[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/: Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 40

File: tumblr_m6n6r7z1Wt1qb4m38o1_1280.jpg (493KB, 1280x1018px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6n6r7z1Wt1qb4m38o1_1280.jpg
493KB, 1280x1018px
The other one is at the bump limit

Why is slope-intercept form so popular, and why do we not use the x-intercept instead of the y-intercept?
>>
>>8107697
> x-intercept and y-intercept
what is the difference?
>>
>>8107700
I mean instead of [math]y=mx + b[/math] why is it not [math]x=\frac{y-b}{m}[/math] the more popular form. Or maybe even something else
>>
>>8107697
>>8107704
because it's exactly the same.
If I'm looking for y, I'd rather have y=mx+b
if you're looking for x, you'd rather have y/m - b/m
and I can argue that my y is your x.
>>
>>8107708
Yeah but when people say "slope-intercept form" they usually mean y=mx+b, no? Without having "y" anywhere in the name of the form
>>
>>8107704
>>8107708
also y=polynomial(x) is not easily revertible.
y=mx+b is just a particular case where it is.
>>
>>8107710
it's in "slope"

a function f with a constant slope will have the form f(x) = ax+b.
When graphing it, an ordinate y is associated with an absciss x via y=ax+b. The slope is encoded in a, not in 1/a :)
>>
How does x=0 make the simplified expression undefined? Also, if I have that sort of fraction and I simplify and for the simplified form x=0 is not undefined, but for the not-simplified form it is, does that mean that the function is undefined at x=0 or not?
>>
>>8107731
Wunderlist has a desktop app (that I never used)
>>
>>8107726
>How does x=0 make the simplified expression undefined?
it's undefined because if you want to evaluate it, you would have to divide 9*0^2 by (9*0^2)*(4*0+3), which is dividing 0 by 0.

>Also, if I have that sort of fraction and I simplify and for the simplified form x=0 is not undefined, but for the not-simplified form it is, does that mean that the function is undefined at x=0 or not?

it is undefined at x=0.
however you can do something called a continuous prolongation, which means taking the limit of a continuous function at the points where it is not defined (such as x=0 here). The limit when x goes to 0 is obviously 1/3. You can define a new function that is exactly equal to this one everywhere except for x=0, and associate a coherent value at x=0 to make that function continuous.
>>
>>8107736
>it's undefined because if you want to evaluate it, you would have to divide 9*0^2 by (9*0^2)*(4*0+3), which is dividing 0 by 0.
Wait a second, isn't the simplified one the on on the right side?

>it is undefined at x=0.
Maybe the last part of your post answers this but just to make sure... If I get 2 functions
[eqn]fx)=\frac{1}{4x+3} \\ g(x) = \frac{9x^2}{9x^2(4x+3)}[/eqn]

Then those 2 functions do NOT have the same domain even if they seem to be equivalent (to me)? Because g(x) is undefined at 0 and f(x) is not
>>
>>8107718
I guess this sort of kinda makes sense to me
>>
>>8107734
Thanks for that, might have saved my sanity.
>>
>>8107704
>multiplication is more intuitive than division
>addition is more intuitive than subtraction
>mx+c can be written on only one line and with no brackets
>mx+c cannot be accidentally written ambiguously, unlike y-b/m
>mx+c immediately tells you the gradient and y-intercept which means you can picture the line instantly, as opposed to third options like ax+by+c=0
>having a convention is a good idea, outside any concerns over which convention would be best
>>
>>8107761
>y-b/m is ambiguous
Maybe you should revise order of operations this summer vacation anon
>>
>>8107752
oh never mind

the simplified expression is well defined, BUT it's not equal to the unsimplified one for x=0.

and yes, f and g do not have the same domain. but they take the same values on the intersection of their domains.
>>
File: f.png (5KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
f.png
5KB, 600x600px
>>8107764
Maybe you need to focus on reading comprehension instead of looking for reasons to be a smug cunt. When somebody is scribbling down workings, situations like pic related will inevitably happen.
>>
>>8107799
>being this butthurt
lel i was fucking with you bud
>>
File: only pretending.png (2KB, 244x226px) Image search: [Google]
only pretending.png
2KB, 244x226px
>>8107806
Shit man you sure got me gud how will my epeen ever recover
>>
>>8107815
chill sometime
>>
>>8107711
this. y=f(x) can in most cases not be solved for x. (only if f is injective)
>>
File: aircraft carrier.jpg (324KB, 1480x1201px) Image search: [Google]
aircraft carrier.jpg
324KB, 1480x1201px
Is there a program that will show you a Bloch sphere representation of a qubit in ket form? Right now I need to know what

[eqn]\frac{1}{\sqrt2}\left(\left|0\right\rangle-|1\rangle\right)[/eqn]

looks like, but I'll probably want to visualise other stuff later on.

Also thanks to the various anons who've been slowly teaching me QC over successive sqt threads.
>>
>>8107876
you might need to code a script yourself.
In fact I would argue that coding something like that would teach you more (by making sure you understand everything) than using a premade program.

(this is the only contribution I can give since I don't know of any such program)
>>
>>8107879
Fuck, you're probably right.
>>
Carrying over my question. Can someone link me to or explain to me how to find a specific digit of pi in laymans.
>>
>>8107885
I think there's a formula for base 16, not sure there is one for base 10. (Which is kind of a random base)
>>
>>8107869
f being injective is nowhere near enough
>>
Does anything change if the Schrödinger Equation for electrons in a potential is viewed in more than three dimensions?
>>
How and why is the span of the kern of [math]\begin{bmatrix}
0&1&0\\
0&0&0\\
0&1&0\\
\end{bmatrix}[/math] equal to [math]\begin{bmatrix}
1\\
0\\
1\\
\end{bmatrix} and \begin{bmatrix}
-1\\
0\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}[/math] ?
>>
why are asians and indians so prominent in medicine and biology fields
>>
>>8108491
Look at the definition of the kernel. Act on a generic element with that matrix and find out how many free parameters there are in the kernel. Then you'll see that these two basis vectors span the same space
>>
Hello friends, is it safe to assume that you always pool the standard deviations of two sample populations when the sample sizes are small (n<30)?
>>
>>8108504
They work their asses off in school since the ones that get to go to school know their chance dont waste their time and go into high paying fields that also allow them to work abroad, specifically the US.
>>
>>8108520
Sorry but that just doesn't cut it, would you care to elaborate or rephrase what you just wrote? What does it mean to "act on a generic element with the matrix" and what are "free parameters in the kernel" ?
>>
If I want to compare 2 algorithms that perform on around 50 data points and I have the mean absolute error for both -- how do I calculate if the difference between them is significant?
>>
>>8108491
it's not
>>
>>8108491
it's actually [1, 0, 0] and [0, 0, 1]
>>
>>8108611
>>8108606
anything that is linearily independent with a 0 as the second coordinate is valid.
>>
>>8108611
Those span the same set.
>>
Is math.stackexchange the best site for menial math questions?
>>
File: g(x).png (41KB, 591x721px) Image search: [Google]
g(x).png
41KB, 591x721px
how do you find the exact value of the critical point of the gamma function?
>>
>>8108859
no closed form
>>
I'm taking a modern algebra course but unfortunately haven't had any number theory. Our text lays out some results of the latter that we'll need when working with groups, but doesn't go into why they are true.

