[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the most reputable engineering schools? Pic related.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 47

What are the most reputable engineering schools? Pic related.
>>
>>8105134
Well I know that Jim's whorehouse in downtown Denver can teach you the best skills an engineer can have, cock sucking and taking it up the ass.
>>
>>8105136
>Butthurt mathfag detected

I'm sure your knowledge of theoretical nth dimensional geometric spaces has made you incredibly marketable. How do you turndown all those job offers?
>>
MIT Stanford Caltech?
>>
>>8105153
Jews, chinks, and poo-in-loos.
>>
File: Michiganengineeringlogo.jpg (6KB, 250x58px) Image search: [Google]
Michiganengineeringlogo.jpg
6KB, 250x58px
>>8105134
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
>>
>>8105220
>>8105134
How hard is it to transfer to a top tier public engineering school from out of state?
>>
Illinois, purdue, michigan, Georgia tech
>>
>>8105134
I've worked with a few EEs who graduated from GA Tech, and they've all been exceptionally well educated. They all have really strong fundamentals, and it seems like they've all focused on one very specific, very useful skillset. FPGAs, power electronics, and instrumentation to be more specific. I have a lot of respect for that program.

Plus, none of them had any student debt because they all went to Georgia high schools.
>>
File: download.jpg (13KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13KB, 190x265px
Top ranked engineering school. Tied with Duke and top 10 in Nuclear.
>>
Berkeley
>>
>>8105134
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology is pretty good from what I hear. Too bad it's a total sausagefest.
>>
NC state
>>
>>8105136
I'd like fries with that
>>
>>8105195
>Brainlet detected
>>8105153
I'd choose Caltech for graduate studies though
>>
File: MITadmit.png (77KB, 616x754px) Image search: [Google]
MITadmit.png
77KB, 616x754px
kek @ MIT Reject schools
>>
>>8107768
They didn't even highlight all the important things in my MIT reject acceptance letter what the fuck
>>
>>8107768
Jesus that's fruity.
>>
>>8108715
i just used the You got in as a keyword when searching through my email and forgot to unhighlight the word
>>
>>8108876
It made your letter look like they have to highlight the details for kids with bad reading comprehension
>>
>>8108890
this wasnt the actual acceptance, this was emailed like a day after to give confirmation and details, there was a lot more formal one when the decision first were announced (I was regular action)
>>
>>8107768
>emojis
>fifthally
>special email address!
>our delivery owls
>glorious
>awesome you!
>all your new friends
>with love

Fucking hell man, is this an acceptance letter for a university or for a underground gay orgy club.

>inb4 butthurt MIT reject

I don't give two shits about MIT. Engineering is dumb, mathematics is the way of life. I am just posting here because that email looks really fucking dumb.
>>
File: asu.png (38KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
asu.png
38KB, 300x300px
Arizona State University

EE Master race reporting in
>>
File: download.png (8KB, 249x202px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
8KB, 249x202px
Save me from this shithole
>>
>>8105134
If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.
>>
>>8108901
its the quirky culture of the school mann and course 18 at MIT is one of the best mathematics programs in the world
>>
File: 1464322031892.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1464322031892.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>8107768
>using Facebook groups for everything and every aspect of life
When will this fucking nightmare end?
>>
>>8108927
>quirky

That's an interesting word.

When women call themselves quirky. DROPPED. Out of my face you fucking autist.

So if a university's culture is also quirky then I think it is absolute shit.

Quirky is such a shitty word, we need better words.
>>
>>8108924
Because that's the place to get math advice from liberal arts majors!
>>
What should I expect from one of the reputable engineering schools?
>>
>>8108956
Theres a part of campus here that is most definitely "Quirky" (east campus) the rest of the school is just awkward/normal people who are smart
>>
>>8108962
Why would you just assume that /adv/ is entirely liberal arts students? Your post doesn't belong here. Go to college confidential or something.
>>
Anyone here have any experience with Ohio State University? How is it's engineering program?
>>
Purdue
UMich
Stanford
Illinois
NC State
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Texas A&M
Cal - Berkeley
Cal Tech
>>
File: CbwuGJFWIAAos2_.jpg (132KB, 1024x732px) Image search: [Google]
CbwuGJFWIAAos2_.jpg
132KB, 1024x732px
>>8105134
>A and M
>reputatble
>>
File: obama-consternation-1.jpg (327KB, 1679x1124px) Image search: [Google]
obama-consternation-1.jpg
327KB, 1679x1124px
>>8109956
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/texas-am-university-college-station-look-02174
>>
>>8109769
Going to Med school so doesn't matter where I go anyways
>>
File: university_of_cambridge.jpg (64KB, 364x225px) Image search: [Google]
university_of_cambridge.jpg
64KB, 364x225px
>ctrl+f cambridge
>0

/sci/ I thought you were supposed to be intelligent?
>>
>>8110145
If you like being deep in debt sure
>>
File: 1463725782190.png (110KB, 522x629px) Image search: [Google]
1463725782190.png
110KB, 522x629px
i honestly don't know why this place is so reputable though
>>
File: download (3).jpg (14KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
14KB, 280x180px
Although only ranked 9 in top engineering for aerospace, the campus is nice and the experience was unlike anything I could have imagined.
>>
>>8108956
>>8108984

If there's any reason to hate MIT its because they're very, very blatant with affirmative action, which is a big no-no for something that bills itself as an institute of technology.

Because of this its getting flooded with casuals there that creates the OmG We'ERE so NERDY xD XD culture there if anything.
>>
>>8109115
I am not OP. How likely is it STEM majors are hanging out in /adv/ instead of /sci/? Your advice is unsound.
>>
>>8107768
Congratulations, you're black or 1/64th feathernigger!
>>
>>8110255
>go to college confidential or something
This means go away
>>
>>8110150
it's 10x cheaper than any of the Ivies. Also all the PhDs are funded
>>
>>8107614
I got accepted there but they didnt accept any of my associates degree credits. Two extra years of school wasn't worth it.
>>
>>8109769
>Cal - Berkeley
>Cal Tech
It's UC Berkeley or Cal, fuckwit. It's also Caltech.
>>
File: tamu_proposed_seal_042915[1].jpg (37KB, 400x396px) Image search: [Google]
tamu_proposed_seal_042915[1].jpg
37KB, 400x396px
>>8105134
RIP the good seal
>>
>>8108927
>quirky culture
>implying it's anything more than just a bunch of high pressure kids gushing about how "nerdy we are lol. Being a nerd is totally awesome! xD"
>>
PORTLAND STATE GO VIKINGS WOO
>>
>>8110932
>mfw I went there for my first time going to college
>Mfw I was a music major
After a year I was done, and music was ruined for me. Their curriculum is 10 kinds of fucked up.
>>
>>8110975
Yeah, I noticed their 40% graduation rate when I applied.

Beggars can't be choosers.
>>
>>8110983
With an 85 percent acceptance rate, you're a shoe in. The campus is neat because it's downtown, but it's shit for the same reason. Portland is awful. Only beaten out by Eugene and Ashland.
>>
>>8110975
Story time
>>
>>8110993
The public transit and low tuition sold it for me. Just hoping the engineering dept is insulated from the suck.
>>
>>8110994
>18
>apply to multiple colleges for music, because I'm lazy and wanted to go with something I'm good at
>Get scholarships to decent music schools
>Chapman University
>Pacific Lutheran
>University of Oregon
>Portland State
>choose PSU because its close to home, cheapest, and my tuba teacher was a professor there
>regret it from day one
>shitty music staff
>Making music an academic subject was a mistake on my part
>stupid humanities requirements for all majors
>have a 'Human nature' class taught by a Bernie Sanders-esque jew
>Mentions his physical ailments somewhat regularly
>Class is full of hipsters and feminists
>talk about privilege
>war is bad
>etc
>Take a welding class and drop out
>join the army
>have fun
>Now going back to school in the fall for bio/premed at Oregon State
Advising staff was shit. I met with an advisor maybe once, for about 15 minutes. Then my advisor never saw me again.
The faculty there is mediocre at best. My German prof was fantastic though
>Yale grad
>Former Yale professor
He was the best teacher at that school.
>>
>>8111016
Yay. I can't wait.
>>
>>8105144
Because applied math isn't a field that gets jobs without having to take it up the ass.
>>
>>8110721
>>8105134
>ATM

