[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird "Science"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: 20120831-competentscientist.gif (26KB, 290x389px) Image search: [Google]
20120831-competentscientist.gif
26KB, 290x389px
Were these men of science really creationists?
>>
>>8129821
Most of them, old Earth creationists probably, with some of them possibly being deist clockmaker-god believers. Young earth creationism was silly even back then.
>>
>>8129829
That's funny considering AiG's view of Old Earth, as well as naturalism (study of natural sciences).
>>
>>8129821

These people were alive during a time when we didn't have the knowledge about the history of life on earth that we do now, so it's understandable that they wouldn't have believed in evolution

Tycho Brahe was a geocentrist, but does this somehow validate the idea that we can teach 21st century children that the sun revolves around the earth and still expect them to become competent scientists?
>>
File: Kent-Hovind.jpg (63KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Kent-Hovind.jpg
63KB, 900x900px
>>8129857
Then there's this chucklehead.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pqJTbToW4PI
>>
>>8129882
Oh, he is out of prison it seems.
>>
File: hovind.jpg (17KB, 250x220px) Image search: [Google]
hovind.jpg
17KB, 250x220px
>>8129897
Still on probation though, thank the Lord.
>>
>>8129882
quit spamming this guy on multiple threads, who cares?
>>
File: Steropodon_model_aus.jpg (622KB, 1000x663px) Image search: [Google]
Steropodon_model_aus.jpg
622KB, 1000x663px
>>8131922
Apparently you care enough to comment, so probably a fuck-ton.
>>
File: tardigrade[1].jpg (357KB, 1024x881px) Image search: [Google]
tardigrade[1].jpg
357KB, 1024x881px
Evolution = Mutation + Survival of the Fittest

Both mutation and survival of the fittest are observable and provable in nature.
>>
>>8129821
Yep. Newton actually thought that his greatest achievments were his theological writings, and he'll be remembered for those, not physics and mathematics.
>>
>>8129821
Sure, if I'm not mistaken Newton also believed that Alchemy was valid. Most people during Newton's time probably were because nothing better had come along to surpass it, however were they alive today they would probably end up coming to the conclusion that the vast majority of Christians do these days, that Evolution is incontrovertibly true here on Earth and is like everything else part of God's plan. As to Faraday, Origin of Species didn't even exist for the vast majority of his life, he was alive for only nine years after it was published and he worked in an unrelated field. His opinion about the diversity of species is irrelevant. As to Wernher von Braun, he wasn't particularly religious until he came to America and was converted by Evangelicals and he also didn't work in a related field, he was a rocket engineer and program manager. Smart people are not precluded from holding stupid beliefs.

Dan Lietha is making an argument from authority, he thinks (or at least wants the reader to think) that the authority of individuals is what bestows validity to theories as apposed to the evidence that support them. Also I don't think I've ever heard Bill Nye make the claim that one HAS to accept Evolution to be a competent scientist or engineer, so I wouldn't be shocked if Dan is taking this statement out of context, mashing two quotes together, or simply lying outright.
>>
Some were, because prior to 1859 science had not presented a competitive theory explaining biological diversity. Others were closet nonbelievers bound to espouse public belief for fear of reprisals.

Very few would remain young earth creationists today though since the evidence against such a theory is overwhelming.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.