In particular, why is the product of the the GCD and LCM of two numbers equal to the product of the two numbers? Is there any way to visualize this or get some intuition? I imagine it has something to do with the prime factorization of the two numbers (a concept of which I am only familiar with the definition).
>>
>>8108922
let a and b be your two numbers, G their gcd, and L their LCM.

a=G*a'
b=G*b', where a' and b' are coprime.
G=a/a' = b/b'

prove that L=a*b' = b*a'

you really should get used to proving this stuff on your own anon, it will help you greatly.

Come back to ask questions if you get stuck.
>>
>>8108922
write down the prime factorizations.
the gcd has prime factorization with the minimum of the exponents of the numbers, lcm same but with the max.
the product then has min+max.
Please note that min(a,b)+max(a,b)=a+b

of course this only works in unique factorization domains
>>
I'm a boring CS guy so cool math things are way beyond my game, but I saw that 1+2+3+4+...=infinity thing and it got me thinking. Say you have a sphere with a volume of 1 m^2. Then you put another sphere around that one, with a volume of 1+2 m^2. You put another one around that with a volume of 1+2+3 m^2. If you could keep doing this to infinity, would it not mean that the "infinity-ith" sphere would have a volume of -1/12, and therefore space in our universe must be finite since a negative volume can't exist? I'm sure this and similar things much more complicated than it have already been thought of, and I'm pretty sure there's still no consensus on the universe being infinite or not, so I'm wondering why this math magic is wrong more than anything else.
>>
>>8108922
[eqn]
a=p_1^{\alpha_1}p_2^{\alpha_2}...p_k^{\alpha_k}
\\
b=p_1^{\beta_1}p_2^{\beta_2}...p_k^{\beta_k}
\\
GCD(a,b)=p_1^{min(\alpha_1, \beta_1)}p_2^{min(\alpha_2, \beta_2)}...p_k^{min(\alpha_k, \beta_k)}
\\
LCM(a,b)=p_1^{max(\alpha_1, \beta_1)}p_2^{max(\alpha_2, \beta_2)}...p_k^{max(\alpha_k, \beta_k)}
\\
GCD(a, b)*LCM(a, b)=p_1^{min(\alpha_1, \beta_1)+max(\alpha_1, \beta_1)}p_2^{min(\alpha_2, \beta_2)+max(\alpha_2, \beta_2)}...p_k^{min(\alpha_k, \beta_k)+max(\alpha_k, \beta_k)}=ab
[/eqn]
>>
>>8108957
A volume of -1/12 m^2, that is, not that the unit of measurement matters much.
>>
>>8108957
no
>>
>>8108957
No. Volume is defined to always be non-negative. The whole -1/12 shit is retarded. In your volume stuff if I understood correctly the difference between consecutive radius goes to 0 when the number of spheres goes to infinity, but I'm not sure what you meant.
>>
>>8108967
buh

>>8108971
That's my point - because the volume of the spheres should go to -1/12 if space in the universe is infinite, space in the universe can't be infinite. The whole thing seems silly, which is why I'm asking why it's silly.
>>
>>8108979
the 1+2+3+...=infinity thing is silly.
>>
>>8108979
We're talking about Euclidean geometry. Planes are infinite by axiom, so are lines, space, etc. So you're not taking any practical considerations into account.
>>
>>8108987
Oh, shit, I'm a dummy. In my original post I meant to write 1+2+3+4+...=-1/12 if "..." goes to infinity. Yeah, my bad, without that my post makes no sense.
>>
>>8108142
uhm, yeah, it kind of is.
>>
>>8108994
>I meant to write 1+2+3+4+...=-1/12 if "..." goes to infinity
thats stupid. the partial sums diverge, there is no limit

and unless you know how to analytically continue the zeta function to -1, I recommend you never again write 1+2+...=-1/12, it makes you look like an idiot
>>
>>8108994
Actually I caught what you meant but made a typo lol. Meant to say "1+2+3+...=-1/12 is silly". Don't put too much stock in it.
>>
>>8109007
I've read into it a bit more than just the youtube videos and stuff, and I'm just curious as to why it doesn't apply like that. I don't know why it makes me look like an idiot to ask questions about math shit, other than this being 4chan where everyone is an idiot but the posting user.
>>
If I mix 1 oz of PH 3 liquid with 3 oz of PH 7 liquid, what will the result be? I said 4 oz of PH 10 liquid but my professor said to go back and do the reading, I can't find out how to do this properly though.
>>
Are humans a solid, liquid, or gas?
>>
>>8109034
use concentrations of H3O+.
>>
>>8108957
-1/12 is a meme you dip
>>
>>8109034
You fundamentally don't understand what pH means. Seriously, go back and do the reading.
>>
>>8109034

>>8109039
This. Calculate oxonium concentrations using [math]-Log[H_{3}O^{+}]=pH[/math] and work from there.
Remember, pH is just a convenient way of looking at oxonium concentration.
>>
If you take a normal food and turn it into a liquid shake do you pee it out or poop it out?
>>
>>8108491
bump, still no answer
>>
>>8108997
What if f never hits y? Then there is no solution. Also the only injective polynomials are linear polynomials, and they certainly aren't the only ones with solutions (non unique solutions, but still).
>>
>>8109209
you can't solve for y if there is no y to solve for.
>>
>>8109153
you really need to understand what a matrix is anon
if u1 u2 u3 are your basis vectors, the first column of the matrix is the image of u1, the second column is the image of u2 etc.

the image of u1 is 0, so u1 is in the ker.
the image of u3 is 0 so u3 is also in it.
the image of u2 is not 0, so u2 is not in the kernel.
so any linear combination of u1 and u3 is in the kernel.
>>
>>8109213
That's the point. y=f(x) cannot always be solved for x if f is not surjective. Injectivity is not even what matters here.
>>
What are my options for grad school if I major ECE + CS?
>>
>>8109221
it is.
a function cannot map to two value at the same time.
go back to fucking middle school m8
>>
>>8109034
>oz
lmao you fucking cucks never fail to amuse me
>>
>>8109250
This board is too fucking much sometimes.
>>
Aight;
so polymeres are created by fixing two different monomers, each with their own functional groups. Each monomer has one of said group at each end of the molecule, which makes it possible to keep on making the polymere-chain longer.

Feel me? Right? K, so how do you stop the polymerisation?
>>
I'm currently gonna transfer to a state university in the fall for computer engineering. I was thinking of getting into a trade while going to school. What's a good trade that you guys recommend as I study at a university? Hopefully a trade that won't take too long to learn and isn't expensive. I live in southern california if that makes a difference on trades.
>>
I know that the order of an electric circuit equals the order of the DE that describes its behavior, and the natural response is the solution to the homogeneous DE, while the forced response is the solution to the inhomogeneous DE, but how can I identify which solution is which given only the total solution, and do I know the order of the circuits given the transfer function? I was only told that the forced response 'looks like' the excitation/forcing function, but how much does it have to look like?

Somewhere today I read that the natural response goes to zero as t->inf, is this always true? I've also read that solutions obtained from the transfer function poles are the natural response, what justifies this? And how is the order of a circuit related with the transfer function?
>>
So i'm particularily interested in physics and chemistry (that includes biochem) and maybe even math. I want to study something were new breakthroughs for the future should be made. I that feel that advanced physics like quantum physics is maybe a bit too early for us to focus on, and that maybe we should take care of human problems first instead. Like cures and enhancements.