>Ass To Mouth

Nice meme university lads
>>
>>8107768

Its this based in part on a real admission letter? I know MIT can be cringe as hell so I would believe it.
>>
>>8107768

>(you)

holy shit
>>
>>8110145
>caring about "universities" outside the US
>>
>>8105134
>caring about your engineering school reputation
All that matters is industry links. Research power jack-offs aren't going to help you find a job.
>>
>>8110263
All PhD programs that are reputable are full funded e.g. Princeton, Columbia etc.
>>
>>8112943
>All that matters is industry links
and why do you think companies have certain reputations of some schools, and why do they specifically recruit at the schools that they do?
>>
>>8110254
>If there's any reason to hate MIT its because they're very, very blatant with affirmative action

immediately makes me think of the dumb half-black girl I knew who went there.
>>
>>8112960
Affirmative action will be going back to the Supreme Court for re-evaluation soon after a white girl sued some university after it rejected her on ostensibly racial grounds.

The supreme court said it would hear the case, but these things move through the legal system slowly.
>>
>>8112947
Most companies just recruit from the local school.
>>
>>8112974
that is not true at all
theres heavy industry recruitment at:

purdue
penn state
michigan
virginia tech
MIT
caltech

to name a few
>>
>>8112989
And they also recruit at local schools because they can mould the course to suit their needs more easily.
>>
>>8112989

I know that this must be true because Purdue is in the middle of fucking nowhere. Why would anyone want to be there is beyond me.
>>
>>8113006
lel you cant change accredited curriculum
they may talk to professors and suggest spending some time on certain specific stuff, but accredidation boards are fucking strict cunts. we had to submit all of our graded homework and quizzes and shit for our senior design project for review to make sure everything was gucci with ABET
>>8113015
yeah but you got indy pretty close
but their career fairs are loaded with recruiters from like 300+ companies twice a year plus smaller career fairs. and then national lab day
>>
>>8113022
a major civil employer told me they recruit from a local no-name school because they teach modules that suit their interests.
>>
>>8113015
I go to Purdue. Pretty boring desu senpai
>>
>>8110254
It's very clear you haven't spent any time at MIT. Half the students don't care about MIT culture and are just there for a degree. The other half aren't faking their autism, and they've been this way for decades. From what I've seen, the underqualified minorities mostly fall in the first group; they just get worse grades and need more help from everyone else.

No one acts like fake nerds except the admissions office and the applicants who comment on all their blog posts trying to imitate them.
>>
>>8114034
Hey I'm black and got into MIT. Was I underqualified?

Here are my stats:
ACT score: 35
Math Level 2: 800
Chemistry: 780
4.0 GPA, many extracurriculars that I am truly passionate about. I did attend a program for minorities unrepresented in engineering at MIT though.

Am I just one of the so-called "underqualified minorities" you speak of?
>>
>>8114075
>Hey I'm black
Yes.
>>
>>8105239

The University of Michigan is retarded expensive
>>
>>8105134
Not pic related that's for sure.
>>
>>8108914
CE at ASU here, started as EE and realized I didn't hate myself THAT much.
>>
>>8113015
>Purdue

Really close to Chicago? Not really in the middle of nowhere?
>>
Caltech, Berkeley, ETH, TU Delft, TU Darmstadt, MIT, IPN.
>>
>>8105220
>Spending hundreds of thousands on the North Campus diag for the slight hope it will attract more people to come up.

lol
>>
>>8114075
Another reason affirmation action is bad.

It devalues the merits of minorities who would have been accepted regardless.
>>
>>8114302
>best nuclear engineering program in the country
their school is dope they dont need extra coercion
>>
>>8114308
Man, the school doesn't give a shit about the engineers, I have no idea why we're ranked so high.

Probably on due to the fact our Profs. get a shitton of NSF grants.
>>
>>8105144
>engineering
>in demand
>>
>>8114310
Yeah. Engineering is a weird thing in UoM. It is a prestigious school to go to, but is treated like shit. Still, the education there is amazing.
>>
File: naylakidd-columbiauni.png (307KB, 477x307px) Image search: [Google]
naylakidd-columbiauni.png
307KB, 477x307px
tfw when someone that looks like this goes to an ivy league and you went to some shitty uni
>>
Who /Stanford/ here?
>>
>>8114075
>Was I underqualified?

Do you really want to know?

Ask yourself honestly: if you weren't a non Asian minority, would you still have gotten in?

The answer is no. If you somehow think yes, you're suffering from MIT affirmative action admit special snowflake syndrome.

You probably think your stats are impressive. But here's the raw truth senpai: your stats are a dime a dozen. Really. You really didn't do anything in particular to deserve being there.

Even if, hypothetically, you directly ask the admissions office or anyone around you whether you were just admitted due to affirmative action or not to disprove my claim, they'll just say no no, you have imposter syndrome, you are special, etc.

Everyone you see each day has probably constructed a bubble around you. It's the same exact bubble that carried you in. You're more useful to them if you believe you got there by your own merit after all...

So realize this: you should be more grateful than you are arrogant.
>>
File: TH Ohm Logo.png (27KB, 2849x436px) Image search: [Google]
TH Ohm Logo.png
27KB, 2849x436px
never posted in one of these threads. hi there
>>
>>8114075
Only 780?
>>
>>8110225
I only applied because of 2001 a Space Odyssey
>>
File: TFDL_1.jpg (54KB, 550x356px) Image search: [Google]
TFDL_1.jpg
54KB, 550x356px
University of Calgary

>32 000 people
>good engineering school
>good business school
>somewhat notable quantum research dept
>decent comp sci
>nice campus but CAF in the winter
>almost every building is connected in +15 so you can walk around whole campus without going outside
>more girls than dudes, ez to fuggg
>>
What does /sci/ think of Embry Riddle? I'm considering applying there for a degree in aeronautical engineering. From what I hear they have a good engineering program.
>>
>>8114538
Ok, I will admit that my stats are pretty much the same as anyone else who was seriously considered for admission, but there was little possibility of me doing any better than I did.

I fully recognize what you're trying to say and how you're trying to be as inoffensive as possible, but I could potentially be anyone with that information. You don't think that a single non-Asian minority belongs at the school despite their merits? Even if they're not that special, do they not meet the qualifications of the school considering that most of the people admitted have lower stats? Even if so, these populations make up a significantly lower population of the school than they do of the applicant pool and the United States

I'm not trying to be arrogant. I do still feel grateful because I don't feel so entitled to admission. I know I've gotten a good amount of help, but I still feel that it's unfair to pass that judgement and isolate on people who are minorities despite their merits
>>
>>8115014
>You don't think that a single non-Asian minority belongs at the school despite their merits?

What merits?

Non-Asian minority admits have a lot of "merit" until you put them next to, say, an Asian admit. You know, the USAMO qualifier, IMO medalist types.

The thing about affirmative action is that its a system that it redefines "merit" by making it purely relative to your race. But of course this isn't how merit really works in the real world.

Its why non-Asian minority students in MIT get slammed into the ground by the rest of campus - academically and otherwise. Because at the end of the day, no amount of prestige will be able to compensate for a person's lack of ability to compete with people who are judged and filtered through a much harsher standard.

>do they not meet the qualifications of the school considering that most of the people admitted have lower stats

You are not being compared with the average of the whole applicant pool, as would be done in a meritocratic system. Because of affirmative action, you are compared to members of your race.

35 ACT is far more than enough to be impressive... for a black guy. On the other hand 36 gets a mere glance for an Asian guy.

Congrats man, you are more than "qualified". I put that in quotes, because "qualifications" have really become a joke these days.
>>
>>8114075
Background:
Middle Eastern

SAT 2210
Math Level 2 790 (haven't done imaginary/matrices/etc. for 2 years)
Biology 780
40/42 IB (convert it urself amerifags)
Started school wide recycling program. Even got scholarship to visit a country for it.

