[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 13

File: ezgif-3048207736.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif-3048207736.gif
4MB, 480x270px
What's your ideal career?
What's your career plan?
Where are you right now?
Where will you be next year?
>>
>>8058447
>What's your ideal career?
Research Scientist at Google/DeepMind/OpenAI
>What's your career plan?
Get a MSc and then see if I can get a good research job and perhaps do a part-time PhD
>Where are you right now?
Finishing my undergrad in like a month
>Where will you be next year?
Starting my MSc in machine learning
>>
Research chemist in a big company which has strong R&D departments
or
Consulting in McKinsey/Bain/BCG (if I'm bored of benchwork and if I am good enough to be hired...)
PhD, then maybe PostDoc if I am good enough to go in a top-notch research group, then research in the industry or consulting
End of my MSc in chemistry
I will start a PhD in September
>>
>>8058456
Research Scientist at Google/DeepMind/OpenAI
Get a PhD in AI and solve the problem of Intelligence
Starting my MSc in my machine learning in September
Hopefully not in the dumpster FeelsBadMan.jpg
>>
>>8058493
Hey back off that's my career. Where are you doing your MSc? I accepted at Imperial
>>
>>8058447
I hope my country implements UBI. My ideal career is to spend 12 hours a day in VR.
>>
>>8058495
Sorry mate, it's my childhood dream to build an army of robots to take over the world. I got accepted into University of Alberta. Will try hard to get into Richard Sutton Lab :^)
>>
Civil engineer in the United States
Get my engineering Bsc in the UK while interning in the US during summers ultimately trying to get a job in the US
A NEET who does physics in his spare time
At university
>>
>>8058504
Why not Toronto/Hinton's lab? In any case, I'll solve general artificial intelligence before y'all and then open source it and watch the show develop.
>>
>>8058518
Not him but Sutton is basically the founder of reinforcement learning. Like 50% of people at Deepmind are his PhD students
>>
Writer and i dabble in philosophy and visual mathematics
Keep writing till i write something that sells
Writing something i think might sell
Hopefully rolling in money as the next JK
>>
>>8058447
>what's your ideal career

owner of my own watchmaking company

>what's your career plan

1.start at a company like rolex, swatch group, cartier. R&D and supply chain will be my main focus.
2.Build relationships with people with different sets of competences
3.leave to start my own business and bring some of those people with me

>Where are you right now
End of double master's degree (EE/microengineering)

>Where will you be next year

hopefully in one of the aforementionned companies, or a similar one.
>>
>>8058518
Because University of Alberta was the only choice that I had at the time without waiting 1 year before starting MSc and Reinforcement Learning in UoA is top-notch.
> solve general artificial intelligence
Great, prepare for a Turing Award and possibly a Field Medal. Every man can dream.
>>
>>8058525
Fair point, though from what I seen on LinkedIn, lots of DM guys are from UCL/Cambridge

>>8058533
>prepare for a Turing Award and possibly a Field Medal.
Born ready. You'll hear back from me in about 30 years
>>
>>8058527
>visual mathematics
>>
bump for inspiration
>>
>>8058447
No idea and I don't have one.

Finished my M.Sc last year, now I'm working in middle management.

Somewhere in or around Cambodia, going travelling around the world next year with my gf and a couple of friends.
>>
>>8058447
R&D for big petroleum/plastics companies working on thermophysical modelling and polymer material science. Also owning my own small manufacturing company eventually.
Pray that the oil price rises before I graduate.
Just finishing up my masters, get three quality publications out.
Unemployed probably.
>>
>>8059049
>get three quality publications out.
The fuck, how? Where?
>>
>>8059051
Not that guy, but a masters thesis needs to be a large body of original research, provided it's done to a good degree of quality squeezing at least one publication out of it should be easy.
>>
>>8059056
Yeah but not 3.

Also master's degrees in UK are one year :/
>>
>>8059051
I technically only need one to graduate, but in solving my original problem I also made a lot of publishable discoveries in fields related to my original work. I'm not funded for the other two, but it's impressed my adviser to no end so I'll see it through since I don't have any offers or time to do a PhD anyway.