What's your opinion? Do you know of any studies that are currently undergoing rapid growth?
>>
Where (in which book) can I read about (Riemannian..?) metrics induced by kinetic energy and what do I need to know to actually understand what that means?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-30-08-22-55.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-30-08-22-55.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
How can I memorize the name/term/appearance of +150 structures on +150 preparations before Thursday?

>pic related
is vagina parts
>>
File: wave guide.png (7KB, 1081x565px) Image search: [Google]
wave guide.png
7KB, 1081x565px
Hello /sci/
I'm sure this is incredibly stupid, but whatever.

Say you have two electromagnetic waves traveling down two wave guides that then combine at some point, what the hell do they make?

Do they overlap? combine? interfere with each other and bounce around like crazy?

What if they are...
Roughly the same wave?
Same wave length but different energy?
Two completely different waves?

This is all black magic to me but I'm just trying to get a general idea.
>>
>>8110004
>trying to do physics without mathematics

this will amount to nothing. The result could be anything.
>>
>>8110007
Ok, say two radio waves
>A: 20 MHz
>B: 30 MHz
>>
>>8109798
You have to immerse yourself in it, like learning a language.
>>
File: 1452121918401s.jpg (2KB, 93x125px) Image search: [Google]
1452121918401s.jpg
2KB, 93x125px
>>8110032
>>8109798

>immerse yourself in vagina

10/10 advice
>>
>>8109374
you're such a colossal fagot I dont know whether I should even attempt to explain to you why you're so goddamn fuckings stupid.

here it is: if a function F is injective, then every value F(x) is uniquely identified by x, therefore you can solve y=F(x) for x.
You dont need surjectivity for that you humongous turd.

Here's an example: F going from the integers to the integers defined via F(n) = 2n.
This is injective, given some number 2n, I can always solve this for n
F is obviously not surjective, and it fucking doesnt have to be, you cocksucking middle schooler.
a left inverse G(x) would be given by G(x)=x/2. Note that this is not a right inverse of F, as G only maps even integers to integers.
(For F to also have a right inverse, it would need to be surjective. But to solve y=F(x) for x we only need a left-inverse.)

now kindly die in a fire
>>
>>8110136
I can solve x^2+1=1 for x over the reals, uniquely even. I can't solve x^2+1=0.
>>
>>8110193
... your point being?
>>
>>8110193
>I can't solve x^2+1=0.
then try harder
>>
>>8110193
quadratic polynomials are neither injective nor surjective over the reals.
your an retard
>>
File: book2.jpg (237KB, 579x898px) Image search: [Google]
book2.jpg
237KB, 579x898px
Got given a copy of pic related by my university today, to read over the summer before second year starts. Never really made notes from a book before (always used lecture slides/notes backed up with online material), what's the most efficient way to take notes from a book?

Also does anybody have experience with the book, how is it?
>>
>>8110252
you won't need notes, you've got the book.
If you actually understand what's inside and are able to use it on examples, you will easily be able to find the information you're looking for in the book. Even years after.
>>
>>8110252
For math, I summarize the chapters into important concepts with just enough information to refer to when solving problems. I also reword and use external knowledge from other math that feels relevant. Pretend you are summarizing for someone who knows the same things you do. That simple act goes a long way into solidifying the concepts. As for its actual utility, it's nice to end up with one or two pages to have by your side while doing homework and working on committing these concepts to memory.
>>
>>8110257
I probably won't need it years after, they only gave it us for summer reading. We'll probably get a full course textbook like we did this year
>>
>>8108997
You may want to check out the inverse function theorem.
>>
>>8110296
keep going
>>
Why did animals evolve from being hermaphrodite to being dioecious/separated sexes? What is the advantage in this?
>>
File: q.png (349KB, 1830x490px) Image search: [Google]
q.png
349KB, 1830x490px
>>8110306
It's easily searchable but here you go.
>>
>>8110318
no I know the theorem, I just don't see where you're going with this
>>
>>8110312
because evolution is a myth
>>
>>8110296
IFT says that a function whose derivative doesnt vanish locally will be locally injective.

precisely how does that contradict the fact that f must be injective in order to solve y=f(x) for x?
>>
>>8110195
>>8110220
You said a function needs to be injective to be solvable, and I believe you said that was sufficient. So I showed that even though x^2+1 is not injective, that x^2+1=1 has a unique solution. The fact that it isn't surjective is what prevents another equation from having a solution. Surjectivity is the condition that affects existence of solutions. To use your example, 2n=3 has no integer solutions despite 2n being injective.
>>
>>8110341
I sure wish it were possible to solve a quadratic equation. It is such a shame that quadratic polynomials are never injective.
>>
>>8110343
>So I showed that even though x^2+1 is not injective, that x^2+1=1 has a unique solution
but f(x)=x^2+1 IS injective on the interval [0,inf), you fucking retard

are you literally this retarded? has noone ever told you what an injective function is?
>>
>>8110360
*as well as on (-inf, 0]
>>
>>8110360
Damn, excellent fucking post. The constant function f(x) = 3 is injective when restricted to the set {3}. Then f(x)=0 must be solvable on this set, so 0=3.
>>
>>8110343
>You said a function needs to be injective to be solvable, and I believe you said that was sufficient.
no, we said a polynomial being injective is necessary for f(x)=y to be reversed.

If you take a parabola y=x^2, and try to mirror it wrt y=x, you don't get a function, you get two functions (sqrt(x) and -sqrt(x)) as you know

>So I showed that even though x^2+1 is not injective, that x^2+1=1 has a unique solution.
good, how about x^2+1=0? You don't get to choose the right hand side as you want.

>Surjectivity is the condition that affects existence of solutions.
ok

>I sure wish it were possible to solve a quadratic equation. It is such a shame that quadratic polynomials are never injective.
?????
>>
>>8110369
Are you trying to invert the function rather than solve an equation?
>>
File: mini-mike-motor-bike.webm (2MB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
mini-mike-motor-bike.webm
2MB, 720x1280px
>>8110367
kek this

maybe we should stop responding anon
>>
>>8110374
YES
THAT'S WHY THE FIRST FUCKING GUY ASKED WHY DO WE WRITE Y=F(X) AND NOT X=WHATEVER(Y)
>>
>>8110383
Okay, it sounded like we were discussing different things. To be clear, solving f(x)=y and inverting f impart different intentions. To me, what was posted asks to find a value of x which makes f(x)=y. I agree that you want f to be injective to invert it.
>>
>>8110394
>impart
imply. Swype gets me every now and again.
>>
File: 1441112759788.png (4KB, 535x72px) Image search: [Google]
1441112759788.png
4KB, 535x72px
How to simplify to this?
Is there a site to learn to simplify like this?
>>
so if energy is required to lift something vertically, is energy required to move something horizontally? Is instantaneous travel possible if the portals are placed in such a way that they are on the same horizontal plane and the matter doesnt have to be lifted vertically?
>>
>>8110500
if P=b
c=-Q^2

then Pe is a root of the polynomial X^2 + bX + c, or written otherwise:
Pe^2 + P*Pe - Q^2 = 0
therefore Q = sqrt(Pe(Pe-P))
>>
>>8107764
Order of operations is fucking stupid, just write unambiguously and understand what operations actually do instead of using arbitrary rules.
>>
I'm studying CS in 4th semester and I've gotten to the point where I don't understand anything, pls send help.
>>
Here's one. Does anyone else miss feeling a sense of wonder? Like things were a lot more fun when you could believe in stuff like ghosts and alien abductions? That studying scientific disciplines ruined your capacity for imagination and fun?