Deferred Early then ultimately Rejected. Even from all the other top notch ones I did.
'Going to SkidmarkU in Montreal now (which I applied for April 2) instead of Baruch to not be broke + only 3 years.

You made it into a good school. Probably from affirmative. Probably from essays. I know for a fact my essays sucked dick since I wrote it in the same tone it works here in Muhammad-land.

I know white people with shittier scores than you than that got accepted. You might not be under-qualified. Maybe you are. Who the fuck knows.

Enjoy that <10k$ tuition bb.
>>
>>8108919
What's wrong with MS&T?

I'm enrolled with them for next year
>>
>>8114075
I have a few thoughts.

Economics professor and social theorist Thomas Sowell of Stanford University has researched this issue with data-intensive analyses.

The primary conclusion is that the real reason to oppose affirmative action is that it in fact hurts minorities. Affirmative action leads to minorities being admitted to schools to which they are underqualified, which results in a higher incidence of dropping out from university. Obviously, having a larger share of minorities complete a college education is the better option.

There is also the psychological side. I imagine it does not feel good to question if you're where you are in life not due to your own merits, but due to racial preferentiality. And what must it do to the collective minority self-image if they are part of a group that "needs to be given a racial preference" to be "equal"?

The work of Thomas Sowell was a primary influence on Ward Connerly, the (also black) regent of the University of California who spearheaded the repeal of race-based preferences in both the UC system and state hiring. And indeed, since its repeal 20 years ago, the graduation rate of under-represented minorities has skyrocketed in California.

tl;dr while the intent of affirmative action is to help minorities, hard data indicates that it does the opposite.

PS: I imagine that, as an african-american, it must be rather disheartening to always hear this stuff on 4chan about blacks having lower IQ. The following is relevant: "In Intellectuals and Race, Sowell argues that IQ gaps are hardly startling or unusual between, or within, ethnic groups. He notes that the roughly 15-point gap in contemporary black–white IQ scores is similar to that between the national average and the scores of certain ethnic white groups in years past, in periods when the nation was absorbing new immigrants."
>>
File: historic_emblem_optimized.png (173KB, 1208x1208px) Image search: [Google]
historic_emblem_optimized.png
173KB, 1208x1208px
What do you guys think of Missouri Science and Technology?
>>
>>8115394
Very insightful. I agree. I was addressing the sentiment that implies that minorities are always substantially underqualified for the schools that they attend, which is not always the case.

Also, regarding the IQ stuff, I believe that socioeconomic status has more of an effect on IQ than most people think. Groups that are generally poorer have been shown to have lower IQs, like, for example, the penniless white immigrants of the past.
>>
>>8105134
Delft University of Technology
>>
>>8114614
Lmfao U calgary is ranked like 400th globally. I almost went there and still have night sweats worrying about how close I was to throwing away my future.
>>
>>8108919
Anon, what's wrong?

Story?
>>
>>8114614
>>8115462
no uni in canada is worth going to unless it's Waterloo/UofT/McGill/UBC
>>
>>8115468
Mate, I'm at Newcastle. Going to Sinners tonight in fact.
>>
>>8110059

But you still have to spend years of your life at college station, so no thanks.
>>
>>8115451
>not always the case.

95+% of the time, it is the case.

>Groups that are generally poorer have been shown to have lower IQs, like, for example, the penniless white immigrants of the past.

You're mixing the cause and effect. Being poor doesn't make you stupid as much as being stupid makes you poor.

It's why countries like Singapore went from abandoned third world shithole to first world in a matter of decades. And why Africa is and will always be a shithole.
>>
>>8115613
There was the very clear example of "the roughly 15-point gap in contemporary black–white IQ scores [being] similar to that between the national average and the scores of certain ethnic white groups in years past, in periods when the nation was absorbing new immigrants."

Blacks are by large not culturally integrated, predominantly, it seems to me, due to black culture itself. Another aspect of this is the terrible quality of the public schools that most blacks attend compared to the average education-quality for whites, no doubt due itself to a cultural feedback loop.

I bet that if we live long enough to see cultural integration, we will also see the IQ gap narrow substantially.

As for your Singapore vs Africa example, you neglect the crucial cultural component that I emphasize, and which hard data shows affects IQ.

I do not propound a different IQ discrepancy or non-discrepancy, but rather that this confounding variable is so huge as to render the effective causal aspect of the established correlation moot.
>>
(>>8115651)
>>8115613
Furthermore, your Singapore example invalidates your own point. The average IQ in Singapore is 108, despite it being not racially or ethnically distinct in any way. The reason can only be the confounding factor of culture and its feedback loop with, among other things, the quality of and emphasis upon education.
>>
>>8115651
>There was the very clear example of "the roughly 15-point gap in contemporary black–white IQ scores [being] similar to that between the national average and the scores of certain ethnic white groups in years past, in periods when the nation was absorbing new immigrants."

Blacks aren't new to this country yet the gap still persists. Cultural integration? In anyone's lifetime? Don't push your luck...

>you neglect the crucial cultural component that I emphasize, and which hard data shows affects IQ.

Black culture is universally a culture of ignorance, which suits their lower average IQ. It's really a race thing.

>confounding variable is so huge as to render the effective causal aspect of the established correlation moot.

Its only confounding to those who try to fudge data to fit their SJW agenda. In other words, 99% of social scientists where you get your data from.

>The average IQ in Singapore is 108

Because its racially and ethnically distinct from black people.
>>
File: 1461797985514.png (642KB, 480x516px) Image search: [Google]
1461797985514.png
642KB, 480x516px
>>8115682

> Blacks aren't new to this country yet the gap still persists. Cultural integration? In anyone's lifetime? Don't push your luck...

Not that anon but just because the gap still exists does not mean no progress has been made. As a matter of fact if it were true that blacks had not been making progress the gap would be much bigger.

Unless now you are posing the possibility that Whites themselves have made no progress and attributes connected to events such as the flynn effect is wrong.

> Black culture is universally a culture of ignorance, which suits their lower average IQ. It's really a race thing.

Black culture is in effect a reactionary movement influence squarely by the absence of consistent African culture and the ever changing nature of American culture. To call it a "culture of ignorance" is ignorance itself since it neglects the logistical nature of how cultures function in long spans of time.
>>
>>8115737
meanwhile the only uniquely American culture is black culture
>>
>>8115928

Well there's native american culture too but that's more pre-america than post.
>>
>>8115675
>>8115682
>>8115737
How the fuck did an engineering school thread turn into another IQ circlejerk?
>>
>>8116253
Because /sci/.
>>
>>8116253

Started with >>8114034 highlighting minorities in MIT being "under qualified" than it progressed from then on.
>>
>engineers

kek
>>
>>8115737
>neglects the logistical nature of how cultures function in long spans of time

https://youtu.be/A0C4_88ub_M?t=1h12m56s
>>
>>8116253
I love circle jerks!
>>
>>8114075
who cares, get your degree and you will have a better education than everyone else

America is a system and should be worked as one.
>>
>>8115468
I don't want to become a heroin addict tho
>>
>>8116422

>posting the scene of the asian guy who literally ignores (or doesn't know) the concept behind diffusion of innovations and how technology by foreign occupiers doesn't always get adopted by the natives due to inadequacies of communication channels within the social structures between the two parties.
>>
University of Houston has the best geology programs
>>
>>8115518
There's literally no food options here fucking kill me

Just 50 bars in the one town where the degenerates get shitfaced and whore
>>
>>8115274
>being this buttmad

confirmed buttblasted gook
>>
>>8115303
that SAT is shit lol. Other stats are mediocre too.

You're not that impressive, half of the losers in my AP classes in highschool had grades like that and ended up going to the state schools.
>>
>>8116716
you mean kingdom of dust?

that's a favorite of mine
>>
>>8115303
IB marks in Canada are inflated AF
>>
UofT is pretty good desu
Top 10 - 20 ish in world for CS/CE, still easy as fuck to get in.
Toronto's a good city.
>>
>>8116716
>inadequacies of communication channels within the social structures between the two parties.

