[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good sites for studying mathematics for SAT/ACT prep?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1462952074281.gif (646KB, 512x481px) Image search: [Google]
1462952074281.gif
646KB, 512x481px
Viscerally hated math for almost all my life, and I want that to change
>>
>>8180187
I used to tutor math act/sat prep.
I can give you a complete list of what will be on the test. Then you should read about the ideas and try problems from different places.

I'm at work so I can't do it right now.
>>
Generally, the people who hate math are those that don't truly understand the concepts, or they understand a concept enough to do well on a test that evaluates understanding of that one concept.
I recommend buying or renting another textbook that can show different approaches, some texts explain the reasoning and can help you have a more conceptual understanding rather than- use this formula you've memorized and plug n chug, then forget the formulas and principles after the test
>>
>>8180187
Id like to learn math properly too, Ive always been fascinated by ppl who do it good, but since elementary school I was frustrated when teachers insisted on solving problems certain way, and sometimes I could get solution my way.

Also, too many teachers rushed trough the course, there was always too big of a gap between first few problems and mid tier problems.

Many textbook authors think you somehow just know that you need to apply some shit in mid tier problems, while it was not done in first few.

Those jumps in difficulty killed my desire to know more than for a passing grade.

I loved physics and chemistry though.
>>
CrackAct.com and CrackSat.com have hundreds of practice tests for both subjects. Don't waste money on a tutor. They basically teach you the same as the books. Buy one of the Princeton Review books and look on the internet maybe at the Sparknotes ACT & SAT review and read through both of those. Then take as many practice tests as possible. When you make a mistake, look at the question and try to figure out what went wrong. Understand what you did wrong and soon enough you'll have a perfect score in all of them. The timing is the most important part, be sure to bring a watch and for the ACT take <9 minutes on each English reading, <7 on each reading, and <5-6 minutes for each Science. Best of luck.
>>
>>8180552
Just realized I forgot to mention, the ACT Math is truthfully one of the easiest tests on there. You have 60 minutes for 60 questions. Thats one minute a question much better than the other tests like the English test which takes 45 minutes for 75 questions. To study for the Math, really those books are great, do each of the question reviews till you understand the concepts at hand. The majority are extremely simple such as supplemental and congruent angles and basic algebra. You should try to finish the first ~40 questions within 25 minutes. Then do the last 20 questions which tend to be the hardest (but are really not bad at all just at the end they can take a while longer to solve). You can really do it, it;s not bad at all. Consider using a program like one on here: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/basic/math/suites/ especially one with a midpoint solver, a quad solver, equations for volume/area, and a triangle solver. Keep in mind that often it is easier to simply graph equations rather than solve through algebra, this is provavly one of my best pieces of advice especially since its such a time sensitive test. And like I said before, PRACTICE it is the only way you will be successful on the tests. If you get a question wrong, know why you did and try to go through them as quick as possible without losing accuracy so you can get a perfect score. Best of luck. Now help me with focusing on studying math like I'm supposed to be right now rather than being on the internet please...
>>
ACT is one of the points in your life where you start to realize our education system is mostly bullshit up until uni. It's a test that you stress over, everyone talks about, and then tries to use to measure how smart they are compared to you. The second you get accepted to college, it doesn't matter what you got anymore. It's way easier to get accepted than you think unless you are trying to get into some crazy top school for engineering or something.

You will learn to love math the moment you realize how desirable that skill is to have; for yourself and for employment. Take college courses with the best teachers you can. I hated math in high school and thought I was dumb. I took it at uni and was top of my class. High school is fucking lame.
>>
>>8180190

Hey buddy still waiting on that list
>>
>>8180758
> tfw I'm trying to get into some crazy top school for engineering
>>
>>8181247

>tfw there isn't anything crazy about undergrad
>>
>>8180187
>Viscerally hated math for almost all my life, and I want that to change
>SAT/ACT prep
gg
>>
>>8181247
if math doesn't come naturally, gl surviving in top engineering program
honestly, if interested in engineering, there are plenty of good state schools that aren't super difficult to get into and that are good and recognized. like i said, engineering will be tough regardless is not comfortable with math
>>
>>8181247
if you're hell-bent on getting into top program, you probably need to reevaluate your thought process on college
>>
>>8181295
>>8181298
>>8181302
this was all me btw. /sci/ isn't taking you down-just one person
>>
>>8181298
>>8181302

When I took the practice ACT (or SAT, I don't remember) I got every single geometry problem right and 91st percentile overall in math

My issue is that I fucked up reading and the science part, which is really only about reading graphs and recalling specific facts about grammar.

This pisses me off to no end. However, I know what I must do to improve. I'm not OP. I want practice reading material.
>>
>>8181314
>ACT
idk. took SAT. liked it so much more
>>
>>8181314
Bro just read this post:
>>8180552
>>8180569
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.