>>8059059
I've been here for almost a year now.
>>
Movie director seems neat.
>>
>>8059085
Damn man you're a riot. Give us some advice to be you
>>
Banker
>>
>>8058516

Good luck with those units, you can get away with metric in school, but it won't help you in civil engineering in the US.
>>
>>8058447

I'm 100% set on this right now. I want to work on scientific and mathematical software.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this but I guess graduate with my degree in mathematics and then start applying for jobs in computational science labs. After that climb the ladder.

Currently a student of mathematics which is not much but I am also a part timer working on financial software. Hopefully that work experience will carry me and allow me to make the job from finance to science.

Literally in the same position but I suppose with a longer resume and better pay.

I used to care a bit about being a professor of mathematics but then I found out that my PhD professors make much less than my dad who is only a BEng so now that I can see clearly that industry is the only way to go I can focus on that.

To sum it up, I want to be an industry mathematician.
>>
>>8059245
>to work on scientific and mathematical software.
What does that mean? Develop stuff like scikit and Matlab? Or do you mean work *with* scientific software? To do what?
>>
>>8059188
If you want to be me all you need to do is work 10 hours a day, seven days per week including public holidays.

Here's some better advice: don't be me, enjoy life and work on sending out CVs to actually get employed.
>>
>>8059251
>work 10 hours a day, seven days per week including public holidays.
How can you even do that without burning out? If I work 8h/day for 10 days, the 11th day I can barely get anything done. I thought it's human nature to need breaks
>>
>>8059249
>Develop stuff like scikit and Matlab?

This would be good but I am more interested in doing simulations.

For what I can see, big aerospace companies have entire teams working on these so there is a market I can target, but I wouldn't want to reduce myself to only one industry.

> do you mean work *with* scientific software?

I mean exclusively develop, I really don't care about doing any kind of applied work to find actual answers, I just want to do general work in the tools that others may use.

To specify now that I see how my words could be confused, I also develop financial software, not use financial software myself.
>>
>>8058447

> What's your ideal career?

Game Developer / Lead Architect for games

> What's your career plan?

Founding my own studio and just making games.

> Where are you right now?

Working full time as a Web Dev for some Medical company while working on my games on the side. I absolutely have no free time. I want out of this place, so I dedicate my entire time on game dev.

> Where will you be next year?

Probably still working as a webdev for my company... Pay is real good tho.
>>
>>8059256
Maybe contributing to open-source scientific kits could benefit your resume (e.g. https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/issues )
>>
>>8059085
Why don't you have time for a PhD?
>>
>>8058447
academia or whatever will allow me to research and teach about behavioral ecology in the post-university future
get masters, work in conservation management or environmental consulting for a few years, go on a vision quest and decide what to do my PhD in
seasonal field job starts in a week
masters program starting in September
>>
>What's your ideal career
Applied Mathematician or some line of work in industry that requires something research level. But really I just want a fulfilling job
Studying for a return to academia, already talked with former professors and keep in touch.
>Graduated 4 months ago with a BA in Math, 3.85 GPA with a Comp Sci minor. Working in web dev for an insurance company, it's soul crushing, but I am able to pay my undergraduate loans off and I had to get orthodontics, so I have to bide my time until then.
I'm essentially teaching myself graduate school at the moment, hopefully at my pace in a year I'll be through C* algebras but that depends which topics I jump around to.
>>
>>8059258
>Pay is real good tho.
How much and what city if you don't mind sharing?
>>
>>8058447
National Lab researcher or Professor
Do a PhD in Computational Science Engineering
Graduating with a bachelors in Math and CS next week. Suma cum laude.
In a PhD program
>>
>>8059259
I actually never considered this before, it is a really good idea, thank you.

I'll bookmark the link and see some Saturday what I can jump into.
>>
>>8059256
You could also check out the national labs. LLNL and ORNL certainly have people working on that.
>>
>>8059254
Sleep 8 hours and workout for 2 hours every morning, try to maintain a decent diet as far as possible. As long as you maintain your health you don't need any "breaks" other than sleep.
>>
>>8059261
I need to be registered for a minimum of 3 years here and if I go to another university I'd have to start a project from scratch.

I need money fast and stipends/TAships don't pay well.
>>
>>8059276
Unfortunately I'm not from any big country like the US.