So either whites can't communicate or blacks can't listen. The latter is more likely.
>>
>>8117181
Yet natives of other lands can easily adopt foreign technology. Even contribute to it in some cases.

We can come up with buzzwords describing all sorts of different phenomena explaining why Africa isn't developed all day. Social structures, communications channels, cultural integration, discrimination... the list goes on.

But none of that will ever change the fact that blacks simply universally achieve less. That the reason for black inadequacy (unless we're talking the NBA) is much, much simpler than you suggest.

So please continue to rationalize black inadequacy by formulating more and more convoluted excuses that will eventually end up going back to enable said inadequacy. You might just earn the title of "Uncle Tom" from your people if you haven't already with that kind of language.

The Asian guy understands perfectly whats going on. He's not ignoring the black guy's story of how they only had independence for 50 or so years and didn't have time to develop. He just doesn't accept it as an excuse, because his country has been there as well.
>>
>>8117111
It's really not. I mean my classes are good and so are the peers in my program, but you step outside into the real world and realize there are tons of retards graduating each year from the satellite campuses. In fact, the only way they sell UTSC and UTM is by literally telling students during campus visits that they can just say UofT on their resume and no one will know they fucked up in high school.
>>
>>8117219
Who really gives a shit? The only thing you said that matters at all is
>my classes are good and so are the peers in my program
>>
>>8117181

> So either whites can't communicate or blacks can't listen. The latter is more likely.

Or there's the third option, the European nations during colonization weren't actively planning to divulge their knowledge on such technology in detail and only came to Africa for land, resources and labor just like America and South America in an attempt to develop their economic structure more.

>>8117191

> Yet natives of other lands can easily adopt foreign technology. Even contribute to it in some cases.

Not all natives anon and those that did were those that seek it out or actually took part in trading deals that didn't violate the integrity of their governments.

Japan before being under control of America or allied with Germany imported math and science books from Europe. Already familiar with such knowledge it made them an effective ally for Germany during WW2 and took to adopting technology America quickly since American "technology" is by proxy European "technology" too.

Then there's China where American and European businesses and governments had no interest in taking over the government but only wanted extra labor to produce products and left the culture and government intact. Conversely these actions also led China to becoming a up and coming super power that westerners are now worried about economically and militarily.

> He just doesn't accept it as an excuse, because his country has been there as well.

Wait you mean China was at one time occupied by foreign powers who ended up fighting with each other for land and resource possession to supplement their growing economic structure?

http://exhibitions.nypl.org/africanaage/essay-colonization-of-africa.html

http://voxeu.org/article/economic-rationale-african-scramble

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_African_Association

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Conference

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashoda_Incident
>>
Is Cornell any good for physics and engineering degrees? It's the closest ivy league to me and I don't want to go very far.
>>
>>8114649
Mein Neger.

AE Aero reporting. Finished first year. The engineering program is pretty sweet but some of the classes will really break a broom handle off your ass if you want to get an A (this shouldn't be that surprising though).

I attend the Prescott university so the student pool is relatively small, but it's been growing immensely lately.
>>
>>8117725
Cornell is amazing for physics, I'd imagine it's something similar for engineering
>>
>>8110236
You're AeroE? When do you graduate? I've probably seen you in Glenn L. Martin.
>>
>>8115501
Yeah, anything outside of those four is pretty garbage.
>>
File: UniversitLogotif.gif (10KB, 305x308px) Image search: [Google]
UniversitLogotif.gif
10KB, 305x308px
The very best aka where I'll be going
>>
File: cal poly.png (34KB, 2684x1342px) Image search: [Google]
cal poly.png
34KB, 2684x1342px
If you're just talking about undergrad.

Not even an engineer here, but the facilities and resources the engineering majors have are fantastic.
>>
>>8110254
How easily can one take advantage of affirmative action?

My great-grandmother was Muskogee native American, having been born on a reservation. The tribe even paid for my mother's divorce, as I recall. I certainly look white as snow though.
>>
File: 00473-08219.jpg (145KB, 598x332px) Image search: [Google]
00473-08219.jpg
145KB, 598x332px
I've been a NEET for 3 years and recently applied to a large amount of universities after deciding to change my life around. I was only accepted to extremely average schools like Kansas State University, South Dakota State University, Washington State University, Montana Tech etc...

How fucked am I? Do rankings matter for STEM? I don't see how they could if they all have the same accreditation. I really don't want to go to community college. I tried it and everything about it was lame and stupidly easy. It felt like a huge waste of time.

Should I just pick the best out of the group and go for it? My grandma is paying for everything.
>>
>>8117657
>the European nations during colonization weren't actively planning to divulge their knowledge on such technology in detail.

You could say that for every colonized nation. But so many have come farther than African countries since.

And that just begs the question: if you really need another civilization to give you technology, who gave whites technology in the first place?

And more importantly, why can't blacks simply make their own technology to rival whites? We're all the same under our skin, so they should be able to do it as well. Even the Chinese could figure out a compass at least.

>Japan before being under control of America or allied with Germany imported math and science books from Europe

They can do this because they have a written culture as well i.e. can read. What about blacks?

The media and academia are all part of the same political correctness bubble. They'll do anything to come up with excuses and lengthy explanations and scapegoats that sound nice but in the end help nobody.

Not even blacks, since it just gives them the idea that everyone else except them got them into their situation. They've just gone from being slaves of whites to slaves of their own victim mentality.

"My situation has nothing to do with what I chose to do or how I behave, but is entirely dependent on what white people have done and continue to do."
>>
>>8119086
I doubt they'd care since you're so far removed from your proclaimed heritage.

If half your family is native American then its probably substantial, but having a distant great-grandmother who just happens to be native American probably won't cut it since they'll just assume your already culturally and racially white by now.
>>
>Get admitted to CSULB
>Friends laugh at me for trying to get an engineering degree at a calstate because they're "not good enough to get you hired"
>Finish EE degree with a 3.6
>Apply to a shit ton of grad schools
>Accepted into UCSD, CalTech, UCLA, etc... except Cornell. Fuck Cornell I guess... too far.
>Finish grad degree
>Make ~80 grand with benefits

I love bragging about this. It basically shuts people who brags about their school up quite a lot.

That was about 7 years ago though.
>>
>>8119218
Caltech with a 3.6 GPA? That's pretty odd.

On a somewhat related note, I've always wondered if prestigious grad schools go out of their way to recruit students from mid-tier or state schools just because they need that token comes-from-a-lesser-school guy.
>>
>>8119649
Yeah, because it's impossible for anyone that goes to undergrad at non-prestigious schools to be smart. It's academic affirmative action.
>>
>>8119649
This. If he's telling the truth he must have been extraordinary in some other way, like doing substantial self-directed graduate-level research in his major discipline, which ultimately caused the poor GPA due to neglect in other areas.

I know a guy who got into the MIT doctoral operations research program with a 3.3 GPA due to precisely this. He spent his undergrad pioneering remarkable new research in the area.
>>
>>8119216
Assuming I could claim it, however, what difference would it realistically make in terms of admissions?
>>
>>8117219
Saint George Masterrace reporting.
can't speak for UTCS but UTM is pretty descent ive taken classes there(easier commute) and theyre pretty descent sometimes better(CSC258, CSC369 at least when i took them).
>>
>>8114649
>>8118105
Ayy

Aeronautical Science (fixed wing) major here. Looking forward to my senior year here at Prescott. You engineers are a weird breed
>>
>>8118220
I already did. Enjoy the campus and such? I liked the program. Very nice
>>
MIT
>>
>>8110236
>the experience was unlike anything I could have imagined.

