[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am 1 year into my degree (EE) and find it boring and a chore.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 124.jpg (17KB, 262x133px) Image search: [Google]
124.jpg
17KB, 262x133px
I am 1 year into my degree (EE) and find it boring and a chore. Will it get better once I learn enough to apply it to real world applications? I looked at the lecture scripts that will come in the next semesters and all that stuff looks boring as well. Is it normal to feel that way? Is it just something you have to get through to then have fun in your graduate degree or job?
>>
>>8092558
Why not try trades if you're the hands on type?
I fucking hated uni for the same reasons and my life did a complete 180 when I got into trade school.
>>
>>8092558
sounds like you're just not interested

loving my EE/CE course desu
>>
>>8092576
What do you love about it?
>>
>>8092579
And: do you love it all the time? Like do you sit in a lecture and listen with excitement? Do you look forward to doing the coursework?
>>
>>8092572
What trade did you learn?

When I graduated school I just had no idea what to do so I thought that if I just go through college I will develop an interest for something and then find a nice job. I guess that was very naive.
>>
>ITT: Why doesn't everyone have a low attention span like me!?
>>
>>8092591
Welding. It's nice since it involves an actually relatively wide range of knowledge in subjects like metallurgy, electricity and chemistry. Obviously it doesn't go as deeply as you guys in engineering but there's that. Also welding is neat because you're in your own little world when you're under the hood and knowing how to work with metal is really useful in general.

There's a lot of other trades that sound really interesting too.
>>
>>8092558

Take a look at the curriculum. Check 3rd and 4rth year's classes.

Do they look interesting? Would you be happy if you did this for the rest of your life?

If the answer is "no" to either question, do something else.

A single year is literally nothing.
When you're 3+ years in and you cannot back out, that's when it becomes a problem
>>
>>8092579
It's hard to describe. My favourite single element is the creative techniques that are used in the design of devices. For example, in analogue electronics (an art form in itself) the use of cascodes, staging and feedback in order to overcome implementation problems and hardware inconsistencies.

In power, I enjoyed designing SMPS devices. In digital, the various techniques for implementing microprocessor functions as logic gates. Control/signals/linear systems as a whole are pleasant courses.

I think you need to enjoy creating things to be a good engineer. In theoretical terms there are a lot of interesting courses (communcations, EM) but they aren't the primary aspect of what engineering is about.
>>
>>8092585
>And: do you love it all the time?
Yeah, I think so although it can get annoying sometimes.

>Like do you sit in a lecture and listen with excitement?
I detest lectures. The course work can be pretty boring because it's often only a relatively simple application of the techniques we've learned.

Group projects can be fun though since you're given more of a free reign.
>>
>>8092615
I understand how that is interesting but I feel like everything can be interesting so in the end nothing particularly ends up interesting me if that makes sense.

>>8092609
I did and it's all math and physics and I find it boring. But maybe if I went through it and got the knowledge to apply it I would learn to enjoy it?
>>
>>8092558
have you done electronics yet? Electronics is probably the most applied aspect of electrical engineering that you can do without a lot of machines.

The whole digital aspect of how memory is stored, interfacing with electronic devices and whatnot is quite different to the circuit analysis they jam down your throat. There is quite abit of programming you have to pick up for electronics especially, so if you don't enjoy programming you're out of luck.
>>
>>8092623
>I feel like everything can be interesting so in the end nothing particularly ends up interesting me if that makes sense.
It's not gonna be helpful OP, but I also am in this exact situation and understand completely. Good luck to both of us to find a way out of this.
I think the main problem is having so many possibilities and no specific goal, it makes you feel lost.
>>
>>8092558
OP, you have to make projects to enjoy it.
Take for example /diy/ , they enjoy what they are doing because they are building his own stuff
Also, is going to be fun once you get a job.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.