I'm primarily hoping that the science 'industry' grows bigger in my country in the next 2 - 4 years because I do not think travel is for me.
>>
Ideal: Aerodynamic engineer at Lockheed or Boeing.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find schools that offer that degree. Settled for EE, will try for the same companies.

Now, I'm knocking out 200- level classes at a community college. Year from now, will be a junior at a university.
>>
>>8059281
Wtf your uni doesn't accept students from other places?

What do you need the money for if you don't mind responding?
>>
>>8059265

I work in Burbank. Get paid 45 shekels. That's all I'm willing to disburse info.
>>
>>8059286
I get that. It's hard for me to travel with my girlfriend of 3 years wanting to stay in Georgia.

But you should know that they have quite a few foreign nationals working at the labs. I've interned at LLNL and they have lots of Indians, Germans, Greeks, and more. Could be a great opportunity.
>>
>>8059359
>letting your gf holding you back
>>
>>8059318
No it does (most of my department is actually foreign students), you need to be registered for a minimum after STARTING your PhD.

So if I started it now, despite the fact that I have the coursework covered and would only need ~1-2 years to have enough original research for my PhD thesis I couldn't actually get my degree untill after the minimum period.

>What do you need the money for if you don't mind responding?
It's hard to explain. I don't have any debt. It's just all my friends who went straight into industry are getting married, buying houses or otherwise moving on with their life while I feel stuck as a poorfag student.

What really got to me is when I met up with one of the girls in my graduating class the other day who used to have an obvious intense crush on me, but during our date it she looked down at me.

It's tough to be a male without money in this world and I'm not getting any younger. I pretty much went from being one of the most respected people in my graduating class to one of the least.

My reasons might sound stupid, but I really wish I went straight into industry now.
>>
>>8059359
There is no one holding me back from travelling, I just kinda like where I live.

Hint: Geographically small tropical country, population: 3 million

Big city life sounds kinda like shit compared to this.

Still, I know and speak perfect english and have my passport so if my perspective changes or I get a crazy opportunity then I'd take it.
>>
>>8059376
LLNL and ORNL are not in big cities. But perhaps your definition of big city is different.

But I agree that living in a big city is shit.
>>
>>8059364
Yeah but I love her, ya know?
I'm still starting a CSE PhD at a top 10 school next year. So I'm doing okay.
>>
>>8059387
It's Georgia Tech. Already pretty much gave it away
>>
>>8058447
What's your ideal career?
Nothing. Just traveling the world and doing math.
What's your career plan?
I don't have one
Where are you right now?
Undergrad
Where will you be next year?
Still Undergrad. Also an internship at somewhere not to be named.
>>
>>8059262
Neat anon

What kind of seasonable job is it
>>
>>8058447
Astronaut.
Hope to get selected for Mars One.
Waiting and playing vidya.
Waiting and playing vidya.
>>
Entrepreneur
Expand my professional network
Develop a software solution for companies
Sell the solution
Postdoc working on industry projects
Finishing the postdoc. Going solo, or joining a consultancy
>>
>>8059367
You sound like a normalfag with normalfag necessities.

I wish I was like you.
>>
>>8059367
>It's hard to explain
It's called peer pressure.

> I pretty much went from being one of the most respected people in my graduating class to one of the least.
I'm not really following. It sounds like you did a BSc, and now you're in your first year of your MSc at which you've been doing great. What's wrong? Do you just regret doing your MSc? You're still under 25 no?
>>
>>8059432
why do you need a postdoc do be an entrepreneur lol
>>
>>8059476
I don't, but I get access to people and data. Acceptable pay, low requirements on scientific output, so I can do my own things several hours per day.
>>
>>8059491
in what world is postdoc acceptable pay? how much do you make?
>>
>>8059470
It's not really peer pressure so much as constant malaise.

>You're still under 25 no?
I'm 23. That doesn't sound old, but most girls my age are not still single, there's usually something wrong with the ones that are.

>What's wrong?
There are people my age working in service/cleaners etc. earning more than I do. I spent 5 years investing into one of the worst professional job markets in the modern economy. My best prospects for the future is a slightly higher stipend and ego boosts from the few old men that actually understand my work.