Living in a gulag with nothing to do but partake in the pathetic bar scene?
>>
>>8120764
Really just more so the personal bits to it. The people on my class were engaged and it was pretty fun. Also not far from D.C. and other big cities
there were a lot of nig nogs though
>>
>>8108927
The nice thing about nerd schools with their own quirky culture, is I find pure math culture pretty homogeneous across the board. Whether it's math55 at harvard, top math guys at Princeton or mit, it's pretty much just a bunch of guys who like math hanging out, talking math, and working hard. If you actually like math/science thats a way better than retarded quirky bazinga tier "nerds."
>>
File: enough of that.gif (1016KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
enough of that.gif
1016KB, 250x333px
>>8107768
>>
>>8105134
Georgia Tech has awesome programs for Electrical, Aeronautical, Biomedical, and Industrial Systems Engineering.
I graduated in 2011 with a degree in Comp Sci. Still haven't had to work as hard as I had to at GT, but it was worth it. Plus, it's really fucking cheap.
>>
>>8115501
Queen's Com/Eng and Ivey would like to have a word with you
>>
>>8119656
I'm not saying its impossible for someone who goes to a mid-tier school to be smart.

What I meant was, if, for example, there are two equally qualified prospective grad students, with one being from a lesser school and the other being from a peer school, that the former will be chosen just because of some strange "diversity" reason.

I don't know about this but I hear the term "academic inbreeding" being tossed around for this reason. Not sure what it really means though, or how much people really care about it.
>>
Does anyone know anything about pic related? It's supposed to be good for engineering, but I never see them mentioned.
>>
File: Gonzaga_University_Logo.svg.png (73KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Gonzaga_University_Logo.svg.png
73KB, 1280x853px
>>8121877
My bad. I meant this pic related.
>>
>>8120731
Meh, I'm from MD, so it's never seemed that novel to me. Some of the engineering buildings are like dungeons too, and can be a little depressing. Other than that, yeah, it's pretty nice.
>>
>>8108919
I go there ;)
>>
>>8120844
>Still haven't had to work as hard as I had to at GT, but it was worth it. Plus, it's really fucking cheap.

Tell that to your out-of-state bros. I'm going there for a hefty pricetag of literal $30k/yr. It's that or ASU though, and I'll shell out money for not having a ruined life.
>>
>>8121880

You should have worked harder in high school.
>>
>>8120844
Yes, but you also have to be stuck in Georgia for 4 years.
>>
>>8105134
Literally anything BUT OP's pic related. A&M fags are the most obnoxious knob heads around.
>>
>>8124482
What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
>>
>>8113015
It's terrible here. Only 1 year to go and I'm free of this place.
>>
File: uni.jpg (404KB, 1024x717px) Image search: [Google]
uni.jpg
404KB, 1024x717px
IME (Militar Institute of Technology) and ITA (Aeronautics Institute of Technology) are the best engineering institutes of Latin America and one of the best of the Southern Hemisphere. The first brazilian astronaut, a lot of big company CEO and most top-notch engineering-scientists of Brazil formed in these two universities. Besides them, there're Federal Universities (USP [São Paulo] - best general university of Latin America, UFMG [Minas Gerais], UFRJ [Rio de Janeiro], UnB [Brasilia], etc). The best universities of Brazil are Federal/Militar and have no cost for the student (the state pays everything [I personally,don't like this socialist bullshit]).

I study Aerospace Engineering at UFSC, the federal university of Santa Catarina state. I like it, there're a lot of good teachers (a lot of foreign, like chinese, indian, russian, italian, venezuelan and so). Our only problem is the lack of infrastructure, like laboratories, test systems, expensive shit.

Last year i went to Tokyo for visit-studying at Tödai (University of Tokyo). Very cool, i loved it. University of Chile and the University of Buenos Aires are amazing too.

Pic: my uni.
>>
>>8119062
Yeah, walking through the big Engi building
"NORTHRUP GRUMMAN TECH LAB"
"BOEING COMMAND CENTER OF EXCELLENCE"
"LOCKHEED MARTIN MISSILE LAUNCH RESTROOMS"

Just holy fuck.
>>
>>8124507
Attitude aside they get the job done
>>
Keeping thread alive
>>
>>8124920

That's the science building tho.
>>
Bumping because I can
>>
NC STATE ENGINEERING REPRESENT
>>
Bumping epic thread
>>
File: RollaGreetings.jpg (46KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
RollaGreetings.jpg
46KB, 400x250px
>>8105134
If you deal with ACers then the only real schools are

Rolla
Alfred
Clemson

>>8108919
Are you referring to the fact it is remote as antarctic listening post with nothing to do, or the noticeable decline in educational quality as they try to force diversify and mainstream appeal?
Because I loved my hellish time there.
>>
>>8131192
What are ACers?
>>
>>8110256
Still mad you got denied?
>>
>>8112989
Its pretty true for Boston, Cambridge. MA, NYC, and Silicon Valley. I am thinking tech or bio companies mostly.
>>
>>8121005
Nah.. UofT/UW are the only acceptable CS/Engineering schools in Canada.

If anything, I would include McMaster Health Sci in the list (something like 98 cutoff lel)
>>
I regret choosing an engineering major
>>
>>8131576
What would you choose now, looking back.
>>
>>8131581
Physics
That's was my original major before I was strong armed to change it.
>>
>>8110286
Perhaps the knowledge and maturity you gained will make it worth while.
>>
>>8131586
>engineering major
>just had a phone interview for a position as a physicist
nuclear engineering is the master race major
>>
>>8131592
>nuclear engineering is the master race major

Don't sell lies. Nuke E has like 3 jobs in the entire world (the same problem physics has but even worse) so you will only get a job if you are the best of the best.

Congrats on your achievements, you are probably better than average, but don't go on the internet selling lies.

It is like if those rich CEOs that have philosophy degrees came to tell you that philosophy is the master race major but then you google their biographies and you see they are the son of Bill Gates' boss.
>>
>>8131612
>Nuke E has like 3 jobs in the entire world (the same problem physics has but even worse) so you will only get a job if you are the best of the best
>only applying to positions directly related to nuclear power generation
that's the mistake people make. i'm the guy that got offered the job at lockheed to work with their compact fusion team (but the fuckers "restructured" the team or whatever bullshit they told me when they rescinded the offer)
you can do whatever you want to do, as long as you show an employer that you can. i've had interviews with LLNL, savanah river site, and a few smaller research labs, as well as medical device manufacturing facilities. now i didnt get offers from them lel but they were interested. i also just got emailed asking if i'd consider relocation for a position reviewing and declassifying documents related to nuclear weapons and shit. the only limit on the jobs that will take you are the ones you dont apply to
>>
>>8131620
>you can do whatever you want to do, as long as you show an employer that you can
This is the part nobody on here seems to understand. They just think "hmm, his degree is X, so the only jobs he can get are those with the word X in the title."
>>
>>8131620
>the only limit on the jobs that will take you are the ones you dont apply to
Get the Fuck out of here with that fortune cookie tier bullshit .
>>
>>8131592
If I could go back I'd probably not go to university to begin with and just start working right out of high school
>>
>>8131718
reality doesn't conform to your preconceptions. not all "physicists" have a physics degree. not all "engineers" have an engineering degree (though professionally that's a different story), not all "statisticians" have a degree in statistics

>>8131725
why?
>>
My grandfather was the first black person to attend cal tech and I thought I could get in based on that but now I'm stuck in UCLA ;_; sned help /sci/
>>
>>8105134
>tfw 3.93, 34 ACT, some activities, etc, 5s on 10 AP tests, and ended up at louisiana tech because of my dad (wouldn't cooperate for financial stuff, fucked me over) and depression
>tfw 8 out of 10 on ACE questionairre (measures childhood trauma)
>tfw never had many friends in HS, KHV, almost 19
>tfw been obsessed with teacher for almost 3 years
>tfw i have lost motivation and did kinda bad last quarter (3.0 GPA for quarter, shit at such an easy school)
>tfw applied and was accepted to university of michigan as transfer student, dad still wouldn't cooperate and it went nowhere
>tfw want my teacher oneitis to help me plan my life, fix me
>tfw i know it won't happen
>tfw smoking, listening to burial, and contemplating emailing her

despite this, i feel happy to be alive. I just hope there is no afterlife. Honestly one of the only things that still bothers me psychologically is that there might be a hell. I just want this shit to be over when I die.

