[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Astrophysicists and engineers of /sci/ I need your help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (6KB, 288x162px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 288x162px
I'm trying to calculate something but I don't know exactly how to set up the equation because I don't normally work in this field and I'm pretty new to STEM in general, only just half way through with my BA in chem.

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out what the effect of trump's wall getting too tall would be on the center of gravity of planet earth.

Let's take F to be the approximate height of the wall as originally intended.
However, the real height of the wall will not be expressed simply as a function of F because every time Mexico does something belligerent the wall gets 10 feet higher.

So the final height of the wall can be expressed as something like

F + 10(x)ft where x is a function of Mexican belligerence about paying for the wall.

I know I need to use this somehow in order to calculate both the surface area of the wall and the weight of the wall, but I'm not sure what I would have to do after that in order to calculate the ultimate impact of this on the speed of the rotation of the planet on its axis or on the center of gravity of the planet earth. Would it also effect the tides if it got high enough to effect these things? What kinds of materials would the engineers need to use to build the wall this high? How would that effect the final weight of the wall?
Nevermind the logistical issues assume it's technologically feasible this is just a hypothetical I'm trying to work out. How many times would the wall have to get 10 feet higher in order for there to be consequences that would be measurable on an astrophysical scale and what would those consequences be I guess is my question, but I want to be able to see the demonstrations, not just armchair guessing games. Thanks in advance, I'll be monitoring and helping when I can with the notes I've been making.
>>
Make wall inflatable, fill it with helium, it can now go up to space changing earth's CoM by fuck all.
>>
Negligible.
>>
>>8103026

But what if somebody popped it? wouldn't the entire wall come down?
>>
>>8103018
>Anyways, I'm trying to figure out what the effect of trump's wall getting too tall would be on the center of gravity of planet earth.
Negligible without unrealizable extremes that would have more pressing issues.
>>
>>8103034

Can you unpack this? What would the more pressing issues be? that sounds dangerous.
>>
If we assume a perfectly level and even height across the entire wall, then all you need is the exact angle when taken from the center of the Earth of the westernmost edge of the wall to the easternmost edge of the wall.
Given that angle, you can calculate the arc length of any radius, the radius being equal to
[eqn] R_E + H_W [/eqn]
where [math] R_E [/math] is the radius of the earth at the US/Mexico border because oblate spheroid, and [math] H_W [/math] is the height of the wall.
You would integrate two things:
The first would be the arc length along the ground, at [math] R_E [/math], then you would integrate the arc length at [math] R_E + H_W [/math].
You would subtract the first integral from the second, giving you the area of a 2d representation of the wall. Then, you'd multiply that by the width of the wall, then multiply that by the average density of the materials used (Industrial concrete + Rebar most likely, plus or minus a few mexican bodies), to get the mass of the wall.
From there, you need the center of mass of the wall, which is also a pain in the ass because of curvature, but just do another integral somewhere in there and you'll be good. Once you have pinpointed the center of mass of the wall, you have all the information you need for a newtonian calculation on the center of mass of the earth, and you can also do the calculations for the centripetal force of the wall, blah blah blah, but that's where you'd need to start.
>>
>>8103037
The wall collapsing due to the fundamentally limited compressive strength of all known materials and also truly ridiculous wind loading; if you ignore that, the ground collapsing under the wall because soil and rock can only bear so much load.
>>
>>8103097

How tall does the wall get before this starts happening?
>>
There is no wall because Mexico didn't pay.

Problem solved
>>
>>8103018
fairly difficult to calculate since:
A) I don't know what the average height above sea level the wall is (fairly easy to figure out I guess)
B) I don't know what height the bricks (or cement) were before they were used to build the wall
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.