocity, so it shouldn't spit out any 1/2 factors
>>
dont know so heres a bump
also when do u use equivalent instead of equals
>>
>>8213844
I treat it more like a stylistic difference, or when distinguishing between stating an equation and stating something being the same as something else (equivalent, if you like)

also bump
>>
>>8213832
you have to take the gradient of that expression which is kinda its derivative if you think about it (the first term from the left in eq 9, there you have a vectorial derivative which is equivalent with taking the gradient of the square of v )
so when you differentiate v^2 you would get 2v but that's a no-no as you only need v so that 1/2 comes in and saves the day
>>
>>8213894
ok i see what you mean, i stupidly assumed a wrong identity and carried on. thanks for the help

also note that i misquoted the ax(bxc) identity as im tired, enough of this for today.
>>
>>8213894
no idea what this guys talking about you just want to use
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities#Vector_dot_product
>>
>>8213963
yeah i was about to also post that (OP here), for anyone interested. didnt realise it was a special case if A=A...
>>
>>8213957
it's okay nigga, I've never bothered learning it, mechanics prof busted my balls about it but I ain't no nerd lol xxxDD
>>
integrating v
>>
>>8213963
that's cause you stupid, try to understand your math
okay so I'll explain it (I sit here with a desk full of physics books but instead of learning something or solving some problems I play MOBAs and listen hip hop and shitpost on sci):
eq 11 is eq 9 combined with eq 10 where he moved the terms to the right side and he divided by rho. in eq 9 we have dv/dt which is the derivative of a vector and as you can guess it produces a vector (the acceleration). how can we rewrite that using the GRADIENT operator??! shit nigga that's tough, you can only take the gradient of a SCALAR quantity and we got a vector there, what we gonna do??!! whooa, what if we like square that vector? #yolo shieee, that gives as what we need, a scalar, and it has the bonus of having physical meaning (it's THE MAGNITUDE of the vector, i.e. how fast that liquid is moving), we some sort of mathy Indiana Jones. b-b-ut then we would get a vector twice as big, nigga that wrong!!!! lol no just add a 1/2 all good now, see? xD
>>
File: ss (2015-12-07 at 02.07.00).png (10KB, 276x395px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-12-07 at 02.07.00).png
10KB, 276x395px
>>8214001
are we shitposting now?
>>
>>8214030
shitposting and teaching 1st year physics to anons, yes
>>
File: ss (2016-05-30 at 10.42.48).jpg (39KB, 607x423px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-05-30 at 10.42.48).jpg
39KB, 607x423px
>>8214034
well in my defense i forgot a lot of babby physics :(
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.