Feels like the curse of knowing the cheat codes for a game. Whether you use them or not, just knowing that you *can* undermines the sense of challenge, making the game less enjoyable.
>>
>>8110583
I know this is a troll but I'll respond anyway.
Order of operations lets you write stuff (unambiguously) way shorter and more readable, for example which do you prefer, this:
3*a+2*(b+5*c)
or
(3*a) + (2*(b+(5*c))

notice how each level of parenthesis makes your brain go softer? Humans have a very hard time keeping track of these (thats why nested if-statements in a program are considered bad style), so you should aim for the notation that avoids clutter as much as possible.

thats why einstein invented his own summation indexing notation.
>>
File: rip.png (14KB, 922x154px) Image search: [Google]
rip.png
14KB, 922x154px
How can I solve this? I don't have idea
>>
>>8110594
>I'm studying CS in 4th semester and I've gotten to the point where I don't understand anything, pls send help.

Sorry, modern medicine can cure that level of retardation.
>>
if a function F satisfies the intermediate value theorem, then the function F is always defined.

I do not know how to prove this and no it is not a homework question
>>
>>8110500
You're overthinking that. All they've done there is transpose the equation to make Q the subject. It's just simple algebra
>>
>>8110516
Energy is required to alter the acceleration of an object. In a frictionless case, an object can move horizontally at constant velocity without doing work. No fucking clue what your portal shit is on about though, can you try explaining the question
>>
>>8110723
I´d imagine you would have more luck if you posted the problem in bloody english
>>
File: fixed.png (13KB, 581x400px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.png
13KB, 581x400px
>>8110843
Help please
>>
Is it possible for a man to be implanted with a fetus and carry it to term?
>>
Best first book for introduction to quantum mechanics (just completed a linear algebra course with Hoffman and self-studied mechanics with Taylor and Gregory).
>>
>>8109221
This guy is right. Everyone else is an idiot.
>>
there's no qtddtot, so here seems like a good place to ask.
in the representation Z*exp(i*theta), Z is the amplitude, equal to the magnitude of the x and y components, and theta is the phase, equal to:
arctan(x/y)
or
arctan(y/x)

Question 2, does anyone have a good source for a taylor approximation of the phase of the crank-nicholson method, where dphi/pt = i*omega*phi?
>>
>>8111623
>arctan(y/x)

x=R cos(t)
y=R sin(t)
y/x = tan(t)
t=atan(y/x)
>>
>>8111637
ty
>>
How do I approximate logarithms mentally?

this shit is really annoying
>>
>>8111670
Just find the last power before it and add a bit. So if you need log base 10 of 150 call it "2 and a bit".
>>
>>8111677

I was hoping to get it to like 2 s.f.
>>
Trying to get into thinking here and i keep running into the claim that philosophy is bullshit. Is it worth studying at all or is just the path to psuedo intellectualism.
>>
>>8111701

how about you dont base your life on what strangers on the internet say you dumb little cumslut

if you want to learn philosophy, learn it. If you dont, dont.
>>
>>8111706
I am not basing my life on other's opinions. I just want to know if the claim is legitimate or not. I'd rather not waste time filling my head with woo and instead get the correct information from the start. I don't think that is an unreasonable question to ask a /sci/ientist, especially in a stupid question thread.
>>
Trig final next week boys. Can you post the most rigorous exam you know of?
>>
File: 1455354048889.jpg (342KB, 536x640px) Image search: [Google]
1455354048889.jpg
342KB, 536x640px
>>8107697
>>8107697

Can you mitigate the damage from a stroke or heart attack by massive bloodletting to reduce blood pressure? Assuming an ambulance will take ~20 minutes to reach you.
>>
File: trig 3.png (13KB, 753x142px) Image search: [Google]
trig 3.png
13KB, 753x142px
>>8111740

I had mine last week, it was a bit of a doozy desu.
>>
>>8111747
no, you retard.
strokes and heart attacks are caused by clots blocking bloodflow to the brain or heart respectively. (in the case of heart attacks, it's the smaller vessels that feed the heart muscle, not the larger passageways inside the heart itself that are blocked.) while high blood pressure is a risk factor for these conditions (the more pressure the blood vessels are under, the greater the likelihood of the blood vessel lining tearing a little and causing the formation of a clot, especially if there are sclerotic plaques in the vessels) but they're not what causes the harm. the damage is done by reduced bloodflow to the affected area causing anoxia and therefore cell death.
>>
>>8110312
Genetic variation
>>
File: 1450492208967.png (5KB, 233x326px) Image search: [Google]
1450492208967.png
5KB, 233x326px
>>
>>8111758

Then what about forcefully pumping in a litre of saline to blow the clot out of position?
>>
>>8111769 (me)

Sure it'll possibly cause more clots but the overall damage will be spread out to different locations.

You could have a bunch of little things wrong with you instead of one major thing.
>>
Do identical twins always have the exact same DNA or can there be any mutations when the egg splits?
>>
I was having a conversation with someone and they said that Heroin addiction is different from other forms of addiction because when you're physically addicted to it you're body permanently loses the capability to create certain necessary chemicals and thus you would go into an everlasting withdraw without indefinitely taking a certain prescription and the alternitive is basically death.

Is this true, partially true, or complete horse shit? Also, are there any recommendations on where I can read up on it to better understand it so I can either confirm or correct their statment?
>>
>>8111784
there are often some mutations after the division.
>>
[math]\int_{t-2}^{t+2}\delta(\tau)d \tau[/math]
Is the interval t-2,t+2 just the part of the constant function starting which would be non zero for t=2?
>>
>>8111927
If that person is currently an addict they are full of shit and don't want to give it up. I've seen someone going through withdrawals before and it isn't pretty. Be supportive of addicts, but to a point. Only they can help or 'fix' themselves.
>>
>>8111927
It's partially horseshit

most drug addictions never really "go away" in the sense that you'll never think about taking that drug again

but staying in permanent withdrawal? No, lots of people get off heroin just fine and live normal lives.
>>
>>8107876
[eqn]|\psi\rangle = \cos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right) |0\rangle + e^{i\phi} \sin\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right) |1\rangle[/eqn]It only took me a few minutes to memorize the typical states like [math]|+\rangle[/math] and [math]|-\rangle[/math] and then visualize other states by moving those around the Bloch ball. As you can see, the polar angle is determined by 'how much' [math]|0\rangle[/math] and [math]|1\rangle[/math] there is, while the azimuth angle is just the typical complex plane rotation.
>>
>>8110655
>tfw you have no issue with parenthetical brain softening and prefer using nested if statements because they're idiot proof

>>8110312
>Why did animals evolve from being hermaphrodite to being dioecious/separated sexes?
Because some hermaphroditic creature spawned some non-hermaphroditic creature and that one either was successful enough to create a new evolutionary branch or because it and its progeneracy it simply out competed all other members of it's former species

Hate to be that guy, but tis a silly question. At least you're in the right thread.

>What is the advantage in this?
That's a much better questions, with a lot of different potential answers. I imagine it has a lot to do with resource management on a personal level. That first mutant would only have to produce and maintain one fully functional sets of genitalia as compared to the two fully functional sets of genitalia that it's fellows would have to produce and maintain. That's less flesh and blood which ultimately comes from food that mutant would have to maintain said organs, which means that organism may have been able to spend less time foraging or hunting for food and may have meant that they had more time and energy spent on other necessary facets of survival as well as more time spent trying to reproduce.

