[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self studying/learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: self-study.jpg (18KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
self-study.jpg
18KB, 500x334px
Can we have a thread devoted to self-learning things? What are you learning, and how are you going about it? Any tips?

Obviously it's really personal, but this is what works for me:
>most modules have core textbooks that most uni courses will use. Borrow a copy (not a .pdf), read through a chapter, do it again, and then go through the slides from a relevant uni course, then a different one, then do all the exercises you can
>make sure you fully, intuitively understand the course content
>use something like Tiddlywiki to summarise everything in your own words, and to look back/remind yourself about things
>don't force yourself to self-learn stuff, it should be for fun
>lots of regular walking breaks
>>
>Read 20-30 pages in the morning
>Do some exercises
>Occasionally start a discussion about the subject with friends
>A few more exercises
>Revise the book pages in the evening
>>
One nice thing to do is to read 'related' stuff for leisure before bed, like biographies of mathematicians etc
>>
File: 1453623779956.jpg (39KB, 697x943px) Image search: [Google]
1453623779956.jpg
39KB, 697x943px
>Not going to the lecture
>get the syllabus
>get the relevant lecture video or book chapter somewhere
>listen the elcture or read the chapter once
>make 2-3 examples
>never review or do any other example
>just excel at the exam

4.0 GPA (Note 1.0) @ Germany reporting in
>>
File: 1459847314680.jpg (107KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
1459847314680.jpg
107KB, 736x552px
>open the book once a week and do a bunch of problems
>get mad at yourself the other 6 days of the week for not opening the book and just doing drugs and playing video games instead
>hope for the best when you actually need what's in the book
>>
So what are you self learning and why?
>CS - reading ahead on nest year, material is interesting
>Calculus - working through Stewart, nice and straightforward but still engaging
>Economics - just really basic stuff as I'm clueless about this
>>
>>8151327
>not attending a good school

?
>>
>>8151327
>t. General Studies undergrad at bottom 10 uni
>>
>>8151384
it's a sign of brainletism

unfortunately it goes hand in hand with denial so expect some bullshit league ranking that shows one extremely specific metric by which his school is in the top 30 or some shit
>>
File: 1464205085188.jpg (31KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
1464205085188.jpg
31KB, 320x480px
>>8151389
>implying in germany we do care about prestige
>implying I attend a shit-tier school
>implying it's Gender/General Studies

And get a load of this you 'Murrican plebs.
>http://www.bbc.com/news/education-34132664

>In terms of quality, there are more UK universities at the top end of international league tables. But this is because league tables do not always include research institutes which do not teach or award degrees - and Germany has a much more distinct separation between teaching and research universities.

>Report author Mr Hillman says that if the elite German science institute, the Max Planck Society, were included in global rankings it would overtake both Oxford and Cambridge.

Don't get mad at me if I excel at University if you don't. Education in it's proper formal shape (i.e. insitute environment) isn't meant for anyone. I mean if you need to revise, re-read and even work DAILY for it just to pass your exams you are not cut out for it.
>>
File: 1465624090157.jpg (89KB, 700x933px) Image search: [Google]
1465624090157.jpg
89KB, 700x933px
>>8151405
prestige/ranking University*

We do not care about this at all. Because education and teaching is everywhere around here on higher standards. We don't have to go into debt or big formalities to enter an insitute alias University to educate ourselves. It's well known that germany is not a degree-machine unlike many other private Universities like in the US, India or Singapore. All of our Universities are public and very well standardised. No multiple choice exams, no grade curves et all and a lot of other things.
>>
>>8151405

>I mean if you need to revise, re-read and even work DAILY for it just to pass your exams you are not cut out for it.

What does that even mean? What is "it"? Stop being vague about your explanations if you're trying to prove a point.
>>
>>8151548
man oh man are you dumb
>>
>>8151586

Not really. I just know how to construct sentences in ways that convey what I mean; I don't rely on ambiguity, assuming the person I'm conversing with has the slightest clue what "it" means. How about you take your head out of your ass and realize how unintelligent you sound by using "it"?
>>
>>8151405
>I mean if you need to revise, re-read and even work DAILY for it just to pass your exams you are not cut out for it.

This is how a lot of people make it through college though. College isn't only for the biggest minds of our generation, it's also for the middle-tier brains that are too smart to do shit jobs but too dumb to really make it as an expert in any academic field. Don't be such an elitist, anon
>>
>>8151405
So hard-working people don't deserve to succeed?
>>
>>8151309
I'm going to Starbucks every day and just sitting there, for 6-8 hours and just doing whatever it is I'm learning. Right now Calculus review and learning Differential Eq. I'm alternating to not get bored / if I'm stuck on a problem.
>>
>>8151835
As in I just take my books and notebook, so I won't be distracted by anything. Phone with mobile data off, etc.
>>
>>8151837
Thats actually a pretty good idea as long as you bring ear plugs with you
>>
>>8151835
>>8151837
Sounds like it works for you, but why Starbucks? I think I'd find it too distracting. Why not a local library or park?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.