[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When is it too late to get into mathematics and the sciences?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 0014-014-2-2-4.jpg (11KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
0014-014-2-2-4.jpg
11KB, 720x540px
When is it too late to get into mathematics and the sciences? I'm out of highschool (18, don't worry), and starting college in August. My strengths have always been History and English, and I'm a very strong writer. However, I'm very interested in the sciences, particularly biology, robotics, and space. I was never good at math in high school and I did decently in biology, chemistry, and physics. Is it too late for me to begin delving into the world of math & science? If not, where do I start?
>>
>>8212485
You should have been starting to get at least a basic understanding before high school
>>
>>8212485
>>8212502

Don't listen to this prick, do what makes you happy OP. If you enjoy the sciences go for it, you're still young. I learned those who love what they do easily surpass those who are only in it for the financial well being.
>>
>>8212485
It's never too late to learn anything OP. Try out Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang, I like his writing style.

Also refer to the /sci/ wikia.
>>
It's not too late, and you will find your history and english and writing will improve the more science you study.

For starting out, I'd suggest crash course (YT channel). It doesn't go into a lot of detail, but will give you the broad brush strokes, and is very accessible.

Find a subject you are interested in (bio/chem/phys/stats/whatever) and look into it some more; maybe try downloading a freshman college textbook on the subject.
>>
>>8212521
>>8212526

Thanks for these responses, and I'll definitely check out that book by Lang.

From there, do you recommend that I just head into Barnes & Noble and buy some books in subjects I'm interested in?
>>
>>8212533
Just use libgen. You can get books like the Serge Lang one there for free.
>>
Tfw one year ago you didnt know how to do long division or simple algebra and you just correctly derived the unit circle on your third try on your fourth day of trig in cc

Its a good fucking feeling for a mid twenties brainlet feel free to shit on me but if you are persistent in math you will have a breakthrough no matter how old you are how shit your life is how dumb you are or how regressed you are

If you dk how to count then learn to count and youre on your way
>>
>>8212485

It's never too late dude. I was 23 years old when I took my first precalculus/trig class. I went in with the mindset of wanting to learn and determined to do all the homework and I got an A.

Now I'm 24 and taking Calculus 2 in the summer (done in two weeks, Series was hard!) and finally got accepted to a really good Uni. I'll be studying mathematics for my major. I have a good GPA and I honestly LOVE it.

Almost majored in Chem, but I like Math more. I really cant wait to start writing proofs.

You're never too old. Just go in with a determined, disciplined mindset (do ALL the homework, even the stuff thats not required) and you will find yourself doing well. Convince yourself that what you're learning is interesting, and after a while it will be interesting.

A lot of people think General Chemistry and Calculus is really dry and boring, but once you start doing some cool stuff with concepts related to infinity in math, and stuff related to Thermodynamics in Chem, it picks up and becomes a super cool subject.

Have faith, OP.

As to where you start: Where are you weak? Algebra is 100% neccessary in math and science, and if you did poorly in algebra in high school, go sign up for a class at a local CC and take it again. Use Rate My Professor to find the good math professors.

Otherwise, if your algebra is up to snuff, start taking precalculus and eventually move on to calculus, linear algebra, general chem, general biology

Eventually O-Chem and Physics and by then, you will have a strong enough math and science background to really know what you like and what your strengths are. Good luck. Study every day!
>>
How good are the "for dummies" books at actually teaching their subjects? For example, would it be worth it to pick up a "Calculus for Dummies" book and use that as a resource?

I know I can probably find a pdf online but I really prefer having a physical copy in front of me.
>>
>>8212485
I'm 22, finished high-school in private, because I was expelled in the eleventh grade, taking my SAT in late august. Been learning in a month more than I've learned in 7 years (in total) of fucking "high-school". Do it faggot.
>>
>>8214068
this.
>>
>>8214068

How're you doing it?
>>
>>8212485
Read a calculus textbook, OP. I enjoyed math in high school but after dropping out of a chemistry course I did nothing for a couple years. Started reading Spivak's Calculus at 22 and now entering my third year of Math.
>>
>>8214243
This. Schaums and Stewart books are soul crushing
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.