Another hypothesis is that that mutation may have occurred in tandem with another mutation that helped individuals survive and reproduce. Maybe the first mutant had other advantageous traits that got passed on along with it's inability to produce two separate sets of fully functional genitalia.

Yet another hypothesis is that it was really just a throw of the dice and it just happened that some mutant with those genes lived while some other one died despite one having no distinctive advantage over the other, like how the universe just happens to be mostly matter as opposed to anti-matter right now.

tl;dr
Who knows? Evolution is kind of funny like that sometimes.
>>
>>8111943
They aren't an addict, at least I don't thing they are since I'm relativity sure they don't use, but I think they read some stuff that said some stuff that was a bit questionable and got it stuck in their head.
>>
>>8110649
Yes. It's part of mental maturation, or at least how I think of it. I believe I've matured significantly, to a point that most people don't obtain until midway through their life, or perhaps never achieve
>>
>>8110649
>>8111965
I rarely get visibly excited about things like I would when I was a kid, but I still feel a deep sense of wonder when I contemplate certain topics. Are you sure you aren't conflating the two? Maybe you're just looking at things from the wrong perspective.

For example, when I looked up at the night sky when I was a small child I was dimly aware of the fact that all those little glowing dots were just like our sun but that they were really far away.

I thought that was cool.

Now when I look up at the night sky I understand that I'm one of many bipedal semi-hairless ape that's looking up at endless fields of completley alien solar systems that are back-light by massive gravity driven fusion reactors that shine their light through incomprehensible volumes of space and mind-boggling lengths of time before finally pricing through the atmospheric soup that surrounds earth to penetrate my retina and allow the sodium-ion supercomputer situated conveniently between my ears to attempt to process the enormity of the heavens that are hanging right above my head.

And then I remember that for every single spot of light I can see in the sky on any given night there are countless more that I can't see.

Then I think, "Holy shit, the universe is fucking amazing."

I don't know, that's how I see it at least. Maybe I'm the weird one here for still being amazed by basic stuff like the night sky.
>>
>>8108504

Plagiarism and cheating.
>>
>>8111990
It's that I know what I'm looking at now. Or at least I think I do. And it has made me greatly apathetic as opposed to when I used to believe I had purpose in life
>>
Is there some operator that relates the natural numbers to the integers via a mechanism akin to bit-shifting?

i.e. 1.7238419 --> 17238419
>>
>>8112020
>Needing a purpose
A purposeless existence is a spectacular one as it needs not exist for no greater reason than the fact that it does exist. Try to appreciate that.

>>8108504
Asian's are quite literally the majority population on the planet, meaning that there are more Asian people than there are every other ethnic group put together. When you keep that in mind then it almost seems like they aren't pulling their weight when compared with Americans and Europeans who are distinctly a minority by comparison.

Think about it this way. More people live in India than in the entire United States and ALL of Europe put together, and that's only the SECOND biggest country in the world. China is even bigger than that.
>>
yo, where does the electricity and magnetism pick up int he book? waves/acoustics? Thermodynamics?

srs question, I wanna teach myself the second part so I can do good during teh fall.
>>
How long realistically could a person of average intelligence or slightly lower(myself) take to learn whatever is contained in algebra 1 and 2?

I want to learn Calc and Trig eventually and it seemed to me that 2 semesters for each in public school wasn't going to be equivalent to self teaching.
>>
>>8112456
umm, idk man giving you a realistic time is kind of hard. If you really put your mind to it, you can probably learn algebra 1 and 2 in about 2-3 months. This is with you practicing a minimum of 1 hour a day.

But like I said, its kinda hard to give you a time estimate, for I know you might require to put in 2 hours a day.

Get yourself those schaums books. The PDF's are online and theres a lot of practice problems on each topic. I used them to get good at calculus and I got pretty fucking good at it, not bragging but practice is key with math... or anything really lol.
>>
File: 20160531_113710.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160531_113710.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Wat do?

14a) I got 4.8x10^10

From W=mV

b) I got 9/1

By equation GMa/9=GMb/1 rearrange for Ma/Mb

There are no answers to this, is it right and if not what's the solution
>>
I am at a loss, have exam tomorrow and doing an old test, and I'm stuck on this pos problem

"to a 20 mL 0,1022 M solution of HAc are added 5,0 mL 0,1985 M NaOH, at which pH was measured 4,70. calculate HAc Ka. pKw = 14,00 at 25c"

anyone?
>>
Will we have FTL travel within our lifetimes?
>>
>>8112973
nvm, solved it
>>
>>8109583
Where did you hear about such a thing?
>>
>>8110881
Soooo, do the operators commute? Cmon man give it a fucking try
>>
>>8112509
No one does physics here?
>>
>>8113112
No one cares about freshman physics.
post your hw somewhere else
>>
>>8113115
>doesn't know how answer simple physics
>gets mad and tells others to leave
>/sci/ not for hw meme
>can't tell they are practice book questions
>probably studies philosophy and comes on sci to feel intelligent
>>
File: 15.png (16KB, 713x117px) Image search: [Google]
15.png
16KB, 713x117px
gahhhh how the fuck do I do this?

the only way I can think of is to use CM frame and then transform the momentum back to lab

but if I use the lorentz transform there is a w term (where w is the CM photon speed) and idk how to get that

so I figured I could change the velocity addition fomula to one for momentum.. but that doesn't work, apparently
>>
>>8112509
14a (0--8*10^7 j/kg)*600kg=4.8*10^10 J

14b: GmM_A/(3r)^2 = GmM_B/(r)^2
M_A/M_B = 3^2
>>
So I'm doing thermodynamics homework. It's mostly easy but I'm stumped by one question.

Given CH3OH(g) + 1.5O2(g) > CO2(g) +2H2O(l) with enthalpy of -76.2

I have to find the weight of O2 if the enthalpy is 500.

What the fuck. O2 doesn't have a value for delta H. I have no idea what to do.
>>
File: gay.png (24KB, 625x341px) Image search: [Google]
gay.png
24KB, 625x341px
>>8113542
for clarity
>>
>>8113451
fucking.. photons move at the speed of light

I realised that but it doesn't help..
>>
What's the best order to learn math? to a college level starting from the high school curriculum? up to calculus 3 and related classes
>>
File: WP_20160531_003.jpg (299KB, 1632x918px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160531_003.jpg
299KB, 1632x918px
>>8113451

Conserve momentum and energy, you're overcomplicating this.

I checked those with a calculator and they work.
>>
>>8113673

4chan seems to have flipped my image, thank you hiroshima nagasaki.
>>
>>8113673
how do you get p = c(E1 - E2)?
I get cp = E1 - E2

and for me, p = 3.38x10^17

so I get the wrong answers.
I get B = 0.993 and y = 227/27

is that right?

and kinetic energy = mc^2 (y-1) is where I start
>>
File: triangleEquilateral.gif (4KB, 336x297px) Image search: [Google]
triangleEquilateral.gif
4KB, 336x297px
Is it true that if I horizontally cut a equilateral triangle in half (at 1/2 h) the new upper triangle will have exactly half the base of the old one?
In this case 1/2 a?
>>
>>8113737
yes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercept_theorem
>>
If a tank fills 5/6 of itself in one hour, how long will it take to be filled 100%? pls explain how you reach the answer
>>
ucsc.