As much as I love the work I also need to eat at some point.
>>
>>8059503
>>I'm 23. That doesn't sound old, but most girls my age are not still single, there's usually something wrong with the ones that are.
Are you asian or something? Most people at 23 still fuck around on Tinder, especially boys
>>
>>8059513
Why are asians different? Just curious
>>
>>8059513
Western european. I actually don't know anyone promiscuous, I assumed it was a hollywood thing. I've been on tinder once all the girls were ugly bimbos I don't see the point.
>>
>>8059528
>Western european
>I actually don't know anyone promiscuous,

This is either a lie or impressive self deception.

>all the girls were ugly bimbos I don't see the point

Imma go with the latter.
>>
>>8059521
Just cultural differences and different system of values. At least from my experience, the asian girls I've dated always brought up marriage sooner than I found necessary, and were always using other asian friends as examples.

>>8059528
>I assumed it was a hollywood thing
lol. Maybe try OKCupid, but make sure you can handle rejection
>>
>>8059497
$60k p.a. somewhere in Europe
>>
>>8059536
>>8059540
You two are assuming quite a lot about my sex life and romantic history, but lets just pretend for a second I have no interest in fucking random bimbos and actually want a partner who isn't retarded to the point of being a chore to maintain.
>>
>>8059554
>Math and CS double major
>tech support
why
>>
File: 1453496752246.jpg (28KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1453496752246.jpg
28KB, 720x720px
Be a musician who can support himself off his music.
Work in tech to support me as I fuck around with music.
Finishing my Math and Comp Sci double major.
Doing my masters or working.
>>
>>8059559
I said work in tech to support myself.
Not tech support.
>>
>>8059561
lol ok sorry anon.
why do you wanna do a masters though? it doesn't really help in software engineering
>>
>>8059551
Before taxes. Which are like 40% of that.
>>
File: 1458077919455.jpg (127KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1458077919455.jpg
127KB, 960x640px
>>8058447
Being a badass TIG welder.
Gitting gud at TIG welding.
At welding school.
At a welding shop.

I'm a simple man.
>>
File: depression.jpg (40KB, 392x395px) Image search: [Google]
depression.jpg
40KB, 392x395px
>>8059562
Helps with job opportunities a little, and it'll help smooth the bridge if I ever have gaps in employment due to my interests outside of work.

Atleast they'll know I'm not an undedicated cuck.
>>
>tfw i need to make money so i can't pursue a phd
>>
>>8059560
>>8059574
More images like this?
>>
>ideal career?
Senior scientist / principal scientist in industry
>career plan?
Finish a PhD at a UC and go to the east coast for work.
>where are you right now?
Just graduated B.Sc. Biochemistry, preparing to start PhD in the fall for inorganic chem/materials
>where will you be next year?
Starting a PhD in materials/inorganic chem
>>
File: 1453782119027.gif (972KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
1453782119027.gif
972KB, 500x344px
>>8058447
I don't think I ever figured that out. Though if I had to guess probably being a code monkey.
Right now it's to move up to some government regulatory department
Working in the regulatory department of a perfume company
Either back in school for computer engineering or comp sci or working as a regulator at some pharma/ environmental/ chemical company.

Worse comes to I'd either kill myself or go back to bench work. The later is obviously the worst choice.
>>
File: 1461112765158.jpg (47KB, 470x334px) Image search: [Google]
1461112765158.jpg
47KB, 470x334px
>>8059741
>>
File: DgcStGJ.png (106KB, 253x283px) Image search: [Google]
DgcStGJ.png
106KB, 253x283px
What do I need to study to research life extention? Is it too late to go to university if I'm already 21 years old? I didnt wanted to make a new thread and this one seemed related
>>
>>8058447
Running a green energy company with technical background.
Hopefully work in the private sector for a few years after my BS then go to grad school.
>Where are you now? && >Where will you be next year?
Getting an undergrad in Energy&Enviro policy.
>>
>>8060300
When I was 18 I tried college and got 3 straight semesters of all F's
I started again at 21 and in the fall I'm transferring to UCLA as a physics major
One of the better physics schools in the entire world
You can do it
>>
>>8059306
What do electric and magnetic fields have to do with aerodynamics, other than vector calculus?
>>
>>8060342

>>8060315 here, that really gives me hope, anon. I did something very similar and really needed to hear something like that. Thank you. so glad there's hope yet...
>>
>>8060349
planes are not just big metal cans that are thrown in the air.

