[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1468276623868.jpg (853KB, 2880x1900px) Image search: [Google]
1468276623868.jpg
853KB, 2880x1900px
Will we be a space fairing species by the time I die? Realistically, will I ever get to space? (I'm 19 y/o) Also, how will we do it? What breakthroughs do we have/need to make it possible?
>>
Technically we've been space fairing far before you were even wrong.
>>
>>8199951
Ok, colonization is what I mean.
>>
File: george_washington_life_mask.jpg (15KB, 236x342px) Image search: [Google]
george_washington_life_mask.jpg
15KB, 236x342px
>>8199949
There are no technological breakthroughs that we need. The breakthrough we need is for people to understand how big of a deal it is and hand over their fucking money. It has always been about the money. We could have gone over thirty years ago if the money was there.

Most people are pieces of shit and don't care about anything. Giving a fuck about future generations is like blasphemy.

That's the really shitty thing. We just need the ball rolling, one fucking group of people to go there, and that'd be it. We'd be going every fucking two years like it was no big deal.

We've had the window to go to Mars for like forty years, and that window will end. The fact that it's taking this long is a testament to how moronic most people are. NASA lost funding because no other country was going to Mars, "so why waste our fucking money?" - politicians with the control

I'll go to Mars. Fuck these people.
>>
>>8199977
what would be the point of a colony though? mining? oil-drilling maybe (assuming there is even oil on mars)? how would you transfer that back to earth without burning as much oil as you drilled?
you'd have to build a selfsustaining, definitly secure, colony that has the ability to.. mine resources (because doing research on mars-dirt probably won't be enough) and that has the ability to send the resources back, otherwise i don't see it make sense. and i don't think we're there, yet. What would effectifly be the point?

..i assume that's why we're not doing it.
>>
>>8200766
Why does it have to be for profit? Can't we just explore and learn? Also, considering climate change, it may not be a bad idea to try and colonize other planets.
>>
>>8200802
You have to pay for it. Money is just a metric that loosely pegs to the energy and resource consumption which underlies any physical process that requires work.

So you can continue to run it like NASA, which is both inefficient and constantly under threat of the whims of the public and politicians alike (muh wasted tax dollars), or you can privatize it and let it create its own economic incentives for a viable, exapansive future.
>>
>>8199949
the technologies needed will take decades/centuries to develop and perfect. its not happening soon, and certainly not in your lifetime.
>>
>>8199977
>how dARE THOSE PEOPLE NOT GIVE ME MONEY TO GO PURSUE MY PERSONAL DESIRES

So what exactly is the goal you are supposedly after. Assuring the continued existence of our species?

If you have a bucket that is not allowed to be more than 70% full, the solution isn't to start pouring into a second bucket, it's to close the fucking faucet.

Yes, the only problem present is the lack of public consensus, but not regarding the matter you are presenting.
>>
>>8200837
That's a pretty shit analogy. A better one would be, if you're on a boat that's sinking, the solution would be to get on a boat that isn't sinking.
>>
>>8200840
And you're asking the water to buy you a second boat.
>>
>>8200833
>yfw rocketry is centuries old
>yfw space tech has been developing for more than half a century

pull your head out of your ass, kid. its already happening, and yes that makes it in your lifetime.

also
>wow tech of all sorts sure is advancing at a nearly exponential rate these days

i grew up in the 70s tho, and remember when people didnt have color tvs, microwave ovens in their homes, you had to go to the arcade to play video games unless you really actually liked tank and pong, and nobody could even dream of having a phone in their pocket, let alone a computer on their desk.
>>
>>8200851
Kek
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.