[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FTL Travel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: mass relay.png (187KB, 639x354px) Image search: [Google]
mass relay.png
187KB, 639x354px
How do we reach faster than light travel, whether it'd be traveling across the Sol System, to sailing across the galaxy? How do we do all this without the negative effects of time dilation?
>>
>>8057785
become lighter than light

/thread
>>
There is no way to travel faster than light itself, however a shortcut in space such as a wormhole can make it seem like you travel faster than light. Since you are taking a shortcut you will reach your destination far before light can do so (not counting the light that moves also through the wormhole). This is still not travelling faster than light but just reaching your destiny before light does.
>>
File: bam.gif (495KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
bam.gif
495KB, 500x280px
>>8057785
We had this same exact thread earlier this week:
>>8046456
>>
>>8057799
>Since you are taking a shortcut you will reach your destination far before light can do so (not counting the light that moves also through the wormhole). This is still not travelling faster than light but just reaching your destiny before light does.
We covered this in the last thread.

>>8046547
>any form of FTL involves a situation where, in some frame of reference, you arrive at your destination before you leave your point of origin.
>NO, it doesn't just look that way because you see distant objects as they were in the past.
>NO, this doesn't involve the Lorenz transform, so warp drive, wormholes, etc are not immune.
>And no, GR doesn't prohibit this, but causality does.
>https://www.google.com/search?q=relativity+of+simultaneity
>>
File: 1397357299257.jpg (52KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
1397357299257.jpg
52KB, 500x419px
>>8057785
dude op, did you save all your crewmates in the last mission in ME2? i lost Legion and miranda

>tfw
>>
>>8057785
>How do we reach faster than light travel,

You don't, and then you grow up.
/thread
>>
You can't, it is impossible.
>>
>>8057785
We don't need FTL. Sure for the peasants on Earth it might seem like it takes 1000 years to reach a star, but thanks to time dilation your crew can experience it even as 1 year. Basically if you want to travel you will need to leave the current state of civilization behind and just be self sufficient.
>>
I guess that each photon 'leaps' from one discrete piece of space-time to the next, crossing the vacuum gap.
A way of increasing the distance travelled (and thereby the relative velocity) would be to 'locally' increase the gaps between these discrete units. This may prove possible to mankind in the future.
>>
>>8057785
we dont.
>>
>>8058405
>thanks to time dilation your crew can experience it even as 1 year.
Not in the foreseeable future.
The fastest plausible spacecraft we can currently conceive without exotic, unattainable materials would be an Project-Orion type craft fueled by pure antimatter:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29#Interstellar_missions
> pure Matter-antimatter annihilation rockets would be theoretically capable of obtaining a velocity between 50% to 80% of the speed of light.
...and that's without saving any fuel for slowing down at the other end.
And even if you did get up to 0.8c, tau would be 0.6, so your "thousand years to the outside world" journey still takes 600 years for those on board.
And if you DO save fuel for slowing down, then at 0.4c, tau is 0.916, so the people on board experience 916 years for every thousand in the outside world.
But if the "50% of c" figure is correct, and you save fuel for decelerating, your top speed is 0.25c and tau is 0.968.
>>
>>8059584
p.s. Even if your wildest (yet sub-light) fantasies come true, time-dilation can only do so much:
http://convertalot.com/relativistic_star_ship_calculator.html
play with the numbers, you'll see what I mean.
Even if you could magically accelerate at 1g indefinitely, a thousand year journey would still take about 13.4 years on-board,
>>
File: 1461940313493.png (31KB, 694x968px) Image search: [Google]
1461940313493.png
31KB, 694x968px
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.