[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cake Problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

Earlier I devised a deceptively simple-seeming maths problem. To my annoyance I can't solve it:

You want to cut a circular cake, diameter d, into x pieces of equal area.
The traditional way of doing this would be to cut normal slices every 360/x deg around the circle.
However you are an autist from 4chan and need each slice to have the exact same area - you also only have a ruler to hand.
Therefore devise an equation/ set of equations to cut the cake in parallel slices into slices of exactly equal area simply in terms of x and d.

Please note, this is NOT a homework request and I will be pissed off if anybody suggests it is, I devised this problem and I think it leads to a procedure not an equation but am really not sure - if you can begin to understand it you will hopefully see that it is at a level of maths higher than one at which you might be given "homework", thank you
>>
numberphile answered this question

based numberphile
>>
>>8082099
You have misunderstood the word "parallel" I fear
>>
>>8082083
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_segment#Area

doesn't look pretty
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 1280x960px
Would you mean something like this?
>>
>>8082188

It's cool how the image compression on the thumbnail makes the perfectly straight lines appear wobbley and bent.
>>
>>8082083
1/2
>>
>>8082083
2/2
>>
>>8082083

3/2:

this is the best i could come up with. you can reduce the problem to a recursion relation subject to the condition that you start at the origin and build up outwards to a_x = R. each a_n gives you a little slice, but there isn't any regular pattern to them, and i definitely dont think that the recursion relation can be summed into something expressible in terms of elementary functions. solving for the first width is impossible analytically bc it's a transcendental equation from the get go. maybe there's a totally different approach that's tractable, though.
>>
>>8082083
>level of maths
plug chug isn't any level of maths
you don't even have to think at all, an expression for the answer is obtained directly.
>>
File: 1456655258663.jpg (161KB, 344x460px) Image search: [Google]
1456655258663.jpg
161KB, 344x460px
>>8082083

What do you mean by the area of the piece? The surface area? The area of a face? Or do you actually mean the volume?
>>
>>8082083
you need height of cake for thin cakes
>>
>>8082121

The area of the circle is A=d^2*pi/4. You want x>1 slices, so you want to make cuts which would cut off circular segments of areas
A=y*d^2*pi/(4 x), for y=1,2,...,x-1. The circular segement area formula is A = d^2/8 (T-sin(T)), where T is the central angle in radians, so
2*y*pi/x = T-sin(T). Assume the cake is centered at the origin and we make cuts parallel to the horizontal axis. The cut is then at the
location c=R*sin(T/2) up the vertical axis. Then
2*asin(c/R)=T, so 2*y*pi/x = 2*asin(c/R) - sin( 2*asin(c/R) ). We need to solve this for c. Now sin( 2*asin(c/R) simplifies to (2 c sqrt(1-c^2/R^2))/R, but solving explicitly for c in
2*y*pi/x = 2*asin(c/R) - (2 c sqrt(1-c^2/R^2))/R
looks too difficult.
>>
>>8082954
It's not solvable explicity.
>>
>>8082083
It's very simple but can only be solved numerically.

y - sin y = 2 F pi

Where F is the fraction of the area a particular chord divides the circle into and y is the angle between the radii which connect the endpoints of that chord (this interior angle defines the chord). So the first chord is

y - sin y = 2 pi / x

The second is

y - sin y = 4 pi / x

Etc.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.