The quantity of electronics and software is enormous.
>>
>mfw no one in this thread will achieve their dreams
>>
>>8060300
Molecular biology is the best. If not that, biochemistry. If not those, biophysics.
>>
>>8060798
?
you're retarded
>>
>>8060825
delusional AND bitter wow
>>
File: retroGridAnimated.gif (23KB, 560x315px) Image search: [Google]
retroGridAnimated.gif
23KB, 560x315px
>>8058447
Research biogerontology/ life extension.
Get SENS internship, acquire PhD, open to suggestions
lowly freshman B.biotechnology
second year

What do you guys think?
>>
>>8058447
Research Scientist and Entrepreneur
Get BMLSc, and a PhD
Learning property investment from my mother, and in the process for applying for university. Doing a small health science course, and correspondence science subjects.
At university doing my undergraduate degree
>>
>>8060798
One can only try.
>>
File: ayy.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
Research in industry (quant finance, etc) where I get paid mad stacks rather than be a cuck for some professor.
Get BS, MS and PhD if I can at a good school
A relatively high ranking university that is screwing me over with its (somewhat) good justification in treating its undergraduate population as a bunch of retards.
Same place.
>>
>>8058447
Hoverbike magnate
Study something vocational at university, use loan to build hoverbike, if it flops fall back on vocational degree.
Building drone prototype, baiting /sci/ because bored and a long wait for funding.
Hopefully doing the degree and raking in $$$ with my hoverbike prototype on kickstarter
>>
>>8061139
>A relatively high ranking university that is screwing me over with its (somewhat) good justification in treating its undergraduate population as a bunch of retards.
What's happening?
>>
>>8059277
How do you workout for 2 hours in the morning? Do you just wake up at 7 and workout until 9? What do you do as part of your workout?
>>
Smoke weed all day/Self employed
Go to uni, go travelling in Europe, end up back in Estonia
Conscription
In uni or travelling Europe(if I don't get in uni)
>>
>>8060877
I am literally in the same boat except i am in an associates program so i am starting off in probably a worse place than you. Community college and stem rarely mix but the head of my major cares a lot and somehow has a good placement in the biotech industry. I am shooting for genetics down the road but for now i am flat broke and probably wont be able to do my bachelor's for a while
>>
>>8060877
>>8061350

Keep fighting the good fight lads
>>
Renewable energy

Finish B. Tech and find an inernship along the way to garner work experience.

Jr. Year. loving my major

Almost done. Part of me wants to travel Europe and get my MSc so who knows what the future holds.
>>
>>8059571
i wish i was a simple man :(
Would make the decision to drop out much easier
>>
>>8061464
>implying you are not a simple man who deludes himself to think he's more than that
>>
Consultant (medicine)
Probably going to work in a QA lab unless I decide to pursue graduate entry medicine (doing chemistry atm)
2nd year of university
3rd year of university
>>
>>8060300
Nope, I started at 22.
>>
>>8061589
I will revise that I am a simple man, however, I must contest that I would not be happy by being a welder for example. There is just so much to see, experience, and achieve, and I do not believe that I could do that while being a welder.
>>
File: lockheed fusion.png (201KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
lockheed fusion.png
201KB, 400x200px
>tfw i had my dream job and was on my way to the perfect career path before graduating
>tfw the offer was rescinded
pic related, would have been an engineer doing plasma diagnostics and blanket design. fuck everything. had a phone interview last week with a place thats building a brand new plasma physics lab to do ionosphere and fusion experiments, but it's not the same.
>>
>>8061815
why did it get rescinded
>>
>>8061842
idk, some bullshit "restructuring" of the team. it wasn't anything to do with my clearance because i got an email like 3 days after it got rescinded saying the DoD accepted my security application, and theyre required to tell you if your clearance is denied. fucking depressing
>>

Being part of the artistic or design side of an aerospace engineering job. Using coding, 3d modeling, and or drawing on the job. I want to find out what working in Japan is like. Still have not looked much into electrical, civil, nuclear, or petroleum engineering.

