[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need project for High Schoolers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I'm a chemist and my cousin, younger than me by 12 years, has asked me for a semestral project they could do. For the love of me, I've been doing post-grad work for the past six years that I can't recommend stuff she could do anymore. I don't want to disappoint so I'm asking for ideas for projects.

They will be in a group of 4 iirc. The project can run for about 2-3 months. They have access to a chemical laboratory.

To give an idea of the level of research they can do, they extracted from leaves last year and tested that for anti-bacterial properties.
>>
>>8172966
This is a short project idea but what about the separation of acetic acid from pyro oil/biocrude? (via extraction and/or distillaiton)

They could use some kind of oil (vegetable or other kitchen oil) to simulate the pyro oil and just add vinegar to it.

For example, they can add water and separate aq phase from the organic phase. Then they measure the amount of acetic acid extracted by the pH. (they could obtain the pH by titration or a calibrated pH probe)

They could check the effects of T, P, acetic acid concentration, or something on the fraction of separation.
>>
>>8172966
Extraction of volatile compounds (like limonene) from fruits
Extraction and identification of lipids, using TLC
Synthesis of aspirin
Coating metal with gold/silver/copper through electrolysis
Extraction of DNA/RNA
Reaction kinetics
>>
Don't.
Labs are dangerous and high schoolers are braindead idiots.
Not to mention you won't learn abything useful in the lab if you don't know anyhing.
>>
>>8172966
Me neither just stick with making ice cream emphasis on supercooling fluid and freezing point depression
>>
I'm a geology student so everything I can think of is geology related, so sorry. But geology is just applied chemistry and physics.

How about water samples from local rivers? It'll probably scare you shitless what they find.

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-drinking-water/table-regulated-drinking-water-contaminants

Can get you started. My hydrology class last year asked locals to test private wells (which are illegal in our area so discretion was needed). My Earth Materials class we examined minerals found in streambeds next to an abandoned mine. Scary shit man. Some classmates looked at mine tailings dumped in the local river over the last 200 years.

If you talk to any geology department they'll have a dozen ongoing projects and environmental shit is all the rage with kids that age.
>>
>>8173236

I've had some experience with microscopes and trying to find some microbes in river samples is really time consuming,to give you an idea,my sister is an aquatic resource management grad and she took about 8 hours to find anything in the water for their first lab session and 2 hours for her last lab session in the university.

Me,a highschool physics teacher,took 2 days to find anything alive in a dirty water sample
>>
>>8172966
Aah, I remember my high school chemistry project. Some chick poured some sort of lighter fluid she home made into a synthetic sugar and created what was basically a lethal form of tear gas. We had to evacuate the school, a lot of students who were in the room were rushed to the hospital and two girls never came back. It was a nice day. Best friends girlfriend was a victim to the cocktail, but she survived with only a lung injury. Fox News came over and just said that there was a funny smell. Made it sound like things were blown out of proportion. OP, you've got to make her do something like that.
>>
I pissed in a baby food jar and grew pond froths for a couple months.

I feel bad for the people that had to sit by it in class
>>
OP here.

>>8173236
Sounds interesting. She wanted something relevant and I think high-schoolers can appreciate that.

>>8173176
Just basic chemical lab equipment. You know, glassware. No centrifuges/spectro equipment.
>>
>>8172966

baking is chemistry
>>
>>8173333
And a much more relevant skill for a young girl to learn.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.