Everyone who goes to Riverside or Merced ends up hating it.
>>
>>8111751
Was pic related on the exam?

cuz I have no idea how to interpret it
>>
Ok I just had like the most retarded question in admission exam, hope some of you guys can explain how this shit works?
it said: if you have a 4 digit number made out of 1,2,3,4 and 5 how many numbers can it be if it has to be divisible by 4?
>>
>>8113818
it's a condition on the last two digits.
12 works
14 doesn't (because whatever you put before, XY14 divided by 2 will be ABC7 and that won't be divisible by 2)
16 works
20, 24, 32, 44, 52 work as well. That corresponds to 7 possibilities for the last 2 digits.

you can choose any of the 5 numbers as your first two digits
>>
>>8113830
so 7*5*5 because if that's it, that's wrong the answer is 125
>>
>>8113835
I don't know how to count and I added 20 by inadvertance (0 is not in the list of digits)
12, 24, 31, 44, 52
5*5*5
>>
>>8113857
could you another example just to get the intuition?
>>
>>8113079
The Variational Principles of Mechanics by Lanczos. It pretty much says nothing but that kinetic energy and Riemannian manifolds can be related by the metric.
>>
Computer engineer major here who is transferring a university from a community college. How many classes should I take per semester? CC classes are 16 weeks while the university I am going to is only 10 weeks.
>>
>>8114263
6 or 7. If you take a lot of CS classes you could go up to 8 or 9.
>>
>>8114263
15 credits if you want to graduate on time. 12 credits minimum.
>>
When should I use relativistic formulae?

I'm reading "[math]K = 500MeV ~ mc^2 = 983MeV[/math] so we should use relativistic equations." in a solution but I don't understand.
>>
>>8114307
if you want 100% precision, always.
otherwise, calculate your needed precision, see if anything changes.
>>
File: Untitled.png (172KB, 1063x264px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
172KB, 1063x264px
>>8114328
Kill me it's everywhere
>>
>>8107726
Basically. By doing the simplification you have assumed the x != 0. So, when you do the simplification you have to remember that the new fraction is not valid when x = 0.
>>
>>8113102
>Soooo, do the operators commute?

That was the trick, thanks anon kun.
>>
>>8114372
anything bigger than 1 KeV is going to need relativity
>>
File: Capture.png (23KB, 494x181px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
23KB, 494x181px
I have got the volume of the barrel but I can't figure out how to find the surface area, can anyone help?
>>
>>8114456
Disks. Lots of them. Integrate from 0 to h.
>>
>>8114468
oh nvm that's volume hehe.
>>
File: IMG_20160531_234538897.jpg (1019KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160531_234538897.jpg
1019KB, 2592x1456px
How do I get a Thevenin equivalent resistance or voltage with between A and B using superposition? I know the method but I have no clue on where to start.
>>
>>8114372
ask yourself if you're dealing with relativistic particles. Photons are totally relativistic, so that's the only formula you have for momentum. Massive particles only when their speeds are a reasonable fraciton of the speed of light
>>
>>8114456
Do you have an equation defining the parabola or do you only have to explain how is it done?
>>
>>8114485
I have an equation for the parabola in terms of r1, r2 and h, so the surface area needs to also be in terms of them.
>>
>>8114489
Is this multiple variable or just one variable problem?
>>
>>8114493
Multi-variable
>>
>>8114498
Triple integrals then m8
>>
>>8114502
Please go on.
>>
>>8113644
Start with trig/precalc, then calc 1,2,3 then linear algebra and differential equations. That will catch you up with all lower div college courses.
Just check the sticky and download a pdf on some books, watch some lectures, do some exercise, and boom
>>
>>8110252
Disgusting. Get dirac or don't fucking bother.
>>
>>8114256
On conservative fields, you can relate the kinetic energy of a particle traveling through to the metric of the field, since the total energy is conserved, and the field changes the potential.
That is all. It's very useful for relativity.
>>
>>8114372
If traveling at >=1% of c is usually a good cutoff.
>>
File: Untitled.png (12KB, 704x201px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
12KB, 704x201px
What is the probability of getting 2 pairs in standard poker where you get 5 cards out of 52. This is my solution but textbook offers another one and I don't know why this aint right.

Also my teacher told us product rule and combinations rule is all we need to know in combinatorics for our probability problems. I am aware of permutations but I'm not sure and it would be more convenient to use it.
>>
>>8114493
Its actually a single variable as the parabola equation only depends on x.
>>
I have no clue how to do this...
V is the vector space of all 3x3 real upper triangular matrices. Can V be written as a direct sum of a subspace U1 in which all nonzero matrices are invertible, and a subspace U2 in which all matrices are not invertible?
>>
>>8114853
bumperino
>>
File: 20160601_134204.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160601_134204.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
How would you solve this?
It might be rotated, sorry.
>>
>>8114950
Instructions?
>>
>>8114853
You choose 2 pairs, so i assume, there are 48 cards left... so it's not (44 1) but i'm horrible in combinatorics.
>>
>>8114950
"Solve the following equation:"
>>
>>8114960
Meant for
>>8114952
>>
>>8114950
x=1
>>
>>8114928
By definition, any non-invertible upper triangular matrix has at least one 0 in the diagonal. If you can come up with a contradiction (proposing one matrix from U1 and U2 that can't sum to form a matrix in V) then it's quick.

Can you form the zero matrix in V with that though? Maybe not, because to do that you'd need to have at least one non-invertible matrix in U1, and that doesn't exist.
>>
>>8114916
What's all the data you are given?
>>
>>8107697
I am retarded, i can't figure out how the hell to calculate cache hit rate given the cache line size of 64 byte and main memory of 1MB
>>
>>8114963
Cube everything, expand the polynomials, group common terms, get all the possible roots for x, spit on teacher's forehead.
>>
>>8114982
0 is in U1 though (only the nonzero matrices in it are invertible). Makes it tougher...
>>
>>8114993
It's pure torture to solve that way
>>
>>8114993
or just try to equalize the terms under radicals and the terms outside the radicals and see that you trivially get x=1.
Then proceed to shit on your sheet of paper while you're still cubing your expressions.
>>
>>8115000
Of course, I didn't consider this. Damn, this is a bit harder than I thought.
>>
>>8115000
>>8114982
I'm thinking about this:
Take a matrix u2 from U2, it has a 0 in the diagonal, lets assume in the middle. There has to exist another one u2' in U2 with a 0 in the diagonal which isn't in the middle (otherwise V=/=U1=U1+U2). But if we add u2 and u2' we get that U2 isn't a vector space. Therefore it can't happen
>>
>>8115010
My algebra is weak, sorry senpai.
>>
>>8115015
Right, I forgot about that property.
>>
I am currently on vacation.

At 2 a.m. when I was falling asleep I suddenly realised why one method our group was trying to use was giving apparently meaningless or even impossible results. I immediately got up and spent the next nine hours mathematically working out the details (turns out I was right and the method as originally devised couldn't work) and devising a way of avoiding the problem. I've made a presentation and sent it off to all involved, and also offered to take part in our group meeting via Skype later this afternoon in case anything is unclear.

It's not even a project I am really working on, just one I've been asked to help with when their results seemed strange.