Constantly learning about science and math. Trying to build connections with as many professors and students as possible. Make a bitchin' portfolio. Internships, research, gpa. Get fluent in japanese.

Staying up at 1 am every night reading about science and math.

Doing more schoolwork. But still hope to have free time.

>>8061852
Hope everything works out for you.
>>
>>8061852
if you got that offer, you'll find something better in a year if you keep improving
>>
>>8058447
<insert your "cool" looking career here>

<insert your mind-shattering masterplan here>

4chan

4chan
>>
File: 9586ed22.jpg (640KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
9586ed22.jpg
640KB, 1000x1000px
someone help please.

musician

i'm trying to figure that out. i have a lot of options but i need to explain the next one first.

undergrad physics major in top US stem university. currently a junior. grades are pretty good, good gre scores. i have a technical report published under eecs department back when i was tryna double in cs. im currently doing graphene research but i don't really like solid state because my dad beat me as a kid and he did semiconductor stuff when that industry peaked and i lowkey hate him which is why im trying to do something else and also why im making music. i know i'm an idiot, teen heartthrob, dont waste the stem potential on an angsty phase, i know ive heard it all. but i really feel a calling.

so i need a dayjob while i grind on my music because i know getting good at music takes awhile in order to make money off doing shows. i have a lot of math and cs under my belt, good internship one summer, good independent projects too. so here's what i'm considering

>physics phd
stick to the current route, but i dont wanna spend 6 more years in academia. i want money and spare time. but also because i hate my dad i'll probably end up choosing biophysics over something lucrative like the idiot i am.
>quant
plenty of money, no spare time to work on music. plus i might feel like a sellout.
>ms in cs
i don't know how easy it is to make this transition. i have half a cs minor (3 classes) and some work experience, but importantly lots of coding experience. should i take more cs classes? i'm considering this because a job as a software engineer is money and spare time.

what do you think? any other options?
also does your answer change when you replace my first answer with "asian rapper"
it sounds dumb but im not making anything up i really need advice. i have the drive to do anything but my passion is really in music.
>>
>>8062488
also i'm not an idiot coffeeshop hipster who pretends to be a starving artist. i understand the work i need to put in to be a musician. i put out a mixtape last summer and it sucked, but i've constantly been making more and more, even getting better at produciton and mastering. none of it is release worthy yet, at best im still early childish gambino when he sounded like a cringey suburban rapper. also if you have tips for sounding less suburban, gimme that because i dont wanna be another hoodie allen. yknow how he usedta work at google and all that shit

actually i probably wont listen to /sci/'s opinion about music anyways. just give me advice about stem stuff
>>
>>8062488
>physics phd
>quant
>ms in cs
You won't have time to do music seriously with any of these.
>>
File: 1328236643644.jpg (25KB, 510x384px) Image search: [Google]
1328236643644.jpg
25KB, 510x384px
>Ideal Career
Working in a pharmacy position at a hospital or working for some pharma company, wherever life takes me first I guess
>Career plan
I'd like to get some little technician job at a CVS or something right now, I know it's shit but I'd like to have some sort of background outside of furniture retail
Studying Biology at a Community College, trying to decide if I want to go into a biochemistry program when i transfer or a chemistry bachelors with a focus on pharmaceuticals
W-we're all gonna make it, right? I don't even want six figures, I just want a comfy job.
>>
>>8062526
how about music on the back burner for 2 years while i get the ms, then work as a software developer. would i have enough time then? i should have enough energy compared to artists whose dayjobs are something worse. if not, then what?

also what if the only way to truly be inspired to make good art is to struggle and not have a comfy day job?
>>
>>8062561
How are you going to get time off to tour? I have friends who stuck with the music thing, and they can't hold steady jobs. You have to be able to do live shows to be relevant.
>>
Any type of engineering (minus mechanical) or physics.

Join navy nuke nuke program to start the training while getting paid and gain experience from.

