[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some interesting current biological studies?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1464731426215.gif (256KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1464731426215.gif
256KB, 320x240px
What are some interesting current biological studies?
>>
File: Manbearpig.jpg (35KB, 500x440px) Image search: [Google]
Manbearpig.jpg
35KB, 500x440px
>>8127517
>http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36437428
>Scientists in the US are trying to grow human organs inside pigs.
>They have injected human stem cells into pig embryos to produce human-pig embryos known as chimeras.
>Walter Low, professor in the department of neurosurgery, University of Minnesota, said pigs were an ideal "biological incubator" for growing human organs, and could potentially be used to create not just a pancreas but hearts, livers, kidneys, lungs and corneas.
>if the iPS cells were taken from a patient needing a transplant then these could be injected in a pig embryo which had the key genes deleted for creating the required organ, such as the liver: "The organ would be an exact genetic copy of your liver but a much younger and healthier version and you would not need to take immunosuppressive drugs which carry side-effects."
>These embryos have been allowed to develop for up to 62 days - the normal gestation period is around 114 days.
>Like the team in California, Prof Low said they were monitoring the effects on the pig brain: "With every organ we will look at what's happening in the brain and if we find that it's too human like, then we won't let those foetuses be born".
>In Greek mythology, chimeras were fire-breathing monsters composed of several animals - part lion, goat and snake. The scientific teams believe human-pig chimeras should look and behave like normal pigs except that one organ will be composed of human cells.

But of course, atheist-hippies ruin everything

>But organisations campaigning for an end to factory farming are dismayed at the thought of organ farms.
>Peter Stevenson, from Compassion in World Farming, told me: "I'm nervous about opening up a new source of animal suffering. Let's first get many more people to donate organs. If there is still a shortage after that, we can consider using pigs, but on the basis that we eat less meat so that there is no overall increase in the number of pigs being used for human purposes."
>>
>>8127548
Goddamed hippies ruining good science because the media told them to care about this case. I work regularly with hybrid human mouse cells called 1A3. To me this is no different. We have been using animals to test on for centuries and this is pretty tame compared to the shit the pharmaceutical industry puts monkeys through. medical progress requires living subjects and i rather it be an animal than a human
>>
I think someone mentioned a guy trying to find a way to slow aging here before. Don't have any links, but it might be worth looking into.
>>
>>8127517
Mathematical Biology. One of my professors who's dabbled in the field is convinced it's the next big thing and is trying to convince me to go into it. She's really far onto the pure side of applied math too. I just might.
>>
>>8127548
>[[[Stevenson]]]
The Swede strikes again.
>>
>>8127548
>Let's first get many more people to donate organs

Does he not understand the possible no 'need to take immunosupressive drugs' advantage?
>>
>>8127881
>]]]

No, don't let them create meme
>>
>>8127610
And media must have been told that by donor organs black market giants, how sad.
It's unethical, but it's entirely possible and doable to grow organs from human embryo cells. Soon we may find a morally right substitute
>>
How the hell does one get a job such as the students experimenting with organs and such?
>>
>>8128721
How is it unethical if it's chimera organs? It's not like an actual person is dying to synthesize these organs.
>>
>>8128739
I wasn't talking about what that anon mentioned.
>>
>>8127889
These queers are so distanced from seeing anything involving human organ trafficking that of course they'd care about a pig or two. Sure is nice being such a progressive, cosmopolitan type bubbled away from any real plight.
>>
>>8127517
Combinatorics
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.