[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could a working one actually be built?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: speculumhat.png (706KB, 931x515px) Image search: [Google]
speculumhat.png
706KB, 931x515px
Could a working one actually be built?
>>
Well. One way to go about this is by pointing out the problems with the fictional design. Two are immediately apparent.

One: no stabilizer. The torque from the rotor would have you yawing uncontrollably.

Two: the controls suck. In the setup shown, you could bank left and right, but pitching forward would be awkward and difficult at best.
>>
Not unless his whole body is being dedicated to the copter's mechanisms.
>>
>>8143192
>you yawing uncontrollably

what if im not tired? or bored
>>
if everything in the pic was made of nanocarbon and the inspector was mostly hollow, then yes
>>
>>8143244
better with two rotors on top
>>
No fuel source
>>
>can't strap the thing to your head or you'll break your neck when your arms get tired of holding you up
I hope every day was upper body day, or else you're going to hit the ground.
>>
>>8143192

>no stabilizer

This could be fixed with coaxial rotors. Agree the controls suck, tho
>>
If some day we do personal devices that actually make us fly, iam sure this will be a retro version, like the james bond smart watch.
>>
>>8143192
>>8143354

Okay, so two coaxial rotors, and some improved control mechanism that at least allows for pitch. That can be done. Next questions are questions of math, which I don't know how to answer, but someone else might:

What is the minimum engine size and rotor size needed for the device to lift itself, a 200- pound man, and a bare minimum amount of fuel- say enough for a minute of flight? This is where we might find a disadvantage in coax rotors- they'll be heavier than a single rotor and stabilizer.

One more thing- just from the sheer force of the air rushing past the pilot's face, he might not be able to breathe without a compressed air supply and mask- which is going to add more weight for the engine to deal with.

I have a feeling that the minimum weight of the device is going to exceed what you'd want to carry on your head. In that case, we'd either have to go with a back-mounted device (which complicates the question of center of mass), or figure out some ridiculous system of struts to distribute weight across the body. Thinking gnarly shoulder pads.
>>
>>8143192
PAV expert here
What this guy said and the other fatal flaw is that there's nowhere for a powerful enough motor to go You would need about a 40 hp motor which is about the size of a PC tower. I think it could be done if he a) allows space for a proper motor b) make the handles a forward "U" shape so you can pitch easily and c) makes it coaxial You would need a harness to strap yourself in also because if your hands come off and your head is still attached you're hanged basically
>>
>>8143833
>You would need about a 40 hp motor which is about the size of a PC tower.
We're gonna need a bigger fedora.
>>
>>8143845
yep
>>
>>8143174
biggest problem: energy (as always)
i'm not even thinking about a fedora, as ppl said we need a 40hp motor.
For this we need a backpack.
I actually don't care tho, i mean, at least i could fucking fly then.

But how do you want to power it? gas? won't last long.
electrical? see above + takes ages to refill
>>
File: backpack helicopter.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
backpack helicopter.webm
3MB, 320x240px
>>
File: 456.jpg (58KB, 594x439px) Image search: [Google]
456.jpg
58KB, 594x439px
>>8143833
>PAV expert here
>I've posted lots about PAVs therefore I'm are expert
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.