Give me a lot of adderall, some math to do, and living quarters, and i would be fine :) (as long as there is no afterlife)

sorry for the blogpost
>>
>>8132488
You're just shit, it's easy to make some shitty mobile games, slap some ads on it and there's your 4k/month passive income. And where did you get accepted? If it isn't a top 10 school where some companies hire from exclusively, they're all the same anyway.
>>
>>8132488
>whine about non-fancy school
>whine about parents not paying
>whine about stupid crush
>lose motivation despite all whining, as if it's due to above complaints
>continue to blame parents when after 4 years you should have gained independence
No one feels sorry for you. Stop falling for the expensive schools are better meme, pick up a fucking debt like the majority of the country, or don't since you can't stay motivated and save yourself (or your parents) a shitload of money.

Some people are luckier, but guess what, the vast majority aren't, so fuck you, entitled child.
>>
>>8132513
my mom's income is like $17000
if my dad would cooperate, i could go almost anywhere, for free, as long as i get a noncustodial parent exemption approved for the CSS profile

he physically abused me and didn't pay child support, there are legal files on it, so i'm sure i could probably get the waiver approved at least for some schools

i acknowledged that most days im actually fairly happy just so preachy faggots like you two wouldn't make shitty posts >>8132501
>>8132513

>>8132513
they couldn't or wouldn't pay anyway. fuck off, stop assuming i've had an idyllic life. I was almost put in foster care dickhead. honestly fuck yourself

im still happy to be alive, i just don't like the fact that my dad is arbitrarily holding back my potential

>>8132501
i want to make around at least $60k or more as an adult, enough to be comfy in the midwest (im from michigan)

its more that i was very focused on school and learning (spent thousands of hours learning shit outside of school) and all the effort i made has not had its full reward due to my dad being a dickhead

Stop falling for the expensive schools are better meme, pick up a fucking debt like the majority of the country, or don't since you can't stay motivated and save yourself (or your parents) a shitload of money.

>mfw you honestly believe the "hurr its all accreditted all schools are the same" meme

any time anyone brings up any complaint about anything personal, some preachy faggot like you has to come along

life is shit, no need to be a dick about it. almost everyone's life is shit. honestly people like you are so fucking annoying.

Had I not lied to protect my mom during my neglect investigation, she probably would have gotten in trouble and i would have gone to foster care.

Since you assumed im just a whiny faggot, im going to assume you are an upper middle class faggot that is kind of a loser and has to belittle people on fucking /sci/ to feel good about himself.

*triggered*
>>
>>8132513
>whine about parents not paying
im not whining that they don't pay, they couldn't and wouldn't if they could. I got a full ride to LA tech, that's why im there.

My grandparents (who actually loved me and died when I was 10, basically raised me until then) left me some (not a ton) money to go to college, and before his mom died, my dad made her sign the money over to him (she has severe alzheimer's and didn't know what she was doing), and he spent it all on himself and doesn't talk to me much

stop being such a presumptuous faggot
>>
>>8132513
i am independent you faggot, i worked almost full time at mcdonalds in HS to buy a car and got a full ride. they haven't given me a dime and actually neglected me. i had no siblings and no one to protect me when my grandparents died (rest of family lives far away) and didn't feel safe in my house.

Go
Fuck
Yourself
>>
>>8132529
>i want to make around at least $60k or more as an adult
thats not even entry level engr job salary. just fucking take out student loans and stop bitching
>>
>>8132546
read the rest of my posts and you may be able to see why im a little mad, you fucking autist.

also, are you fucking retarded, i mentioned that my goals are relatively modest so you would know thta i don't have unrealistic expectations about life.

fuck yourself with a steak nife, even if you are trolling (good trolling btw)
>>
>>8132529
>>8132534
>>8132537
I'm sorry. You appear to have zero reading comprehension. Let me try to highlight something for you:

>pick up a fucking debt like the majority of the country

Your situation is NOT fucking unique, so DEAL WITH IT.

I know someone who was promised college would be paid for up until the moment it actually came. She has a masters and $80k debt that she is working to pay off.

Whine bitch moan all you want.
>>
File: New_York_University_NYU_174499.png (25KB, 200x202px) Image search: [Google]
New_York_University_NYU_174499.png
25KB, 200x202px
What's the word on NYU? It's one of the schools I'm looking to transfer to. My intended major is a dual major in EE and physics.

>>8132529
You should have joined the military and let them pay for your shit, pussy.

4 years gets you:
>G.I. Bill:
>full in-state tuition and ~$22k private tuition per academic year (Yellow Ribbon might cover the rest)
>book stipend every semester/quarter
>monthly housing stipend of ~$1.5-2.5k per month depending on where you live
>Tuition Assistance (while on active duty):
>$4500 tuition per fiscal year
>$4500 lifetime for occupational licenses and certifications
>Veteran status:
>Employers get tax incentives for hiring vets
>Nationwide employment networks
>Work experience and instant reputation of discipline and efficiency

You want the world handed to you on an MLP body pillow, though. Just keep waiting for your handouts, kid. I'll bet you get them someday.
>>
File: 1407902088232.png (121KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
1407902088232.png
121KB, 500x323px
>>8132562
you're the one with no reading comprehension you fucking retard, anyone with a tiny bit of common sense would realize im not complaining about the debt, it obviously was a thinly veiled /r9k/ style post about my life in general being shitty.

how fucking autistic do you have to be to actually think it is the money i'm complaining about.

I will fully admit it is off topic for this board and I should be on /r9k/, but /r9k/ doesn't have uni threads anymore, and i figured some people on here would have constructive advice rather than being condescending faggots, but apparently you are enough of a fucking dick to turn this into an hour long argument because you can't draw fucking basic conclusions from my post or have enough reserve to leave a complete stranger alone about personal matters.

i know it's my fault, but please stop posting, we're shitting up the thread.
>>
>>8132568
i would have joined the air force, medically disqualifed

apparently everyone on 4chan is an expert about complete strangers' lives
>>
>>8131458
you cant really be proud of something you didnt earn
>>
File: ACerS.png (22KB, 200x84px) Image search: [Google]
ACerS.png
22KB, 200x84px
>>8131425
Sorry, forgot to capitalize the S

ACerS, now it should be self evident as any non-mainstream acronym which everyone should really know according to the author (me).
>>
>>8114557
its yours and everyone elses fault for not taking action against it
>>
>>8115440
The common complaint is it is in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do.

It is also very hard, they use to drop over half the students in intro class to get rid of the wannabe engineers, which is why the few who pass were literally the best of the best. But funding and meddling have dramatically lowered the drop-out rate recently as well as been addressing a huge lack of diversity (there are now 23% female students, which is a huge increase since I was there), but I fear this departure from tradition will lower the quality of grads in the years to come.

I say take all the math and science courses you can before going there so you don't have to take the remedial courses, have at least have Calc 3 going in. Also add a year to however long your plan to be there as only a statistical oddity or true genius can take the planned course load. Get an easy minor out of that extra time to round out your resume, also find hands on experience with deign team, internship or something. Have planned down time to combat burnout, but you got to stay diligent as this one of the best engineer schools in the world when I was there a few years ago. You got to earn your degree, and a fine degree it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_University_of_Science_and_Technology#Rankings
>>
File: Oregon_State_University_logo.png (5KB, 285x300px) Image search: [Google]
Oregon_State_University_logo.png
5KB, 285x300px
Anyone know how good oregon state is? I go here for math but the engineering school keeps jacking itself off that it's the best ever.
Is this true or are we delusional?
>>
>>8132756
idk it's one of only two schools on the west coast that offers nuclear engineering; the other one is Berkeley
also I think it has a functioning nuclear reactor on campus or something

got accepted there for nukeE but out of state tuition is a rip off and I didn't want to get swindled

id only particularly go there if I lived in Oregon and thought that I might do that program otherwise I doubt it makes a difference where you go for engineering
>>
>>8132638
Different anon here, I'm interested in transferring there to major in aerospace, do you have any experience/knowledge with the aerospace program?
>>
>>8132768
Yeah we have a nuclear reactor on campus. And ok that's neat. I didn't really care since I'm actually switching from math to another Non engineering major. I was just curious.
>>
>>8132789
I don't know that much, but aerospace has good design teams options. And they got a lot of companies to come to the career fair. They were all waiting in line for Bell, because of the hype of the V-22 at the time.