Living with family unemployed :|

Hopefully basic training, still waiting on that clearance...
>>
>>8062579
Same guy here, if anyone can give me more information on the nuke program like what the average day is like, worst day, and best day as well please. Just so I know what Im getting myself into
>>
>>8062579
>>8062585
Ask /k/ on /meg/, I remember reading posts from a couple guys who did it.
>>
>>8062570
damn. haven't thought about that. i mean right now i'm focused on becoming relevant in the first place, and i thought that when the time comes i'll just ditch my day job and go full time. but i guess i gotta take a big risk huh.
>>
Researcher in genetics/genomics, maybe investigating pluripotency gene regulatory networks.

Do my masters then do a phd.

About to complete my bsc in genetics in a couple of weeks.

About to finish my masters, also in genetics.
>>
>>8062476
epic
>>
Park ranger at a cool park

Dropout and travel with my gf while she goes to graduate school

just finished first year of college, worthless cs major

browsing 4chan
>>
>>8062530
its good to hear i am not alone in the biology (biotech) community college world. People here are a bit judgy around colleges. But we will make it to the same place anyways it might just take longer. My plan is to start working for a biotech company and have my bachelor's subsidised by the company its more common than you think
>>
>>8062861
>People here are a bit judgy around colleges
Don't I know it, but CC is a fantastic money saver. You'll spend a year or two getting your basics out of the way at any college anyways, might as well do it for 1/4th of the cost. Especially here in NY, it's the difference between paying $60,000 and about $10,000 just for general shit. I plan to start looking at different companies around here once I transfer out next spring.
>>
>>8061376
Canadian?
>>
>>8061350
Reality suck man.
In middle school, I realized that I wanted to do a lot of things and there would not be enough time in my life to do all of them. For example, I always wanted to be an painter, and I always wanted to be a game programmer.

So I decided study biotechnology to research life extension. I don't know what is more stupid, wasting my youth in a seemingly fruitless search for life extension, or going into art school.
>>
>>8062628
> Park ranger at a cool park
lol you too?
>>
>ideal career
I want to be a business owner. I want to manufacture/fabricate things and invent/create and sell my own things on the side, probably related to the firearms industry.

>career plan
Finish bachelor's in mechanical engineering (minor undetermined), possibly take gunsmithing classes until I feel like I have a good idea what I'm doing. Get a stable job with the highest income I can find. Establish multiple streams of income (perhaps a small side business or something), invest wisely, live as frugally as possible, saving money until I have enough capital to start a successful business of my own. Slowly, carefully switch from full-time to part-time to quitting my regular job as income from my business becomes more and more reliable and steady. I understand my business may never succeed, despite my best efforts. If that happens, I will stay at my steady job until retirement.

>now
Almost ready to transfer to a 4-year university. I have a working prototype of my first invention and several potential investors. I need to: patent, FORMALLY test (likely by county sherriff's dept), see if I can find more inexpensive materials to manufacture it out of, and find a way to mass-produce them more quickly (although that's just a matter of convenience, I'll only need maybe 100-250 at a time, it's just tedious to make that many by myself).

>next year
Hopefully at 4-year college and one step closer to patenting/selling my first product.
>>
>>8058532
What kind of watches do u have?
>>
>>8058447
Living in the middle of the woods tripping with people who bring me food.
Maybe
Cogsci to Nautropathy to a trip to Peru
Working with fungi and the best cannabis in the world.
Here, maybe working with the keys to heaven.
>>
>>8062476
haha u sure showed everyone itt anon
>>
>>8062488
>someone help please.
>
>>What's your ideal career?
>musician

this is /sci/ bro. ask on /mu/ if you want to become bandcamp musician #132577
>>
>>8058447

1) Getting welfare cheques
2) Doing 1) till I die
3) /sci/
4) /b/
>>
>>8062628
how is a cs major worthless
>>
Stupid question incoming:

Is Computational Science and Engineering (or Scientific Computing) a good area to get into at the moment? I'm thinking about it because it isn't as mainstream as something like CS or muh data science

I mean, I think it's pretty cool to create models and simulations for a wide variety of phenomena out there. Stuff like computational electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, semiconductor physics, bioinformatics, etc. You can basically work in research in any field which should make it easy to get a post doc or grad school or something (right?).

And outside of academia, I'm sure banks and financial institutions would love to run simulations and test models using the same techniques (finite element, finite difference method, MCMC, etc).

