[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Simple Math Problems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1440550874672.jpg (82KB, 1600x723px) Image search: [Google]
1440550874672.jpg
82KB, 1600x723px
Let's have a thread about simple math problems.

I am pretty bad at math and have barely more than high school education. But recently I sat at the toilet and wondered, what is 1+4+9+...+x^2? Then I took a piece of paper and solved it, googled and discovered that my formula is correct. It was quite fun doing it. Some of you may laugh at the simplicity, but as I said, I am pretty bad at math.

Anyway, got more simple math problems for me? It's kinda fun.
>>
If you want simple math problems like that, especially ones at your level of education, consider conics.
>>
Maybe we can get some more simple math problems if we just extend your problem!

like, if "t" is some number, what is
[math] 1^t + 2^t + 3^t + ... + x^t [/math]
?
Or we may take t to be a negative number. For example, let's flip the sign in your example. What number is
[math] 1^{-2} + 2^{-2} + 3^{-2} + ... + x^{-2} [/math]
In this case, we can even let x be arbitrary high, we can even sum all numbers!
What is
[math] 1^{-2} + 2^{-2} + 3^{-2} + ... [/math]

Or what is
[math] 1^{-s} + 2^{-s} + 3^{-s} + ... [/math]

for any number? Or even any complex number. What kind of function is that? Where are it's zero values located?
>>
>>8205240
The Roymang Seto Fangtion.
>>
>>8205187
Spivak has an awesome exercise that will show you how to find a formula for a sum of any series where each term is of the form x^n. It's in one of the earlier chapters, but I don't remember which.
>>
>>8205269
The Roymang Seto Fangtion.
>>
>>8205240
>What kind of function is that? Where are it's zero values located?
kek
well memed
>>
>>8205240
>What kind of function is that? Where are it's zero values located?

I don't know but I know where its -1/12 values are located.
>>
You have a rope that you tie snugly around the circumference of Earth. You then add just enough rope to raise the thing 1 inch off the ground all around the Earth. How much rope did you add?
>>
>>8205315
Lets just say that the circumference of the earth is c.

Lets also drop inches for units because fuck you applied fags.

Then the length of the rope is c units.

The diameter of the earth would be c/pi and you want to add 1 inch to both sides of this so you get
c/pi + 2

Then the circumference would be
pi(c/pi +2) = c + 2pi and that would be the length of your new rope in units.
>>
>>8205344
>How much rope did you add?
>>
>>8205357
2pi units of rope my negro.
>>
[math]3x + 2y = 8[/math]
>>
back from the gym

>>8205227
thanks, will google what that is later

>>8205240
yeah I already considered extending the problem in various ways but I would prefer different problems with different approaches to train my mathematical creativity. also, kinda rude that you try to meme me like that

>>8205315
let me take the physics approach: first I approximate earth to be a perfect uniform sphere. then I put that shit in some unneccessary equations that will result in ~0.1596 meters
>>
>>8205257
>>8205273
I shouldnt be laughing so hard at this
>>
>>8205273
>Showing results for Raymond Seto Fanfiction
>No results found for Roymang Seto Fangtion
>>
>>8205486
Rayman Zelta Fuckton
>>
Google "mathschallenge sum of squares" for a good explanation of OP's problem
>>
>>8205240
Holy shit, I kekked so much
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.