It was an aerospace major that help redesign the solar car back decades ago when we beat MIT and became the new model for how solar cars should be made. Turns out drag matters in cars, who knew?
>>
File: 1463753999517.png (7KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1463753999517.png
7KB, 420x420px
I'm not American but this engineering schoolself fellatio is just salty state school circlejerking.

This"engineering schools" meme or "state schools are better for engineering" meme must die. At schools (Caltech, Cambridge, MIT) where all students enter with equally impressive grades (I.e perfect) engineering has zero reputation for difficulty. Its alleged difficulty is propounded by dumb normies who take it because they see it as a sure way to get a job. They don't know any better. They don't know (and neither does a lot of 4chn) that many graduate jobs take people from any degree, including tbe highest paid jobs in banking and mangemebt consulting. But then those places don't advertise in their universities anyway. Then they take Calc 2 and Thermodynamics start saying that engineering is the hardest major...lol.

Engineering school....LOL. If you were at Cambridge or Harvard (doing engineering science) etc then you'd have a much tougher and more rigorous curriculum rather than corporate cuck training.
>>
>>8132906
You underestimate the intelligence of students at top schools. Most if not all of them are from privledged and wealthy backgrounds with impressive academic pedigree. I saw first hand in my class how students that scored 2300/2400 on the SAT bombed basic STEM classes and some of these students you'd never suspect scores so highly on the SAT due to their ability in these classes and their general retarded mannerism. Those 18 year older are just as young and naive we 18 year olds anywhere else and some of them aren't any more intelligent than some kid not at a prestigious university. It's just their moms and dads are doctors with education from elite universities or they are the sons and daughters of political leaders. This is one of those schools that cost over $250,000 to obtain a degree.
>>
>>8132917
On mobile. Autocorrect is horrible and changed my sentence but whatever.
>>
File: d.jpg (147KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
147KB, 1500x1500px
>>8105195
>>
>>8132488
hmu lets talk about our crippling depression
>>
>>8132906

>school kids think X
>X is then true

Any jerk-off with an engineering degree and a job can tell you the REAL learning is after you graduate and find a job.

Universities empty your brain and fill it with math and science.

Companies then remove blind math and science, restructure it and then teach you think on about five different levels. The coursework is not strenuous but the job will be.

Compare that to your "non-normie" professor or researcher who bangs out the same shit every day in class or in the lab.
>>
>>8116432

This guy nailed it.

No political or sociological answer.

You're there, other people aren't and are jealous.

They'll cut you down because they failed to be as good as they needed to be to get in to MIT.

You were. Enjoy your leg up education that you've earned.

On a side note, if you don't think he earned it, you're suffering from "my bar wasn't low enough" syndrome. You are the reason we have a participation trophy generation.
>>
>>8132300
It was a waste of time
Had I not gone to university I wouldn't be in dept , have more work experience and money .
>>
>>8105134
Missouri S&T, one of the best in the country
>>
>>8133043
Does it make sense for the many to support a system that only benefits the few?
>>
what does sci think about VT CompE
>>
>>8133181
Wasn't that were that Asian guy went postal?
>>
>>8133309
Yes.

Also, filter namefags.
>>
>>8132529
I meant the 4k/month = 48k/year income would be more than enough to pay for your university yourself. Obviously this shouldn't be your career goal, but a hobby.

Dude my dad passed when I was 10, and that's how I payed for my own education. I was making over 80k when I was 17.

Again, you're just making excuses.
>>
File: anonymize.png (3KB, 352x70px) Image search: [Google]
anonymize.png
3KB, 352x70px
>>8133312
>>
why has this thread not been deleted?

It has nothing to do with science or math at all, and university advice belongs on /adv/.
>>
>>8131458
I am m8. fuckem
>>
>>8133333
>I was making over 80k when I was 17.
Dude fuckoff. The average 17 year old does not have any opportunity to make 80k unless he drops out of high school to sell drugs. You obviously got handed some extraordinary opportunities on a silver platter, oh but daddy died so it doesn't count.

Maybe that was like 5 years ago and you got obscenely lucky and stumbled upon a gold mine but acting as if it's as simple as 'oh just make a mobile game and you'll earn 50k a year' is insanely obtuse.
>>
>>8120844
Started 2015, already got internship for the summer, not even Georgia resident. The only downside is seeing niggers every day.
>>
>>8114597
What's the relationship between UoI and 2001?
>>
>>8132568
Also curious about NYU since their engineering school is basically a rebranded polytechnic.
>>
Is civil engineering a meme degree? How rewarding will a career in civil be?

Thank you and good night
>>
>>8133336
Why disguise consistently shitty posts as normal posts, rather than simply getting rid of them?
>>
>>8134045
it is the easiest and most business like
i picked structural because it was the easiest/fastest and i hated my school
i now do paperwork all day for caltrans make ok money not too much work
surrounded by other average people
>>
>>8133342
> implying you can talk about anything but sex and women there
>>
>>8134066
Because it's far less noticeable. 4chan posts in general are quite shitty, so unless someone specifically mentions someone as being a trip/namefag I really cannot tell the difference, and I don't have to deal with large chunks of posts missing, particularly on the thread previews where 4chanX does not fill them in with other posts from the thread.
>>
>>8132513
>No one feels sorry for you.
Speak for yourself
I feel sympathy for him
>>
In Canada:
University of Toronto
McGill University
University of British Columbia
University of Waterloo
McMaster University
>>
>>8111016
How was your army experience?
>>
>top engineering school thread
>Nobodys mentioned Stevens Institutute of Technology
Stevens is a top engineering school AND theor improv team is 4th in the country
>>
University of Chicago
>>
>>8107768
Is this real?
>>
Quick question for canadians:
Why do your universities have such high acceptance rates? UofT has a 60~ percent acceptance rate. That would be like going to Cal State East Bay, which is a SHIT cal state that I didn't even know existed until this year.
>>
>>8136128
They get them sweet tuition monies and only 1/5th actually graduate b/c of the rigorous curriculum.

And a more realistic rate is 30% for Core8 engineering, 10%ish for Engineering Science, and <20% for business (Rotman Commerce)

60% seems about right for Art Sci programs.
>>
>>8116965
>No food options
There's tons of places to eat there, if you aren't impoverished.
>>
>>8124819
it means gonzaga is a shit
>>
Brazier a true frosh at A&M just ran the 800m in 1:43.55 BTFO anon! Insane!
>>
>>8136070
roll ducks
>>
>>8119649

My former chem PI went to Caltech with a 3.1. The reason was he literally just lived in the lab as an undergraduate and got JACS pubs
>>
>>8136327
k
>>
>>8107614
I keep debating going here just because it does seem like a good school if you're positive on engineering or physics. The fact that it's in some town of 70K people in the middle of South Dakota though makes it sound like you'd die of boredom, though.
>>
File: Yukino_S206.png (478KB, 609x768px) Image search: [Google]
Yukino_S206.png
478KB, 609x768px
>>8136128
Depends on the program. For example, UWaterloo has an acceptance rate of 52%, but I assume that's because of deferrals to other programs.

CS co-op at UWaterloo has an acceptance rate of around 10-13% IIRC.

UofT CS has this thing where you have to declare it in second year or at the end of first year or something, so you can't say "I'm in CS" until that happens.

A lot of weeding out happens in these universities.

