[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you help me with tips to learn organic chemistry? I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 1464799008246.gif (1002KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1464799008246.gif
1002KB, 250x251px
Can you help me with tips to learn organic chemistry?

I just don't get it since high school.
Like I know the basics, i can recite the theory or some reactions, but what is the logic of chemistry? It's overwhelming.

What is the most crucial part to understand why this reaction is not possible and this is? Why it goes like this?

I thought you pick the mechanism and simply paste chunks of chemical formulas where "R-" is, but you can't extrapolate it that way.

>I "get" maths, physics and kinda biology pls help what's so special about chemistry?
>>
>>8141651
>I know the basics

Ok, now get the following books:
Fleming's Frontier Orbitals and Organic Chemical Reactions

Deslongschamps' "Stereoelectronic Effects in Organic Chemistry"

Grossman's "The Art of Writing Reasonable Organic Reaction Mechanisms"

go to bookzz.org and go nuts
>>
>>8141651
there is no "most crucial part" as to why a reaction will or will not work
you have to consider sterics, electronegativity/electropositivity, orbital theory, inductive effects, solvent effects, and a ton of other factors when determining if a reaction will work
there isn't a set formula for these things, a large part of it is intuition and understanding how these things work together once you understand how they work separately
stop trying to apply the same methods you use in math/physics
chemistry exists in the real world and isn't the idealized model of a system, there are too many variables and factors that we don't know about so you can't solve these problems like a system of equations
>>
File: 163373.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
163373.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
>>8141674
complete and utter bullshit
>>
File: 2016-06-14-14-58-17~01.png (52KB, 1079x429px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-14-14-58-17~01.png
52KB, 1079x429px
>>8141654
Hmm, thank you, i'll take a look.
Organic chemistry isn't my speciality though and i'm looking for a way to solve at least one problem picrelated.
Like how do you do it, do you have to mark effects, draw electrons, look up mechanisms?
Even if i learn reactions i can't start anywhere.

>>8141674
I believe this anon. How long does it have to learn all of this?
>>
File: frist 2.png (32KB, 1497x308px) Image search: [Google]
frist 2.png
32KB, 1497x308px
>>8141708
>your pic related
this has electrophilic aromatic substitution written all over it.

I'll give you the first two steps nitration (as above), then amide hydrolysis (the solvent for the hydrolysis could be a mixture of water and alcohol, w/e).

For the second set of arrows use EAS again (Cl2, FeCl3) to effect dichlorination.

Off the top of my head, I don't know the functional group transformations needed finish the problem.
>>
>>8141679
uhhh what? I'll take my current graduate studies in chemistry over your well thought out response.

>>8141708
>How long does it have to learn all of this?
varies, practice is key, don't memorize, think about why/how things work and don't treat everything as a black box like they do in biochemistry.
>>
>>8141719
Thank you anon, i'll analyse what is happening.

>>8141734
Okay, so i should stop treating chemistry like black box, thanks, i was wondering for some time.
>>
>>8141651
>What is the most crucial part to understand why this reaction is not possible and this is? Why it goes like this?

Nature seeks to decrease enthalphy (internal energy U plus pressure volume product PV: U+PV) and decrease entropy (k ln W, where k is boltzmann's constant and ln W is the # of energetically equivalent microstates). This is what drives chemical reactions.
>>
>>8141763
Increase entropy*
ln W is the natural log of energetically equivalent microstates*
>>
>>8141651
>Can you help me with tips to learn organic chemistry?
sure, go to high school.
>>
>>8141674
>a large part of it is intuition
>>8141734
>varies, practice is key, don't memorize, think about why/how things work and don't treat everything as a black box like they do in biochemistry.

You do realize that you've contradicted yourself, right? It's intuition rather than physical principle, yet you can't treat it like a black box...sounds legit!

At any rate, my two cents on this thread: focus on physical organic chemistry and learn your numbers. Once you understand things like carbocation stability, linear free-energy relationships, basic MO theory, conformational analysis, and the like you'll have a much easier time analyzing why you get certain reactivity/selectivity in certain cases (directed transformation, any reaction on a ring system, etc.). Focusing on quantities is important too because you can use energetic differences to approximate selectivities: good ones to know are pKa values (in DMSO), A1,2 strain, A1,3 strain, and cyclohexane A values for first approximations.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.