[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: space-elevator-slingshot-thingy.png (212KB, 4544x2444px) Image search: [Google]
space-elevator-slingshot-thingy.png
212KB, 4544x2444px
What do you guys think?
>>
>>8073159
it's as dumb as you are
>>
>>8073196
B-but which part?
>>
is the blue mist the singularity?
>>
>>8073210
You won't be able to achieve enough velocity. The balloons won't be able to hold enough mass. The tethers will be unstable under load.
>>
>>8073159
Any idea that you have to draw in fucking MSPaint is a terrible one.

I don't really know whether to begin with your magic dragonforce level tensile strength cables or your magic motor who's mechanism and energy supply is remains a mystery. You can't use modern materials because torsional strain would rip it apart in secons so you'll need high density (but probably no material can hold the torsions you'll need) which means it'll will be heavy, don't say "let's add more balloons lol" because yeah what you need is more fucking strain on that monstrosity,

Don't pretend you're anywhere near writing a thesis yet, if you were then your dreams would've already been crushed by your undegrad education.
>>
>>8073159
It's a paint drawing, where is the math?
>>
>>8073212
It's not meant to reach full escape velocity, only to get the rocket as high and as fast as it is feasible to minimize fuel usage. I know my vector mechanics anon, escape velocity would mean like thousands of miles of cable just to keep it under 10G, not ideal.
>>8073217
The load on the vertical cables is distributed with several balloons which I didn't bother to draw. I mean I just got the idea yesterday, cut me some slack.
The torque is a problem of course, so counterweight measures are in order such as synchronizing multiple launches keeping the load in mind, or hell you can put turbines on the thing if it comes to that (which you hold up with balloons because I love putting balloons on everything).
And no I'm not pretending this is for my actual thesis you stupid bitch, I'm just stressing out how unreasonable it is to expect blueprints on a 20 minute MS Paint drawing.
>>8073218
I'll churn something up later if I can picture something more solid, for now it is just a delicate illusion of a dream I'm just beginning to entertain.

I am however honestly pessimistic about the tethers being able to withstand the tensile forces, so maybe I'll just end up using a placeholder carbon nanotube fantasy material that might exist in the future probably.
>>
>>8073251
>I mean I just got the idea yesterday, cut me some slack.
> I'm just stressing out how unreasonable it is to expect blueprints on a 20 minute MS Paint drawing.
I don't care, it should be drawn up in vector graphics with at least some back of the envelope calculations in support. This paintshit is atrocious and if you're not a fucking amatuer it would've been faster to do it properly anyway. This is just lazy and it ends up costing you more time because you expected you could show this to autists without them bitching about it.

>The load on the vertical cables is distributed with several balloons which I didn't bother to draw.
That doesn't make a difference actually you could use several cables or one balloon with one very thick cable the strain is distributed against some cross section it doesn't change my original complaint you need some finite cross section where your main station can both fit and not strain the cables past its tensile strength.

>The torque is a problem of course, so counterweight measures are in order such as synchronizing multiple launches keeping the load in mind, or hell you can put turbines on the thing if it comes to that (which you hold up with balloons because I love putting balloons on everything).
I don't think I understand your idea here correctly, but that will just increase the gradient of the shear stress profile as I understand it.
>>
>>8073276
Look I am more than ok with you guys ripping this concept to shreds, in fact it's why I made this thread because I like doing reality checks. But if you're gonna keep criticizing my drawing skill we're gonna have to take this to /ic/.

Now, I did fuck up when I said the balloons will distribute the load, that's only true for everything that's under the floating station which isn't much but still contributes. I'll stick to the placeholder fantasy cable for now since I'm not sure yet how much the station itself should weight because it depends on the altitude, and that depends on the main array of balloons and some other stuff. In fact everything here depends on how you're gonna scale it. The ultimate goal is obviously to reach space, but a smaller model could work for short flights just as well. I could even build a functional model on my back yard to launch paper planes or something.

>I don't think I understand your idea here correctly, but that will just increase the gradient of the shear stress profile as I understand it.

Do you know those helicopters that have two pairs of rotor blades spinning in opposite directions? Well something like that, for every pound you launch in one direction, you simultaneously launch another pound in the opposite direction. That's the basic idea anyway, I might have to reconsider it but since everything is just a sketch at this point it's not a problem.
>>
>>8073159
That if I had your free time I'd be a nicer and happier human being.
>>
>>8073387
>>8073387
You wouldn't have much then, I just had to wait for some molds to set and got bored. There's no such thing as free time when you're 28 anyway, it's all on sale/trade.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.