[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2016 and we still can't turn scrap metal into gold.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 1468137249235.gif (1MB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
1468137249235.gif
1MB, 780x780px
2016 and we still can't turn scrap metal into gold.
>>
Probably because you would invest a ton of money to do that and it would decrease the value of gold because you devaluated it by increasing the supply.
>>
But we can turn gold into scrap metal, which is almost as good.
>>
>>8201607
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_transmutation
> Nuclear experiments have successfully transmuted lead into gold, but the expense far exceeds any gain.

fuck off retard
>>
>>8201670
nope idiot, this is the article cited from your "source".

>While it may never be commonplace to transmute lead into gold, it is practical to obtain gold from lead ores. The minerals galena (lead sulfide, PbS), cerussite (lead carbonate, PbCO3), and anglesite (lead sulfate, PbSO4) often contain zinc, gold, silver, and other metals. Once the ore has been pulverized, chemical techniques are sufficient to separate the gold from the lead. The result is almost alchemy...almost.

fuck off retard
>>
>>8201670
also removing particles ≠ transmuting
>>
>>8201791
wat
>>
>>8201607
Frankly I'd rather we have the tech to turn trash into bulk diamond.
>>
>>8201894
We do but it'd be tedious as fuck to strip organic material down to pure carbon rather than oxidation to CO2.
>>
>>8201809
this was a actual quote from wiki, kinda sad someone put such a shmeary article in there.

but nevertheless all the serious sources only claimed they removed particles from heavier elements to get "real" (non radioactive) gold. (like bismuth)

all the other transmutations where radioactive, so not "real" gold.

transmuting lead by "adding" particles has not been done yet, prove me wrong?
>>
nukes bro
>>
>>8201607
>>
>>8202451
wouldn't it weigh less since you took mass from it?
>>
>>8202454
OH SHIT
>>
>>8202454
yeah but by less than a gram
>>
>>8202451
pleb here

what makes this a troll scientist comic? is there a process to take away the protons?
>>
>>8201906
What the hell is your definition? If they transmuted gold than they transmuted gold. Radioactive's got nothing to do with it. If it has 79 protons it's gold. Even if it irradiates your damned ass and decays in 5 minutes it's still gold.
>>
>>8202451
I miss these
>>
>>8202835
same
>>
>>8202471
I think technically 5 grams, lead's molecular mass is 207.
>>
>>8201607
We could turn scrap metal into gold, but it would be really fucking expensive and only a retard with lost of money would do it.

>get scrap metal
>have to separate out and purify each individual element making it up
>now take each individual element and separate out each individual isotope
>we're already probably well past the GDP of a small country
>Come up with a synthetic plan for each individual isotope
>massive energy costs for even a gram of metal
>Eventually make some gold
>A lot of the gold turns out to be radioactive, and decays
>fuck, we have to take the decay products and throw more shit at them to turn them into gold
>>
>>8202652

3.057×10^21 atoms are in one gram of gold.

Times that by 1000 and you get how many atoms in one kg of gold. Vsauce did a video about smashing particles together to make gold. It takes a long time to make one kilogram.
>>
>>8202652
>what makes this a troll scientist comic? is there a process to take away the protons?

The electricity necessary to power the process costs more than the benefit of doing the process.

(In general, for all Troll Science images: "If it worked today with current technology, somebody would already be doing it.")
>>
>>8202665
>What the hell is your definition? If they transmuted gold than they transmuted gold. Radioactive's got nothing to do with it. If it has 79 protons it's gold. Even if it irradiates your damned ass and decays in 5 minutes it's still gold.

If you can't sell it for money or use it in jewelry or industry, it's not gold for any useful definitions of the word "gold."
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.