[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Physics Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: harvard_physics.png (296KB, 982x655px) Image search: [Google]
harvard_physics.png
296KB, 982x655px
Hey /sci/

I am going to be a freshman next year at a top 10 school in the USA, hoping to major physics.

Physics majors have Intro Series I, which can be completed in 3 semesters, and I will probably be able to get an A in it.

Then there is Intro Series II, which is very accelerated, takes two semesters, and is often described as the most difficult course on campus by both students and advisers. I would probably end up with a B in this course; it is very difficult to get an A.

Should I go for Intro Series I or Intro Series II? Does difficulty of your courses, especially the ones early in you undergrad career, matter for HYPS Grad Schools? Will it affect my internship opportunities with national laboratories, like Los Alamos? Will it affect my opportunities with professors?

I ask all this, because I am curious if all these elite institutions will pick from those attending the most advanced classes, like in high school, for amazing opportunities. I think I could perform at the top in Intro Series I, but I don't know how I would do in Intro Series II, I would probably be on more mediocre side.

Thanks in advance for the help.
>>
>>8080736

I don't think anyone cares what school you went to, or who's dick you sucked.

If you can do the job you're told to do, then that's all there ever needs to be.

Should've stuck with economics bro.
>>
>>8080736

Dammit OP. Do you realize how hyper-competitive physics is?

Any discovery that you make would've been made by someone else 10 minutes later.

For fuck's sake, if you're actually not a retard, work on something that actually matters, like nanotech or biotech or 3d printing or AI.

The last thing this world needs is more fucking physics majors.
>>
>>8080756
b-b-but the memes told me to do physics

I am interested in condensed matter physics and its industrial applications, and computer security.

I'm not doing it for the pop sci physics like cosmology and particle physics.
>>
>>8080736
How are you already basing your decisions on getting into a certain grad school when you haven't even started undergrad yet? Do whatever will help you learn physics better.
>>
>>8080772
The most successful people are the ones who plan for success, and are able to adjust on the fly as well.
>>
>>8080756
This. Choose a new field if you actually want to make an impact.

Also this smells of a dickwaving thread.
>"Look at me! I got into Harvard!"
Yeah so did Obama's daughter.
>>
>>8080780
No, the most successful people are the ones who love physics, learn a lot of it, and are talented, not the ones obsessed with prestige who try taking easier courses in order to inflate their GPA because they think that will get them to the most prestigious grad schools.
>>
>>8080782
Can I not do Physics undergrad and do something else for graduate school/not do theoretical physics and do something in industry like Elon Munsk?

>>8080783
Oh, I didn't mention in the OP, but I think I want to do MD/PhD program, which is why I have to consider about GPA, sorry.
>>
>>8080783
You need to have some order in your passion you dipshit, or else you won't be able to create order from disorder like Elon Munsk and Donald J. Trump do
>>
>>8080789
Thought you were interested in industrial applications and computer security? Anyways, if thats your goal, you'll also need good reference letters and research experience. Think about whats more likely to get you grants and shit. And then theres the whole idea that perhaps youre not cut out for the fucked up world of MD/Ph Ds if youre not taking the harder streams in your courseload (but who the fuck cares about that).

Id say take the harder stream. Itll be better for you. Your profs will have more respect for you and that actually makes up for the marginal difference in difficulty.
>>
>>8080909
Thanks. Anyone else would like to share their thoughts on this?

Any opinion on career paths to follow with a Bachelor's in Physics?
>>
buuuump
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.