[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fun exercises

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1457120147663.jpg (23KB, 446x550px) Image search: [Google]
1457120147663.jpg
23KB, 446x550px
/sci/ is boring tonight, I thought I'd bring back some fun math problems that are very easy to understand that anyone can attempt.

Let [math]A \in M_n(\mathbb{R}) [/math] (a square matrix of size n with real coefficients)

Show that if
[math]AA^TA[/math] is symmetrical, then [math]A[/math] is symmetrical as well.

Another that I found, if you fancy arithmetics:

find [math]det(gcd(i,j))_{ 1 \leq i,j \leq n}[/math]
>>
Note to people attempting them: don't get discouraged, they're not particularily easy.
>>
>>8081455
How is gcd defined for real numbers?
>>
>>8081466
Not for real numbers.
the entry of i-th row and the j-th column of the matrix is gcd(i,j).
>>
File: a sign from above.webm (168KB, 400x222px) Image search: [Google]
a sign from above.webm
168KB, 400x222px
One bump before I go to bed. Maybe some US fags would like to try.
>>
>>8081706
Wasn't this in /sqt/?
>>
File: UaRKN9w.png (126KB, 400x325px) Image search: [Google]
UaRKN9w.png
126KB, 400x325px
>>8081455
>trying to disguise your homework as a "fun problem" thread
>>
>>8081455
I suspect function
[math] g(n)=det(gcd(i,j))_{1\leq i,j\leq n}[/math]
is [math] g(n)=\prod_{1\leq k\leq n}\varphi(n)[/math] where [math]\varphi [/math] is Euler totient function. This is based on the cases [math] n\leq 6[/math] (not exactly a wealth of evidence...)and the easy recursion formula [math] \varphi(p)=(p-1)\varphi(p-1)[/math] (eliminate the last row with the first, here [math] p[/math] is prime). In fact the matrices look equivalent by row transformations (without permutations) to a diagonal matrix with the Euler totient function in the diagonal, but I don't see how to prove that.
>>
>>8081762
Further updates.
When you put the matrix in upper triangular form the sum of elements in row n seems to be n. In fact the element [math] a_{i-k+1,i}[/math] appear to be the number of elements less than or equal to i, which have gcd k with i. I think i'm quite close to setting up a funky looking induction. This is some pretty cool problem OP, lots of numerical coincidences.
>>
>>8081790
Shit, I meant sum of elements in column n.
>>
>>8081790
Damn I probably had a stroke while writing this. Disregard it.
>>8081793
This is still fine.
>>
>>8081762
K. Here is the next installment. Expand the matrix to have infinite entries. The entries in row n should be ciclical with period n. Conjecture is that rows operation lead to the pattern 0,0,...,[math]\varphi(n)[/math],0,0,\dots.
It seems that you get this pattern by substracting those row n those rows that divide n. After looking at the picture and frowning a bit, this is equivalent to the identities:
[math] \sum_{d|n}\varphi(d)=n[/math] and for r<n [math]\sum_{d|n,d|r}\varphi(d)=(r,n)[/math] (that I see now are the same...), this is a known identity. Yay!

I'll leave the other problem to other anons.
>>
>>8081739
I believe you are mistaken, for /sci/ is not inhibited by scum that are still taking babymaths like intro to linear algebra
>>
File: scipage1.png (82KB, 1294x644px) Image search: [Google]
scipage1.png
82KB, 1294x644px
>>8081739
>>8082033
niggas. pic related is my first page of /sci/, and it has been similar to that for a while now.
So instead of doing the old putnam thing, I just went here
http://forum.prepas.org/viewtopic.php?p=223754#p223754
and
here
http://forum.prepas.org/viewtopic.php?p=223997#p223997

to grab fun exercises that are very easy to understand but not necessarily easy to solve.

As you can see, I feel
>>8081762
>>8081836
had some fun.

My last homework was 4 or 5 years ago, so if you prefer to debate qualia and black IQ go right ahead.

>>8081762
>>8081836
I think that's the right answer, it's pretty neat anon. Are you interested if I try to find others like that? Do you care if it's analysis or algebra (abstract or linear)?
>>
A purely algebraic solution to the other problem (symmetry of implies symmetry of A), sadly not as elegant.

First a lemma: for any real matrix X, if [math]X^TX=0[/math] then [math]X=0[/math] (by considering the diagonal elements of [math]X^TX[/math]). Hence for any two real matrices X and Y,
if [math]Y^TYX = 0[/math] then [math]0=X^TY^TYX= (YX)^T(YX)[/math] so [math]YX=0[/math]. -- (*)

Now symmetry of [math]AA^TA[/math] means that the ith columns equals (the transpose of) the ith row. Let [math]a_i[/math] denote the ith column of A, then we have that [math]AA^Ta_i = (a_i^TA^TA)^T = A^TAa_i[/math]. Stacking the n equations side by side, we find that [math]AA^TA = A^TAA[/math] so by symmetry, [math]A^TAA^T=A^TAA[/math] i.e. [math]A^TA(A^T-A)=0[/math] i.e. [math]A(A^T-A)=0[/math] i.e. [math]AA^T=A^2[/math] --(#).

Transposing both sides of (#) to get [math]AA^T = (A^T)^2[/math]. Postmultiply (#) by A to get [math]AA^TA = A^3 = A(A^2) = AA^TA^T[/math] i.e. [math]AA^T(A-A^T)=0[/math] i.e. [math]A^T(A-A^T)=0[/math] i.e. [math]A^TA = (A^T)^2[/math] ([math] = AA^T = A^2[/math]).

Having finally proved all four terms are equal, we can show that [math]X = A-A^T[/math] is 0. Simply note that [math]X^TX = (A^T-A)(A-A^T)[/math] which expands to the four terms and cancels to 0.
>>
>>8082352
>I think that's the right answer, it's pretty neat anon. Are you interested if I try to find others like that? Do you care if it's analysis or algebra (abstract or linear)?
I went to sleep so didn't see this for a while. I don't think I'll solve any more problems, I'll be busy with work. I don't know if this is the best website for these kinds of problems either, the thread could be archived and I don't know if there are some more active forums. Maybe you know of some?
On the other hand some other anon >>8082895 found a solution to the other problem, so maybe I'm just underestimating this site...
>>
>>8082352
The Putnam thing was fun. Why did that stop being posted?
>>
>>8082955
I think the people who have the highest potential don't post a lot, they just browse.
>>8083040
I can't remember. It was there, I took a break and when I came back it wasn't here anymore.
Do you prefer Putnam challege?
>>
>>8083104
Putnam is nice because they have new questions every day. I don't really care where the questions come from, though.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.