[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some honest opinions. I think AI/robotics is the only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1466348143193.jpg (354KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1466348143193.jpg
354KB, 960x1280px
I need some honest opinions.

I think AI/robotics is the only thing that really interests me. But in practice AI is about specific applications right? Like self driving cars, spam filters, image recognizers... and robotics about factory robots. It's also a very interdisciplinary field since AI can be applied to pretty much any field and a robot, the more generalized it is, requires many different parts.

So is there even much place for research towards humanoid AI/robotics?

I mean I know that the whole field is very popular with some of the smartest minds and biggest companies working in it. So I assume that the most interesting jobs are highly competetive. So I wonder does it even make sense for me as a "brainlet" to bother trying to get seriously involved with it? Should I do something else to earn money and just learn about AI/robotics in my free time?
>>
>>8180050
what profit is there in humanoid robotics?

see, that's why serious money goes elsewhere; i.e. somewhere where money is to be made.

that being said, what exactly do you find interesting about humanoid robotics?
>>
>>8180616
> believes you should choose a job because of profit
lmao spook'd
>>
>Misspelled competitive
Fucking brainlet
>>
I mean, academia is pretty much the route to go. I'm like you OP
>>
OP I dont think studying humanoid AI in free time is going to amount to anything. I would assume the field to be absurdly complicated and complex that unless you are 100% committed you ain't gonna do shit
>>
Im interested in it too.

Maybe try to find a field close to AI, programming or biology? Get job at that.

If u find ppl with shared interests u could form a think tank, get together to practice evolutionary algorithms, go trough textbooks together etc, share knowledge and unique perspectives.

With passion anything can be accomplished.
>>
>>8180643
How does academia work? You come up with something to research and you have to convince people to finance it for some set amount of time?
>>
>>8180616
>create new race of robo-men
>robo-men are smarter than humans
>they get involved in science and advance it due to their increased intelligence
>due to increased science they can create even smarter robo-men
>singularity happens
>???
>profit
>>
>>8180050
I'm doing a BSc in AI. Your country might have one too, but it's not too common. You should check it out.
Also, there's still a lot of room in academia for 'intelligent' robotics, along with loads of other specifications within the field of AI. Academia is competitive in its own way, but less so than the business world, I'd say.
>>
>>8182441
There are no AI undergraduate courses here, only robotics graduate courses. I guess Computer Science is the closest subject to study?
>>
File: 500px-Black_body.svg.png (33KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
500px-Black_body.svg.png
33KB, 500x400px
>>8182339
People should be taught in middle school that singularities are artifacts of overly-simple models and are incapable of existing in the real world.
>>
>>8182687
Study mathematics (calculus, linear algebra, statistics) and programming. There's plenty of ML material online. If you teach yourself enough to do some interesting projects that you then put on your resume, companies won't care if you took an AI specific course at college.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.