Is this unhealthy? I will probably go to sleep after the meeting and will have wasted two days.
>>
>>8115047
*will have wasted two days of my holiday
>>
>>8114957
I can't get any of the cards I already have pairs with because then I would have full house, thats why I chose 44.
>>
>reading /tv/ threads

how much longer until the superbug plague hits the world? I can't wait anymore.
>>
File: robot.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
robot.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
Why does the lunar landscape appear reddish brown in this photo?
>>
>>8115169
Bad lighting, notice how everything is properly lunar grey at the edges, where there isn't as much light, whereas in the center everything is kind of redshifted
>>
File: Boyle'sSelfFlowingFlask.png (59KB, 320x282px) Image search: [Google]
Boyle'sSelfFlowingFlask.png
59KB, 320x282px
>>8107697
please tell me why this wouldnt work
>>
I need to find out how much power do i need to counteract the effect of drag on my RC airship. I found drag equation on wiki but it says that this equation is only good for blunt objects and my airship is pretty aerodynamic.
>>
>>8115322
why would it?? the top part of the tube will just empty a bit and that will be it.
>>
>>8108504
Subjects for beta males
>>
>>8115338
would the pressure of the water in the cup not force more water round?
>>
>>8115399
Nope you forgot atmospheric pressure and bernoulli laws
maybe could work with mercury
with a little help the inertia could make it work for a short time
>>
>>8107697
>Why is slope-intercept form so popular
When X is your measure of time, it's useful to write the equation in the form (now)=(change/time)+(where it was when I turned it on). Since most people only apply slope equations to answer questions about change over time, it's what most people use.
>>
>>8107704
The least time consuming method of solving equations is generally done when y is considered a function of x
>>
What's the difference between x/y intercept and i/j intercept?
>>
>>8111701
>>8111736
Here's a metaphor for how philosophy works, in language /sci/ understands.
You know how in a word problem there's a process you have to go through to find the answer, but the actual answer is bullshit? Like it doesn't matter how many apples each person gets, or when the trains meet, but there's an underlying mathematical process that you can follow along with because it's couched in terms of this understandable situation?
To the individual student,Philosophy Great Works are word problems for non-mathematical techniques. What you're going to get out of it isn't the actual conclusions the philosophers reach, because that's the apples and trains part of the book. What you can get out of it (and what a good secondary source will flesh out with some biographic background) is the general process that the philosopher used to get from where they started to where they ended, and then apply that process to where you're starting now.
>>
>>8111775
When the thing we're talking about is your brain, a bunch of little things is a bigger emergency than one big thing.
>>
>>8113017
No.
For starters, we're not getting FTL because physics. To answer the more reasonable question about going really fast:
I ran the numbers once, and if you assume a ship that can hold 18 people, 100% burn efficiency, 100% conversion efficiency 0% friction, no gravity effect, and not trying to stop when you get there just flying past, then the amount of energy it takes to get that ship to alpha centauri is enough energy to power the world energy consumption of 2015 for three years straight. A fuel that contains that much juice and has the same mass as what we put in a space shuttle would be straight up magic.
>>
>>8115047
Do you care personally about those people, do you care professionally about their project, or do you think you'll get a reward when you get back?
Did you enjoy doing the work in a hobbyist way?
If no to all the above, then yes, if yes to any of the above, then no.
>>
>>8115485
Without any context given then I can only tell you that they simply named the axis's differently.
>>
Immigrant to the US but have been living here (Florida) for 2 years so I apply for "resident" fees.

Q: Is going into "student debt" advisable?

I'd like to fund my own studies but it's hard to find a job that pays well enough without "experience" or a need for certifications. Currently in a Community College because after 2 years, I'm guaranteed admission to any state University.

Currently going for AS in Networking Systems and I would love to study Computer Engineering
>>
>>8115583
>I'd like to fund my own studies
it sounds like you have other options, what are they?
>>
>>8115616

Work for a few years with my AS ($40k-$60k/yr) and come back to school later on.

Or get my parents to help me pay tuition(we all immigrated together). But South Florida is way too expensive, and I know an unreasonable amount of income is going into housing simply because of how expensive this area is.

The latter wouldn't even cover all expenses (roughly in the low-$20,000s per year), which is why I wanted to know first hand accounts to see if Student Loans were worth it.
>>
>>8115583
>Immigrant to the US
You have to go back
>>
>>8115645
idk, do you prefer borrowing from a bank or from your parents...
>>
>>8115646
I just want to help Make America Great Again™.
>>
>>8115047
Back from the meeting and the nap that followed.

>>8115507
>Do you care personally about those people
They're decent colleagues but not in particular.

>do you care professionally about their project
Not really beyond the fact I'm getting my name on the paper.

>do you think you'll get a reward when you get back?
None except maybe a degree recognition.

>Did you enjoy doing the work in a hobbyist way?
Not so much.

I do tremendously enjoy the fact that what ended up burying their method is the same issue which I have intuitively picked up on when they first discussed their approach back in January. Back then the PI ended up dismissing the nit I've picked as "probably not a major problem".

Several months later they've asked me for help since they couldn't make sense of the results, and now it turns out I was right all along and they wouldn't have wasted £12,000 if they had listened to me back then.

(I guess it's not a complete waste since a less powerful method still works, but that could have been done for less than half the price)
>>
>>8115654
Well, It's not like they have the money to pay it all for me... By the looks of it, I'm assuming they can do a 50:50 (best case scenario). Which, I guess is doable.

Assuming the worst ("Sorry buddy, can't help you past Community College"), I wanted to know if borrowing from a bank was a 'sane' thing to do, or if I should stay away from it as much as I can.
>>
>>8115664
*a degree of recognition
>>
>>8115666
stay away as much as you can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8pjd1QEA0c
>>
>>8114984
I have the equation of the parabola as ((r1-r2)(h-2x)^2)/h^2 + r2
>>
>>8107697
Why the fuck does:
x^1 mod 10 = x ^ 5 mod 10 = x^9 mod 10 = x^13 mod 10 = x^(4y + 1) mod 10
for any y?

Also:
x^2 mod 100 = x^22 mod 100 = x^42 mod 100 = x^62 mod 100 = x^(20y + 2) mod 100
for any y?
>>
How do I write equations on this board?
>>
File: joseflatex.png (243KB, 3600x1300px) Image search: [Google]
joseflatex.png
243KB, 3600x1300px
>>8115845
>>
>>8115870
Thanks.
>>
>>8115843
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermat's_little_theorem#Generalizations

phi(10)=4 and phi(100)=20
>>
>>8115843
for the first one, fermat's little theorem applied to p=5 yields that for all a, a^5 = a mod5, in other words there exists a k such as a^5 = a + 5k.

since a and a^5 have the same parity (both even or both odd), and 2 doesn't divide 5, k has to be even.
So in fact you can write a^5 = a + 10*k', with k = 2k'.
therefore for all a, a^5 = a mod 10
(this is amazing, I had never thought of this before)

You should be able to do something similar for the second one I think, I will try.
>>
>>8115902
well I had forgotten about that one, I feel retarded now for posting this >>8115919
>>
>>8115322
Nope, eventually it would fall into an equilibrium where the two liquid levels are the same.
>>
>>8115902
>>8115919
Thanks. That's some number magic.
>>
>>8115902
Wait. Isn't phi(100) = 40?
>>
How's UCSC's electrical engineering program?
>>
>>8115956
yes, my mistake
>>
>>8115956
wait the whole thing doesn't work, it only works for numbers that are coprime with the modulus

or does it work with a little twist?
>>
>>8115974
Then how does [math]x^{20y + 2} mod 100[/math] work then?
>>
I got arrested last night for trying to buy drugs, but was my first offense and I'm white so they let me off with a warning after taking me to the station, anyway is this going to go on my record? Will my workplace find out? They have a very strict no drugs policy.
>>
>>8115981
I'm not sure. I'm just messing with excel tables
Also works for the following:

[math]x^{4y+2} \mod 5[/math]
[math]x^{6y+2} \mod 7[/math]
[math]x^{2y+3} \mod 8/math]
[math]x^{6y+2} \mod 9[/math]
[math]x^{4y+2} \mod 10[/math]
>>
>>8115712
If you can "translate" it to an xy coordinate function then it should be easy.
>>
File: fuark.jpg (57KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
fuark.jpg
57KB, 1152x648px
I really am having a hard to wrapping my head around integral tables. I need help with pic related problem; I can't see to get to the end answer.

