[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nootropics & Nutrition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

>Nootropics —also called smart drugs or cognitive enhancers—are drugs, supplements, or other substances that improve cognitive function, particularly executive functions, memory, creativity, or motivation, in healthy individuals.

Thoughts on regularly supplementing with Nootropics, or just """BioHacking""" in general to modify one's life? I personally take multiple different supplements primarily to ward off cognitive decline.
>>
>>8189069
No
>>
>>8189069
Supplements will do nothing unless you are suffering from malnutrition.

Drugs CAN improve cognition, and this is well-studied, they are known as stimulants. Amphetamines, Ritalin/Methylphenidates, etc are all examples of this. Also, Modafinil is supposedly a cognitive enhancer though i think it just restores you to full wakefulness after being awake for some time, rather than an actual boost to abilities.

All of these drugs have a temporary effect, and if used chronically, may slightly decrease cognition while the drug is absent from your system, food for thought.
>>
>>8189069
You will fuck up your brain chemistry when you stop taking that shit. The brain is notorious for adjusting it's neurotransmitters' baseline levels, so when you stop taking this stuff, you'll probably be depressed and cognitively impaired until your brain reaches equilibrium again (takes months).
>>
>The brain is notorious for adjusting it's neurotransmitters' baseline levels
I just started laughing as I read this.
>notorious
Fucking thing, amiright.
>>
File: cognitive-aging11[1].png (36KB, 425x312px) Image search: [Google]
cognitive-aging11[1].png
36KB, 425x312px
>>8189090
>>8189093
>>8189097

I have reason to believe that cognitive decline is not a 'natural' part of healthy aging. It can instead be generally attributed to nutrition and genetics. Unfavorable genetics requires supplementation to compensate lest you welcome deteoriation. General first world diet also regularly requires supplementation to fill the inevitable nutritional holes.

Pic related, you will be considered medically retarded after you've become ancient. This is why nursing homes are necessary.
>>
>>8189097

This entire statement is highly ignorant.
>>
>>8189120
>I have reason to believe
Well?
>>
>>8189122

There's quite a lot to get into so I'll use an example to describe my findings. One supplement I've discovered is called ALCAR or Acetyl-L-Carnitine.

>Carnitine is an essential compound to the performance of the body. It is not a vitamin nor mineral, as the classification for vitamin or mineral denotes that it must be consumed through the diet in order to avoid a disease state. As carnitine is created in the body to a limited degree and no disease state from the diet exists, it is not classified as a vitamin.

I suspect that 'non-essential' nutrients like L-Cartinine are only considered non-essential due the narrative lagging behind the literature.

>http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=648735&resultclick=1
>http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=192525&resultclick=1

Articles such as the above have lead me to the believe that general health is mediated by nutrition, physical activity, and genetics. Consider that we all have a potential that is determined by the aforementioned three. It's likely that none of us ever reach that potential since none of us live perfect lives, but nutritional nootropics simply seek to maximize as much of that potential as possible.
>>
>>8189132
You contradict yourself
>Carnitine is an essential
>I suspect that 'non-essential' nutrients like L-Carnitine

The rest seems very reasonable. A rational argument? On /sci/?
>>
>>8189140

It's only considered non-essential in medicine and nutrition in that it's not actively recommended (when it should). This is once again the narrative catching up with the science. Cognitive decline is a very real problem, it just hasn't been publicly viewed in that regard yet.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.