Bottom line: Canadian universities are easy to get into, as long as your Grade 12 average is high, but hard to get out of due to "weed-out" courses. Keep in mind they are also public universities, unlike prestigious American universities which are all private (with the exception of Berkeley, I guess)
>>
>>8137747
>cucknadia
>relevant

shiggy
>>
>>8137747
U of T and McGill are better than many 'prestigious' private universities, including Ivy Leagues.
There are also prestigious public universities in the USA.
Being publicly funded here isn't a bad thing because all universities here are publicly funded.
>>
Montana Tech is a good engineering school that's worth the money.
>>
>>8136070
Stevens student reporting in, our EE department is shit tier, at least in terms of research (half the faculty does nothing but signals and wireless communications, and the other half builds stupid fucking apps) and I've heard bad things about the CS department. Apparently our ROI is so high and our reputation is good because we produce a lot of people who get into upper management, not necessarily great engineers. If anything is good at this school, it's probably MechE, but I don't know anything about that.
>>
>>8138215
I feel like after 2 years of going to Stevens Ive learned the school is very "DIY" like i feel like ive taught myself in most of my classes cause I can only speak for the CPE professors, havent had any straight up EE ones yet, but they always seem to be not great instructors
>>
>>8138019
if Waterloo were a school in the US it'd easily be top 10 or so for CS and mathematics.
>>
>>8107768
They actually used the 100
CRINGE
>>
>>8116432
A M E N
>>
>>8138090
they're okay at engineering. they don't even have physics though, which is fucking ridiculous.
>>
File: University_of_texas_logo1.jpg (276KB, 750x749px) Image search: [Google]
University_of_texas_logo1.jpg
276KB, 750x749px
Anybody?

Incoming freshman and between all the californian transplants, politicians, asian premeds, and homeless austinites im scared.
>>
>>8139362
i am a math grad student
maybe you'll be in one of my classes
>>
>>8139362
Doubtful

I'm majoring in env sci so unless you're TA'ing some babi-level stats 101 shit we'd be more likely to see each other on 6th st.
>>
>>8139374

FUCK meant to reply to >>8139365
>>
>>8132906
All undergrad degrees are a joke anyway.
>>
>>8136128
Is it really? The average needed to enter in U of T's engineering program keep increasing every year. I think it's at something ridiculous like 98%. Give it a few more years and it's going to get at 100%. Honestly, I find this pretty retarded because there is no standardization AT ALL among high schools, so if you're not going to one with insane grade inflation, you're basically doomed from the start. The SAT in the US at least put everyone on the same level.

I'm not bitter at all to be honest, because I never applied there for undergrad, but got in for grad school, where I've learned about this.
>>
>>8138019
McGill is kind of iffy for engineering though. Really hit or miss. I think it's pretty much universally recognized as their weakest point.
>>
>>8139421
>I think it's at something ridiculous like 98%
No.

~96 for Engineering Science (Math 55-tier courses)
~95 for TrackOne (General First Year)
~94 for Mech
~93 for ECE
~91 for other disciplines

These marks with "average" extracurriculars will get you in.

The only programs in Canada that requires literally 98%+ average are McMaster Health Science and Waterloo Software Engineering.

Also there is no grade inflation going on. It's just all these Chinese/Korean international students who learn Calculus in grade 6 that actually do get 100% in Advanced Functions/Calculus&Vectors/Physics.
>>
>>8139424
Stop.
All undergraduate programs in Canada are roughly equivalent. They are standardized. Taking engineering at McGill, which competes for the top ranked spot in Canada, is not 'hit or miss'. It's great.
No matter where you are, you learn the exact same shit.
You aren't an engineer here until you do you PENG anyway.
>>
University of Pittsburgh civil here to say we exist. We line up to be exactly like the university of maryland.
>>
>>8140863
Some companies like Microsoft and Facebook hire almost exclusively from UofT/Wloo.

While you are correct about all undergraduate programs learning roughly the same material, there is still some prestige/name value that comes w/ your school. Ofc what I said only applies to ECE.
>>
>>8140876
>almost exclusively
First and foremost, GPA matters. Yes, seeing U of T and Waterloo on resumes are nice. But GPA, experience, etc matter more than the name of your school.
There definitely is perceived prestige, but in undergraduate studies, it is all nearly the same. The only thing going to McGill will do for you as an undergrad is impress someone for five seconds before they forget about it. It's nice to brag about. But the material is the same. You won't benefit from the faculty as an undergrad because you'll probably be taught by ta's... not that it matters, because calc 1 at ryerson is the same as calc 1 at york is the same as calc 1 at mcgill.
The differences, though, do exist as far as course offerings - Waterloo offers FAR more math courses for example than McMaster, especially in the actuarial area. Waterloo doesn't have a med school though.
>>
I want Canadians to leave.
>>
File: csuc-signature.jpg (25KB, 276x89px) Image search: [Google]
csuc-signature.jpg
25KB, 276x89px
>mfw

>mfw getting a degree in Finance

I w-will be successful
>>
>>8114075
>black
You were accepted the moment you were born.
>>
>>8140873
Attending for ChemE this fall. How is the program?
>>
File: 8cfc523f.png (58KB, 1088x200px) Image search: [Google]
8cfc523f.png
58KB, 1088x200px
How about this one?
>>
>>8141805
coops make it for the most part. CS here is bretty good but also easy to pass so a lot of useless fucks graduate
>>
File: 4L_Y9DRap44.png (106KB, 1725x1050px) Image search: [Google]
4L_Y9DRap44.png
106KB, 1725x1050px
>>8105555
ga tech is great for any type of math, engineering, or cs.
scholarships in ga make college really cheap if you try hard in a ga high school.
dank quads btw. :^)
>>
Keeping one of the oldest surviving threads of /sci/ alive.
>>
>>8114538
>Ask yourself honestly: if you weren't a non Asian minority, would you still have gotten in?

Oh, my god this such a bullshit question. Yes, stats like this do not guarantee admission and many people with stats like that get rejected. But also, there are plenty of Asians with stats like that which got in. His stats are impressive and they very much qualify him for admittance to MIT. Not everyone who gets rejected is underqualified, man.
>>
File: mICYYYSI61Y6.jpg (1MB, 2610x3292px) Image search: [Google]
mICYYYSI61Y6.jpg
1MB, 2610x3292px
This one beats every other on this thread.
>>
>>8144288
>replying to a 14 day old post
>>
>>8144322
>Not noticing >>8143967 bumped it first.
>>
>>8114278
>TU Delft
Are we really that good?
>>
File: tips.jpg (19KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
19KB, 300x400px
>>8144292
>l'fondation
>>
>>8139362
Right here, if you're a ChemE or CivE I'll introduce you to a few friends in the engineering school.
I'm not engineering though, I'm Biophysics.
>>
>>8132339
lol you're a disappointment to him
>>
File: memoperations.png (1MB, 937x962px) Image search: [Google]
memoperations.png
1MB, 937x962px
Bumping to keep this ancient thread alive.
>>
>>8144292
No.
>>
>>8146701
Prove me wrong fagget.
>>
>>8112969
Name of the case?
>>
Thread is now on life support.
>>
What about Tohoku University for studying abroad?
>>
>>8148727
Also, anyone have experience with the GE3?
>>
>>8146789
Fisher v Texas it seems.

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-colorblind-constitution-what-abigail-fishers-affirmative-action-case-is-r

Basically some girl wanted to go to UT Austin to continue the legacy because many of her family members went there but got denied. Her case is that 5 minorities with worse grades got provisional admission, but 42 whites with worse grades also got provisional admission. It should be noted that she got some form of provisional admission as well; she would be guaranteed a transfer to UT Austin after maintaining a 3.2 at any other Texas Uni after Freshmen year. Sounds like a legacy who is mad they didn't get in than someone with an actual case
>>
>>8148758
I find this ironic since even white women benefit a lot from affirmative action as well. Even if she brought it down she probably still wouldn't get in because she nullified her own advantage from her gender.
>>
>Ranked 34th in the world by Times
>Ranked 50th in the world by QS
>Costs the same as a community college

Best universities in North America are in Canada when you factor in opportunity cost.
>>
>>8109750
I've met and worked with some guys from there, they had some good engineering skills. I'd say that's an okay/goodish school.
>>
>>8105195
forgot to add arabs

basically evry other sociotey where parents tell their kids what to do...

well disciplined children

something unfortunately white people have lost over capital
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.