I don't get WHAT I'm supposed to be doing

Top is question asked to be evaluated, bottom is the integration forumla
>>
>>8116243
Do they give you any bounds to evaluate? What class is this for? Can you just write substitutions in the given formula?
>>
>>8116277
No bounds, just evaluate the integral using tables.
What do you mean substitutions? like doing u=x, du=dx? If so, then yes

This is for business calculus. Yes I know I am a retarded.
>>
>>8116282
Yeah that sounds right then.
>>
>>8116287
...yes and I do not know how to do the substitution so any help would be great
>>
How do I find the integral of this function?
>>
File: yes.png (7KB, 819x322px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
7KB, 819x322px
>>8116299
*this function
>>
What is the easiest way to show that [math] A \overset{1_A}{\rightarrow} A [/math] is an isomorphism?
>>
>>8116243
whats the answer for this problem?
>>
>>8116243
>>8116243
>>8116243
>>8116243
Can anyone help?
>>
>>8116325
If you're using tables to solve integrals, (for this problem) you pretty much just have to substitute the x for the u. The 4 instead of the a, and the 6 instead of the b.
>>
I'm looking at doing optics in grad school.

Anyone know some decent optics programs outside of Rocjester, Central Florida, and the other big name schools like MIT, CT, etc...?
>>
File: 4312412312.jpg (72KB, 1557x240px) Image search: [Google]
4312412312.jpg
72KB, 1557x240px
>>8116331
I try that but I get an answer nowhere even near the answer key.
>>
>>8116343
lel hold up, i got the same answer. Don't know about these integral tables. I'll upload it in a sec
>>
How do I tell if the pain in my inner thigh is a deep vein thrombosis?

Srs.
>>
File: lel.png (46KB, 653x1172px) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
46KB, 653x1172px
>>8116343
>>8116384
alright, here it is.

excuse the sloppy handwriting. I did it kinda fast and my hand is twitchy from teh caffeine lol
>>
>>8116397
errr, i just noticed I made an error with the ln part.

dang, I'll let you figure that one out. You can still do it, but you have to take care of that before doing u sub I think.
>>
>>8110031
need to know the angle at which they collide too.
>>
Why is Antarctica at the bottom of the planet and not, say, anywhere else in the southern hemisphere?
>>
>>8116442
Because ice is more dense than seawater, so it sinks.
>>
Thermodynamics is infuriating.

Two problems are giving me problems.

One is to find the temperature range at which the reaction is spontaneous. But I'm not given any values for H or S. I could look up the properties in my textbook but those are for 298K. So a different temperature would have different values for H and S.

Right? Or am I just being a retard?

All I'm given is the reaction.
>>
>>8116397
wait am I retarded...how did you cancel 6 on the top and get 36u on the bottom of the 3rd step?
>>
>>8116442
Because of the earth's tilt, the poles have more extreme winters, so it is natural that that is where the ice accumulates.
>>
>>8109037
Yes
>>
>>8110004
>Same wavelength but different energy
E=hf=hc/λ
Same wavelength means same energy
>>
>>8116465
because on the top your squaring what x is x = (u -4)/6

when you square it you get the fraction, but you'r diving by u, so you bring up the u on teh denominator with 36, then you take out the 36....
>>
>>8116471
But Antarctica is not comprised solely of ice...
>>
>>8116553
Ooo, surprise plot twist...
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-01-14-18-39.png (69KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-01-14-18-39.png
69KB, 480x854px
If the temperature is 21°C and the humidity is 50%, then what does the temperature actually feel like.

Please do the calculation for me here. I don't know how to figure this out. This is the weather outside, but it's fucking hot, feels much hotter than 21°C. I got sunburnt yesterday.
>>
>>8116300
not sure but it looks like the dirac-delta function so you could star there
>>
>>8116433
Say 45 to make it simple.
Dealer's choice for any other variables if there are any.
Trying to just get a simple idea of what happens.

Formulas would be fantastic.
>>
>>8116676
>If the temperature is 21°C and the humidity is 50%, then what does the temperature actually feel like.
21°C

Heat index isn't even a thing in the 20s, that is comfort weather...
>>
File: Untitled.png (10KB, 1131x591px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 1131x591px
I have to make a report about random walks with different distributions. My conclusion is, that the more evenly the particle spreads over the (2D) space the better the distribution is (pic related - A is better than B).

How can I measure the evenness mathematically given a set of points/particle positions?
>>
Is human contribution to climate change real or do scientists just agree to keep to rioting arts students elsewhere?
>>
>>8116312
Proof: Obvious.
>>
How do chemical impurities and defects of the crystal lattice influence the properties of
semiconductors?

Halp
>>
I have to find the enclosed area between the curves y^2 = 4x and y = 2x-4, but my working to find the bounds of the integration has this result:

Equation a: y^2=4x y=2x^0.5
Equation b: y=2x-4

2x^0.5 = 2x-4
2x-2x^0.5-4 = 0
(2x^0.5+2)(x^0.5-2) = 0
x = i, sqrt2

I just can't see the error.
>>
File: Eddie Murphy.jpg (643KB, 1946x1146px) Image search: [Google]
Eddie Murphy.jpg
643KB, 1946x1146px
>>8117252
you went wrong by taking only the positive square root of (4x). y could be equal to 2x^0.5 or to -2x^0.5
I suggest instead of taking square roots, plugging in the second equation in the first.

y^2 = 4x
(2x-4)^2 = 4x
4x^2 - 16x + 16 = 4x
x^2 - 5x + 4 = 0
(x-4)(x-1)=0

I also advise integrating with respect to y rather than with respect to x, or you'll have to split the first equation in half to deal with the two halves of the parabola separately.
>>
>>8107731
Take your pedophile cartoons back to >>>/a/.
Degenerate fucking weeaboo. You don't belong here.
>>
>>8116300
It's zero.

If you need some proof, consider the family of functions
f[e](x)
= 1 if 1<=x<1+e
= 0 otherwise
(i.e. a pulse of amplitude 1 and width e).

The antiderivative (indefinite integral) of f[e](x) is
F[e](x)
= 0 if x<1
= x-1 if 1<=x<1+e
= e if x>1+e
(i.e. a ramp which goes from (1,0) to (1+e,e) with a slope of 1).

The definite integral of f[e](x) from -infinity (or any value less than 1) to +infinity (or any value greater than 1+e) is e.

Your f(x) is the limit of f[e](x) as e->0. The limit of the antiderivative as e->0 is F(x)=0, and its definite integral (over any range) is zero.

>>8116681
The delta functions have amplitude inversely proportional to width, so the ramp goes from (0,0) to (e,1) (i.e. the limit of the integral is 1 regardless of the width).
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.