I'm considering spending the last 2 years of my computer engineering degree taking courses in convex optimization, stochastic processes, numerical methods, PDEs, parallel programming, signal processing, markov chain modeling.

All of that stuff on top of algorithms, operating systems, FPGAs.

Is this a good idea?
>>
>>8063286

Dude you and everyone else is getting a CS degree right now. Go over to /g/. Go pretty much anywhere on social media and everyone that's doing "engineering" is getting a CS degree. Shit is saturated to the fullest, and I say this as a CS major. I'm probably going to try and get an MBA or get into Med School because I can already tell I'm going to be fucked on job prospects.
>>
>>8063307
And as someone who's finishing CS BSc in a few days, I say you're full of shit. I got internships that pay more than the average adult, and I have a bunch of high-paying graduate offers. And this is only as a software engineering, career in which I have no interest and is sometimes rumored to be "saturated". Maybe saturated for incompetent grads who run Windows and can't wrap their head around how git works.

That being said, I'm going into research anyway cause I don't like code monkeys
>>
>>8062923
Nope, American. Want to live in Northern Regions so Canada would be nice, as well as nordic countries.
>>
>>8063313

And you probably went to Stanford or Duke or some shit. Most of us are not going to a school like that, richfag.
>>
>>8063318
Most of you are incompetent. Cry more
>>
>>8063320

Where did you go to school?
>>
>>8063325
Cambridge

inb4 >hurrr durrr privilege etc poor me fuck the system

Get a grip before it's too late
>>
>>8063318
Pretty sure most of those schools provide need based aid, senpai.

>muh lack of money excuse
>>
>>8063334

>need based
>parents have to make less than 20-30k year
>not considered independent adult until 24 by financial aid standards

>>8063328

>Cambridge

I rest my case. You're in the UK, you went to one of the two best schools. It's a bit different here in America, "mate".
>>
>>8063338
for stanford, its less than 65k a year apparently

http://financialaid.stanford.edu/undergrad/how/index.html
>>
>>8063343

Most middle class families make more than that yet middle class parents aren't going to pay for your college, so you're screwed.

Is that for in state or out of state? Out of state is like 50k year. So like 250k in loans, if the government will even give it to you.
>>
>>8063353
yep. in this situation. went to community college/worked full time to save up money and now at uni. pretty content tho.
>>
>>8063353
according to the website, 125-155k family income a year still gets you 40k aid with 90% success rate

>Is that for in state or out of state? Out of state is like 50k year.

>what is a private university
>>
1. 50m/yr
2. Go back to uni.
3. Manager of pizza Chain, 3rd shift at grocery store, street pharmacist. 80hrs/w, bring in 1,700usd a week.
>>
>>8063363

Huh, I still wouldn't have received any but that's interesting. My dad made like 400k a year but he was a cheapskate.
>>
>>8063366
>implying you would've even got accepted
>>
>>8063370

I got into Cornell and Tulane but yeah you're probably right. I didn't apply either though.
>>
>>8063371
>cornell
>tulane

those places are just as expensive
>>
>>8063374

I ended up going to CC because money
>>
>>8058447
>what's your ideal career
Working in research, no idea yet what field
>career plan
Finish college, put in two years at Uni to earn a bachelors, then postgrad education. Still not sure whether I want to do Chemistry, biochem, something in physics or medical science. Help.
>where will you be next year
Hopefully still in college and having been accepted to a bachelors of my choice.
>>
>>8058447
Idfk, but I'd like it to be mostly work from home and with ample free time
Front-end web developer
inb4 >not sci
Finished a mostly-funded by my school 2 years at community college, been out for 5 months and doing a little stuff here and there on my free time but mostly nowhere
Probably here
RIP dreams
>>
>>8063135
can I bring you food
>>
>>8058447
network engineer/cyber security
do that in the air force until I get out and can get a job in the private sector
2 years out of college with a computer networking bachelors degree, a shit resume, and a week away from boot camp going into open electrical (i know, i should have just waited for a job i want but i don't want to sit around waiting another 6 months in a shitty dead end job feeling like i want to kill myself)
Hopefully finishing my training in one of those fields and moving to a base to do them
Thread posts: 163
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.