[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: basicmathematicsbysergelang.jpg (12KB, 330x499px) Image search: [Google]
basicmathematicsbysergelang.jpg
12KB, 330x499px
Is this book the best book for beginner higher level mathematics?
>>
>>8205282
It's the best book for an adult wanting to (re?)learn school math
>>
File: S60715-135206.jpg (252KB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
S60715-135206.jpg
252KB, 800x1280px
not OP, but i saw the thread where this book was recommended.

What subject covers pic related? And what path from high school maths will have me understand this notation and statments?
>>
>>8205370
Bump for interest.
>>
>>8205370
If you don't already know high school math, read Basic Mathematics. If you just want to learn the notation, it's just basic set theory stuff, you can find it in the open chapter of a lot of introductory level books for undergraduates. If you want to start learning proof based math, pick up Calculus by Spivak.

By the way, what book is that, their proof for symmetry is garbage.
>>
>>8205445
It was an answer i foind googling for proof of transitive property, from some forum. Spivaks calc is on my list. That defines all that notation then and those proofs?
>>
so basic mathematics isnt basic at all but has set theory shit?
>>
>>8205738
No, it's all the basic math you should know before calculus.
>>
how does it compare to pic related?
>>
>>8205282
It's the best book if you want to learn everything up to Calculus.
>>
>>8205654
Spivak doesn't do set notation, but he doesn't assume you have it either. He starts with talking about naturals and reals, which you should have some exposure to.
Pugh does open with sets nice and visually

I think Courant was the one I used to get sets
>>
>>8205753

Fun fact: I haven't read that book, but the background image is of problems ~50-55 of the Rhind papyrus, an ancient Egyptian mathematical document. This section of the document is often shown to give a picture of "ancient math", because it has a few diagrams and "looks cool", but in fact the author makes many numerical and serious mathematical mistakes in this part of the text.
>>
>>8205800
We all have to start somewhere.
>>
>>8205370
Get familiar with some very basic logic and quite a bit of set theory.

For instance, that 2nd axiom just states that in (a, b), a and b are related to each other. ie: if a is related to b, then b is related to a.
>>
>>8205800
I mean it is one of the oldest documents containing math which we have. Further, standards were pretty different, there were no proofs, only demonstrations on how to solve basic mathematical problems.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.